Transcode Throttling

moviefan
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

moviefan

5802d70f6020a_ScreenShot20161015at62501P

Can someone explain exactly what this does?  I get the general concept.  But is there like a specific CPU percentage that Emby will try to stay underneath when this setting is enabled?  Is there a specific bitrate it will stay underneath?

Any additional explanation would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Solution

It will pause the transcoder during processing when the transcoding position has gotten far enough ahead of the user playback position. Then when the user catches up, it will unpause it.

• Like 1

moviefan

Interesting.  Thanks for the explanation.

Does this setting not work if Hardware Acceleration is enabled?

I have Nvidia NVENC enabled and when remote users start watching my CPU goes up to 50% (ffmpeg.exe process) until the whole video is transcoded.

moviefan

I've been having pretty weird experiences with this setting lately:

- NVENC acceleration set, but FFPMEG that didnt actually support - playback worked great but CPU high

- NVENC set, with FFPMEG that supports - works okay but super blotchy sometimes

- Hardware acceleration disabled, throttling enabled - remote users complaining that their videos are freezing.  When I look in the dashboard, it appears like the transcode process (via the red line) has stopped and is not keeping up with the video.

- Hardware accel disabled, throttling disabled - same experience as above.

I have configured my system now to enable NVENC acceleration without the proper FFMPEG to get the best experience.  Weird setup, but it works flawlessly.  Doesn't seem right though.

Let me know if you'd like any logs to further diagnose.

the server will detect that your ffmpeg doesn't have nvenc and then it will not be used. at that point it's the same as if you hadn't enabled it.

moviefan

the server will detect that your ffmpeg doesn't have nvenc and then it will not be used. at that point it's the same as if you hadn't enabled it.

But transcode throttling is completely disabled in this case still.  In the testing that I have done as long as I enabled the drop down menu option (even without ffmpeg that has nvenc) the whole file is transcoded right away.

Which is weird because when I uncheck transcode throttling with the hardware acceleration selection set to none, it is not transcoding the file right away and remote users are complaining of freezing.

But transcode throttling is completely disabled in this case still.  In the testing that I have done as long as I enabled the drop down menu option (even without ffmpeg that has nvenc) the whole file is transcoded right away.

Right, that's what I said earlier.

Which is weird because when I uncheck transcode throttling with the hardware acceleration selection set to none, it is not transcoding the file right away and remote users are complaining of freezing.

This isn't true. Neither of those setting will influence whether transcoding happens or not. What's going on here is there is some other characteristic affecting that, but you're associating it with the configuration since that's all that you feel has changed.

moviefan

Right, that's what I said earlier.

I was just pointing out that your previous comment saying that "it's the same as if you hadn't enabled it" isn't entirely true because there is the difference of how it disables throttling.

This isn't true. Neither of those setting will influence whether transcoding happens or not. What's going on here is there is some other characteristic affecting that, but you're associating it with the configuration since that's all that you feel has changed.

Well, here's what I experienced:

- Built new server, enabled hardware acceleration (NVENC) with drop down menu.  Remote users were very happy.  Full transcoding was happening right away as evidenced by red line in dashboard under videos.

- Discovered that hardware acceleration wasn't actually working by analyzing CPU usage.  Realized this was because I didn't have a compatible ffmpeg file working.

- Downloaded and began using compatible ffmpeg file for hardware acceleration.  Did some testing and noticed a bunch of blocking and distorted views in some scenes.

- Disabled hardware acceleration (which re-enabled throttling).  Remote users complained of freezing and when I looked in the dashboard the transcode (red) line was sometime behind the playback (green) line.

- Disabled throttling and asked one user to try again.  He continued to have the same issue.  I wasn't able to reproduce on my side but I noticed other users restarting videos repeatedly as well.  When this was happening the transcode line was not fully completing again right when the video was started.

- Turned hardware acceleration back on with drop down menu, without compatible ffmpeg,  Transcodes started happening right away and users were happy once again.

Not sure what else to attribute the difference to so just wanted to give my experience in case this is seen again elsewhere.  Is there some other reason that the transcode line would not be completing with throttling disabled?  Have other users indicated issues with throttling in the past?

Thanks.