Change to convert ongoing recordings?

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I just updated to 3.0.81 tonight and I noticed a major difference in the CPU usage when using the Convert Recordings option for my HDHomerun Connect device. When recording from a tuner on this particular device the CPU usage used to hang around 7-8%. I always figured this was due to it using the Connect's hardware transcoding option so there was less CPU need on my Server PC. 

I know that this transcoding on the fly can be CPU intensive so I have always tried to record as many of my shows as possible via the Connect device because it was so low of a %.  However, when there is a conflict I will also use the Prime Device which generally uses about 23-28% of the CPU while converting, which is still pretty good compared to other transcoding I have seen in other server software.

Is it possible the server isn't using the Hardware transcoding of the Connect in this update? 

Here is my current server log and transcode log if that is helpful. There is a show recording at the time of this log.

record-transcode-be1b65c5-3931-4df8-981e-c4efd9c54a75.txt

server-63611986909.txt

As an additional request, if it's possible, could we have an option added where it simply remuxes the Ongoing recording to .mkv as well? This would still give me a container that the Shield will direct play without it hitting the CPU so hard. 

jasonmcroy

Ok, but it is different.

I have run 3 different recordings tonight and I see the connect device now running at the same % as the Prime. I have been watching my Task Manager all night. 

Here is a screen shot showing the Task Manager while my Prime and Connect are both recording at the same time.

post-106-0-43173100-1476412637_thumb.jpg

jasonmcroy

@@Luke - does changing the transcoding setting affect anything with the conversion process? Are they in any way interelated? 

Edited by jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Ok, I guess I need to find another solution my DVR? I don't feel like you're interested in investigating why it's using high CPU for me since the server update.