*Way off topic* Any gun owners on the forums with safe recommendations?

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

This isn't about media and forum administration please remove if it is a issue.

I know with all the money I have spent on my media and the world being what it is, more so in the US. I am looking at getting a handgun or two. Before I do I want to find a safe to store comfortably 2 handguns and some money and documents. I do not want a big safe as I am renting right now. I also want it to withstand kids. Any ideas?

P.S. Maybe a gun club forum?

• Like 1

It's legal to talk home protection. Why would it be an issue? You might want to rethink the 2 handguns and size of the safe. A shotgun goes a long way to deter intruders more than a handgun will, especially with solid shot rounds or buck shot. You want a safe hard to steal so avoid those "handgun only" safes. Get something big that goes in your closet and can fit a shotgun too. You can hunt duck with the shotgun as well so it is more versatile. Stock up on ammunition, and multiple magazines for the handguns so you can reload instantly. You first should visit a gun range and practice with different kinds of guns. Talk to others on the gun range about how they protect their families. Then start to think like Ash from EvilDead.. haw.. Next to the chainsaw, the best defense is the shotgun. :)

Also, my sister has a concealed carry permit and has a 9 millimeter with pink grips in her purse. The purse has a custom holster built into the side for instant access. She is a regional manager for a large corporate home improvement chain and sometimes is first to arrive at stores, last to leave sorta thing. The chain store with orange apron associates sell these rifle/gun safes like oxygen would sell on the moon. The smaller document/handgun safes are returned most often.

I personally prefer glock, the price is higher but it doesn't lose value. Same with mossberg shotguns. Guns are investments as well as home protection.

Edited by speechles

colejack

Something else you have to think about is if you are getting a safe is how easy it is to just pick up the safe and take it (ie, theft of the whole safe!) I've had family friends have a full size safe taken out of their home and the hinges/locks drilled out (they were on vacation). We're taking large, 20-30 firearm safes.

Also my preference on handguns are Smith & Wesson M&Ps. I have three of them.

Edited by colejack

Koleckai Silvestri

There are many different lockbox available for handguns. Those with thumb wheel combinations are most convenient and cost effective. However, they are only four digits so a determined kid can get in. More expensive models with thumbprint scanners are available these days as well. Fundamentally, they are a simple lockbox made of metal or rigid plastic with foam padding inside. Ours are metal. For security, you'll want something that can be easily reached and opened. You will also want something portable to visit the shooting range with. A lockbox will prevent the need for a separate trigger lock. If someone breaks in, they are easy to carry off but the real point of them is to protect loved ones who may not have had firearm safety lessons yet. A gun that is hard to retrieve in an emergency is worthless.

For other materials, we have a fireproof safe from Sentry. This has a standard combination lock and key to open. The guns are kept separately. Though if you get one of the larger safes, you can probably put a lockbox inside it. Depends on the gun and size of box needed.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Scott D

My 2 cents:

First thing to do is go down to a local gun range and talk with the folks there.  Take your time.  Ask questions.   Most of the employees at a gun range are very well informed and more than willing to discuss anything to do with guns.  Don't base your opinions on any one person, but look at it as an eye-opening experience.  Everyone has there own reasons for making the choices they have made, and you will have yours as well.

While at the gun range, check into getting your hands on a few of the guns available.  You will definitely want to put some lead downrange before you buy.  Bring the wife and kids (if age appropriate).  Let them get their hands on them as well.  Don't go big (even if that's what you do in Texas).  Comfort, control and experience are far more effective than big and clumsy.  "Gun Control" should be keeping a tight grouping at (insert distance here).

Next,  get educated.  Take classes at the gun range.  Learn the laws.  Every state, and even some communities have varying laws.  Educate the children.  They don't need to fire them, but they do need to learn to respect them.  What to do if they encounter one.  Check your lease agreement.  Some locales allow for a property owner to restrict your 2nd Amendment Rights.

Next, do your own homework.  The Internet is a wonderful thing, but can also be overwhelming if you don't control your search.  Read reviews, trade publications, etc.  Don't rely on Billy-Bob and his cousin Kooter as being the know-it-all's they will lead you to believe.  Everyone has their own reasons for liking the choices they have made.

As you start to narrow your search down on a gun, learn what it takes to maintain the gun.  That will be your responsibility as well, and you certainly don't want to exceed your capabilities by purchasing a gun you cannot maintain.

Once you are well informed and have made your decision on what guns you will own, then make your decision on the safe based on the needs you have created.

Most important of all.  GET EDUCATED and PRACTICE.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

No offence guys - but i'm glad i live in the UK and don't have to think like this

I've used a few guns for fun shooting the odd clay pigeon or grey squirrel but that's the limit for me - was fun i admit

Stay safe 

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Lol, I'm sorry but a couple handguns to protect your media ... :huh: I can understand standard home defense. I've always owned a 20 gauge with three shells ready to go. It's part of growing up in the sticks. Also a cheap .22 rifle can be handy for occasional coyotes or to ward off anything you might think is rabid approaching property in the daytime. Plus they are cheap (gun as well as ammo) and fun to shoot for target practice

Training and practice!!!!

A lot of people want to make the Glock thing work for them, but striker fire triggers are something you love or hate. I hate it. They are no doubt cheap, and with a lot of practice can be accurate. My overall rec is to go to a range that will let you rent a few models. I prefer a S&W 1911. The smoothest and most accurate I've fired, plus a ton of durability.

For me it's a hobby these days. The best thing you can do for defense, IMO, is move to better neighborhoods. I moved primarily for FiOS, but that's a whole different story. Someday when the sticks get good ISP options I'll probably move back. I do prefer the quieter life

Edited by dark_slayer

• 2 weeks later...
mediacowboy

Lol, I'm sorry but a couple handguns to protect your media ... :huh: I can understand standard home defense. I've always owned a 20 gauge with three shells ready to go. It's part of growing up in the sticks. Also a cheap .22 rifle can be handy for occasional coyotes or to ward off anything you might think is rabid approaching property in the daytime. Plus they are cheap (gun as well as ammo) and fun to shoot for target practice

Training and practice!!!!

A lot of people want to make the Glock thing work for them, but striker fire triggers are something you love or hate. I hate it. They are no doubt cheap, and with a lot of practice can be accurate. My overall rec is to go to a range that will let you rent a few models. I prefer a S&W 1911. The smoothest and most accurate I've fired, plus a ton of durability.

For me it's a hobby these days. The best thing you can do for defense, IMO, is move to better neighborhoods. I moved primarily for FiOS, but that's a whole different story. Someday when the sticks get good ISP options I'll probably move back. I do prefer the quieter life

Okay it isn't just the media but the server and my family. More so the family. For now with kids between the ages of 8 - 10 months and renting. I didn't want or have room for a big safe.

I did settle on a decent safe. I bought a stack on digital safe. I know I have $1000 invested in my two glock's now but this safe isn't meant to keep my guns from being stolen but to keep my kids away from them at this age.

I will take you guys advice when I move into my own house and have room to truly buy a good strong safe that I can bolt to concrete.

Again thanks for the advice.

• 4 weeks later...
Never_More

It's always nice to see someone asking others advice on gun ownership And the proper way to store a gun. The first and foremost advice is respect. All ways remember once you pull the trigger there is no taking it back. Safety is the goal of all responsible gun owners.

I myself have 7guns of all different calibers and makes... I'm so paranoid about safety all my guns have trigger locks and are in a safe with all my ammunition in another fire safe. Being in the military and in a arms room instilled safety in all matters weapons.

It only takes one bad gun owner to make all Gun's look evil to non gun owner's.

For your choices of your guns will all depend what you like and how it responds to you. One owner may recommend a few.45 or a Glock 9mm.. it's all in what you feel. You may (as many said ) go to a range ask if they have different opinions. Ask a friend who has a gun if they will let you try what they have.

For home defense there is no better than a 12-20 guage pump . Ask any who have heard the noise of it being cocked in a dark room late at night.

On that note one last thing. A wall in a home will not stop any type of slug .. if youare going to use your gun for home defense. You may want to think on looking for ammunition just for that purpose. keep in mind it may be your child, wife or next door neighbor who gets hurt.

Once you pull the trigger there is no way of taking it back. I know this by experience.

Edited by Never_More