Can No Longer Connect From Any Device/App

JMD
Go to solution Solved by JMD,

Ive been running Emby for a few months mostly using a Roku and occasionally an Android device.  Lately all of the devices are able to see the server but can't connect nor can I connect from a laptop using the ip address or the Windows 10 App.  I uninstalled and reinstalled both the server (v3.0.7300.0) and all of the apps.  Ive also opened both the TCP and UDC ports in Windows 10 firewall (this has never been an issue previously).  I was going to add it to port forwarding in my router but dont have the login/password ATM (again this has not been an issue in the past)

I cant think of anything that has changed to cause Emby not to work.  Like I said all apps can see the server but cannot connect to it.

I really like Ebmy and would like to continue to use it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

Did your windows server running Windows 10 perform an update? The anniversary update makes the network type public for some reason. You need to set it back to private, not public. The anniversary update also wipes the windows homegroup the machine is in. Arrghhh!! It also, as you noticed already, removes the windows firewall rules for emby. Bad Microsoft!!

Edited by speechles

Thanks for your reply.  Yes it took the latest update.  The network type is set to private.  Firewall rules are set up to allow Emby.  I had to resetup the Homegroup.  Still cant connect though.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it took the latest update. The network type is set to private. Firewall rules are set up to allow Emby. I had to resetup the Homegroup. Still cant connect though.

Did the IP of the emby server change? Are you using emby connect or manually entering the server/IP?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Im not sure how I would know if the IP address changed.  Im using Emby connect and also trying to connect manually using the IP reported in the dashboard.  No luck with either.

Happy2Play

External connections are not going to work if the ports are not forwarded to the right computer from the router.  Could you have been using "Enable automatic port mapping" and it got disabled?  Dashboard-Advanced- at the bottom  No of this should affect local devices though.  Really only the firewall should be the only thing blocking in a LAN environment.

Have you tried shutting Emby down deleting the firewall rules and restarting Emby to recreate the rules?

You mentioned an android device. If you get the application fing and have it scan for devices you should see the server. The server IP should be listed as microsoft/windows media sharing since by default this is enabled. The IP in the dashboard should match this. If both IP are the same the issue is either windows firewall or security software. Does the router have a firewall running over the NAT? Is uPNP enabled? Have you ever restarted the router?

94e06887a790a49c657847d2c59ea5b4.jpg

The server should appear using the "emby" name in front when fing sees it.

Edited by speechles

Deleted the firewall rules and restarted the Emby server.  There are no rules that I can see that were created by Emby with the restart.  Auto port mapping is on.

Downloaded Fing on Android device and the Emby server IP is NOT listed, However Plex is listed.  Cant get into the router ATM but I dont believe there is a firewall running.  Unsure about uPNP but I think it is enabled.

Deleted the firewall rules and restarted the Emby server. There are no rules that I can see that were created by Emby with the restart. Auto port mapping is on.

Downloaded Fing on Android device and the Emby server IP is NOT listed, However Plex is listed. Cant get into the router ATM but I dont believe there is a firewall running. Unsure about uPNP but I think it is enabled.

There should be a "notification popup". Emby server wants to do stuff, do you want to allow it? This then sets the firewall rule accordingly. Emby does this automatically through upnp at first run. If this isnt happening you might have to open the firewall manually for emby. Emby should appear the same way plex is showing if dlna is enabled. Emby has dlna enabled by default. You have no malware/spyware/rootkit software running on that machine blocking emby? Edited by speechles

Im not running any malware/spyware/rootkit software.  I deleted the server and reinstalled it twice.  Install goes fine but when I go to run Emby it now takes about 1 minute to load (previously it was maybe 10 seconds) and gives the following error "Unhandled exception: One or more errors occurred".  After clicking OK the server appears to load.  In the windows firewall rules there are 4 Emby entries:

All UDP ports open - Private

All UDP ports closed - Public

All TCP ports open - Private

All TCP ports closed - Public

IP still not showing up in Fing

Is this corrrect?  I still cant connect with any device

Check windows firewall for any rules blocking mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe. i bet that's what happened.

Check windows firewall for any rules blocking mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe. i bet that's what happened.

See the post above yours.  2 private ports are open and 2 public ports are closed.  Is that how its supposed to be?

No, you should remove the blocking rules. What's happening is windows is creating those rules and we're still trying to figure out why.

Its that error that occurs as you start emby. It must be dropping the http daemon. You need to restart your PC. Let it perform any updates and boot back up. Now install directly from the website over your current copy. This should fix that error hopefully.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Windows 10 had an update yesterday.. After the update I reinstalled the Emby server.  I no longer get the error on starting the server but I still cant connect from any device. This is very annoying and I do really appreciate everyone's help.  Thank you !

Happy2Play

I would change them both.  Right now it is just a test since we have no idea why your server is acting up.

Reinstalled the server since there was an update to 3.0.8 and changed all the ports (http, https, private & public) still cant connect and the server doesnt show up on Fing android app either.

We're clearly dealing with a network layer issue here.  Something is blocking it.  You just have to figure out what...

Happy2Play

If possible do you have another machine you can do a test install one?