EVR is letterboxed, everything else is jerky

stettler

You should try to simplify your setup for testing purpose. Start with just your TV connected by HDMI to your HTPC. If it works, then try to add things so you will see what is causing the problem.

I don't know what MediaPortal use. But I think Emby is not using "full screen exclusive mode". It's using "windowed mode in full screen". There may be a big difference in performances between the two. Maybe MediaPortal is using the full screen exclusive mode.

You could also check what MediaPortal is using to play video. If it used EVR, EVR+ or MadVR, you could try to copy the setting and set the same when playing from ET.

Thanks @@stettler - I did try a lot of different connections to troubleshoot, and couldn't come up with anything where EVR+ would play totally smoothly. It did seem to improve a little when I had the TV set as an extended desktop instead of the primary monitor, but it still wouldn't play completely judder free.

There are things that I can't compromise in that room, if Emby is going to be able to replace MediaPortal it must be able to run with the current set up (eg video to TV / audio to amp / video to a second monitor). Which doesn't seem too much to ask to be honest!

MediaPortal is using LAV and I did check that the LAV settings were the same as for ET (they are).

I don't know if MP uses full screen or windowed mode, but I did try all of those settings in MAdVR, with no success.

So, on your systems does the GPU usage go up just by opening Emby Theatre, even if you are not playing back video?

stettler

Sure, it has to work with your set-up. But to try to find what is causing the problem and, hopefully, fix it, you should start with a basic set-up and if it works, then add others elements to it one at a time until you find what is causing the problem.

You can't set the windowed mode or full screen mode in MadVR. You can only change how it behave when it is in one of those mode. It's ET, or the application you use to play video, that need to support those modes. Full screen exclusive bypass a lot of stuff from Windows GUI so it's a lot faster. But it cause other problems which is why ET may not support it (the ET overlay won't work in exclusive mode except if it is programmed to use MadVR api)

No, on my system the GPU usage doesn't go up just by opening ET. It stays at 1-3% and that's with an old intel hd graphic gpu integrated to the cpu. It's way less powerfull than your Nvidia card. What you are experiencing isn't "normal" so I don't think it's a question of resources.

Thank for the reply - I do appreciate your input. I just tried quickly on my laptop - Windows 10 / Intel HD 520 / i3 6100U and the GPU goes from 0% to 58% just by opening Emby Theatre!

It is very confusing.

I have got quite a few Windows machines in the house, and they all show a similar GPU increase by opening ET, so I don't think it is localised to the 'problem' set up in the lounge. I also did disconnect everything from the lounge PC except the power and one HDMI cable to the AVR for audio and video, and it still didn't have enough GPU power to playback EVR+ smoothly. I think I have to accept that it isn't going to happen with things as they are.

Be interesting to see if the more powerful GPU is the solution, if not I'll return it and probably have to go back to MediaPortal.

I think I must be very fussy or have a very niche set-up. EVR does work with the recorded HD TV files (.ts), but I really notice the ghosting now, it looks so much better with EVR+.

stettler

I made some more test: On a Windows 7 computer, the GPU load is 1-2% when ET is running. On a Windows 10 computer, the GPU load is 100% when ET is running. On that computer, the load is actualy lower when playing a movie (droping to 40-50%).

I don't know if the difference comes from Windows 7 and Windows 10 or from something else (they are not exactly the same hardware as the Windows 7 computer is using an older desktop I5 CPU and the Windows 10 is using a N3700 CPU.

I will open another thread and put that as a bug...

@@stettler - thanks for that. I have seen a couple of other threads now where users are reporting high resource usage, so there does seem to be something odd going on, hopefully we will get a fix, or at least some clarity, soon!

Thanks for the input.

Windows scaling at 100%

I'd not heard of DPC Checker, but I downloaded it, ran it, and here is a screengrab (looks okay):

58035f82adcf8_Capture.jpg

puithove

A couple things for you to try.  

I had noticed some performance loss in my games after the Anniversary update.  I found this:  https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/4xu9vi/bad_fps_after_latest_win10_anniversary_update_got/

I remembered turning off the DVR option when first setting up the Win10 box, but as this mentions, it gets turned back on after the update.

That might explain some of your GPU performance loss.  The video renderers are using texture units in the GPU just like a game would, so this does apply.

As for the sync issues with EVR and EVR+... I've noticed the same symptoms on one device... and then discovered that at some point my display had been switched to 48hz.  So when I was playing LiveTV which should run at 59hz, the sync was way off and would continue to drift when using either EVR or EVR+.  Set the display to 59, and it runs just fine - stays in sync.  Unfortunately I haven't had much luck with the option in ET that is supposed to set the refresh rate to match the video, so I have that option turned off.  You might want to verify what refresh rate your display is actually set to and if it's not matching the video being played, it could explain your sync issues.

Thanks @@puithove I logged into the xbox app and turned off the DVR option, it doesn't seem to have had an effect on GPU usage, but I'll carry on monitoring it.

Refresh rate is okay, I do use refresh rate switching, but the sync issues also occur with TV files that are 50fps, the TV is set at 50hz natively so no refresh rate switching occurs with those, and I do monitor that it is running correctly.

babgvant

Thanks @@puithove I logged into the xbox app and turned off the DVR option, it doesn't seem to have had an effect on GPU usage, but I'll carry on monitoring it.

Refresh rate is okay, I do use refresh rate switching, but the sync issues also occur with TV files that are 50fps, the TV is set at 50hz natively so no refresh rate switching occurs with those, and I do monitor that it is running correctly.

What audio renderer are you using?

babgvant

They are quite big, but mostly fixed now since I split the audio and video out of the HTPC.

What does this mean?

Is there any difference in behavior b/w that and the Default?

I just checked, and no, the Default Audio Renderer behaves the same way as WASAPI

Edited by Guest

What does this mean?

I used to have HDMI out of graphics card into Sony AVR, then a HDMI out of Sony AVR into the TV.

Now I have DVI out of the graphics card into the Sony AVR for audio only / and a separate HDMI out of the graphics card into the TV for video only.

babgvant

I used to have HDMI out of graphics card into Sony AVR, then a HDMI out of Sony AVR into the TV.

Now I have DVI out of the graphics card into the Sony AVR for audio only / and a separate HDMI out of the graphics card into the TV for video only.

You don't generally want to do this unless there's a really compelling reason. HDMI carries transport sync information along with the A/V streams. Any processing latency added along the path will not be added to both outputs in this scenario.

So for e.g. if GPU rendering in the PC adds a few ms of latency to the video stream, the audio stream will not be adjusted to include this information. The reverse is true for any audio processing in the AVR (or PC if adding effects).

You don't generally want to do this unless there's a really compelling reason. HDMI carries transport sync information along with the A/V streams. Any processing latency added along the path will not be added to both outputs in this scenario.

So for e.g. if GPU rendering in the PC adds a few ms of latency to the video stream, the audio stream will not be adjusted to include this information. The reverse is true for any audio processing in the AVR (or PC if adding effects).

I did it because I thought my AVR may be causing the sync issues - could that be possible?

babgvant

I did it because I thought my AVR may be causing the sync issues - could that be possible?

if you remove it from the chain (i.e. only connect the TV) do you still see the issue?

if you remove it from the chain (i.e. only connect the TV) do you still see the issue?

I won't have any audio then, so would not be able to tell!

Your TV doesn't have speakers?

Ah, of course it has, but I have never used them!

Okay, I set that up - configured it for HDMI from GPU to TV and audio through speakers. Sync seemed much better in MadVR and EVR+, but a little out in EVR (this is with 23.976 fps files, I have configured the Nvidia drivers to do a custom refresh rate of 23.976, and MadVR reports it as actually being 23.978),

Obviously, I need to use my AVR for audio though, so I can use the home cinema sound set-up.