EVR is letterboxed, everything else is jerky

Thanks, it looks like my AVR was causing the lip sync problem at 24p, so at least I've overcome one issue. Still got dropped frames and letterboxing to resolve. I'm interested to try the MadVR settings posted in this thread. And to see if the sample files help the devs to fix any bugs.

Edited by Guest

Guest asrequested

Hopefully I can provide useful information for Babgvant, after I test your file. Though I suspect he won't need it.

Guest asrequested

Ok Lisa. I did a bunch of testing. First off, without refresh rate matching enabled, it played perfectly with every configuration I tried. The only issue I had, was letterboxing in EVR. In EVR+ and MadVR, smooth motion at full screen. With refresh rate matching enabled, neither EVR nor EVR+ would match refresh rate (possibly because it's PAL). The only way I could match the refresh rate was to enter the value in MadVR

57f32aa77aa38_Snapshot_293.jpg

When it switches refresh rate, two things happen. 

• Juddering
  • Letterboxing.

The juddering can be prevented my selecting 'Always' for smooth motion. Both in the ET UI and in the MadVR UI. Also 'Stable' filters

57f32c2144278_Snapshot_295.jpg

57f32c43396a8_Snapshot_296.jpg

57f32fb23ca13_Snapshot_294.jpg

The letterboxing however, I was not able to rectify. Your file is interlaced, and if you look at the MadVR display mode I entered, it's set to 'p' progressive. If I set it to 'i' interlaced, the picture is stretched to the sides of the screen but not the height. Maybe at this point @@babgvant can work his magic. But again, without refresh rate matching, the file plays perfectly in EVR+ and MadVR

Guest asrequested

Stettler, I got the same with yours. 

Refresh rate changing makes a mess of it. Without that, it plays well

stettler

Stettler, I got the same with yours. 

Refresh rate changing makes a mess of it. Without that, it plays well

Yes, I know it works fine. It was just for the "black border" thing (it's not really letterboxed as there is border all around the picture) with EVR.

With MadVR, I can play anything fine. But I had to change some settings depending on the CPU/GPU. I have a NUC with a Intel N3700 which use a HD Graphics (Braswell) based on the HD Graphics 5300 and it will only works with upscaling set to XDVA2. On a older Intel with HD Graphics 3500, I can use other methods, like bilinear, without problems as long as they don't take too much resources. 

I can't list the display mode in MadVR with my TV (one of the latest LG): I get a black screen whatever mode I set. But with another TV, I can set some modes. Anyway, I dont think you should set "change monitor rate" in ET and "switch to matching display mode" in MadVR at the same time: They are the same thing and one of them is enough. I enabled it in ET and disabled it in MadVR: the frame rate change correctly whatever I play, including 24p.

That's interesting @. I presume you are in the US? I'm in the UK and have my global refresh rate set at 50hz. So refresh rate switching does not activate for this file.

At which refresh rate did you get it to play back smoothly?

Edited by Guest

Guest asrequested

That's interesting @. I presume you are in the US? I'm in the UK and have my global refresh rate set at 50hz. So refresh rate switching does not activate for this file.

Yeah, NTSC is 60hz. It played perfectly at 60hz. 

57f347c0b5469_Untitled7.png

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Yes, I know it works fine. It was just for the "black border" thing (it's not really letterboxed as there is border all around the picture) with EVR.

With MadVR, I can play anything fine. But I had to change some settings depending on the CPU/GPU. I have a NUC with a Intel N3700 which use a HD Graphics (Braswell) based on the HD Graphics 5300 and it will only works with upscaling set to XDVA2. On a older Intel with HD Graphics 3500, I can use other methods, like bilinear, without problems as long as they don't take too much resources. 

I can't list the display mode in MadVR with my TV (one of the latest LG): I get a black screen whatever mode I set. But with another TV, I can set some modes. Anyway, I dont think you should set "change monitor rate" in ET and "switch to matching display mode" in MadVR at the same time: They are the same thing and one of them is enough. I enabled it in ET and disabled it in MadVR: the frame rate change correctly whatever I play, including 24p.

EVR+ played it with ease

Okay, so you can play back my file at 60hz using MadVR, but you get one frame drop every 50 seconds? The problem I have is that I am very sensitive to dropped frames, and refresh rate judder, and audio / video sync issues. I can watch both files to some degree using EVR+ and MadVR but every now and then I see a skipped frame, and it is annoying as hell! I have tried hitting Ctrl + J to see some stats but never got any, but this thread has told me how to get those, so I'll try again.

If you do use refresh rate switching though, you say it judders? So if you play back the 25fps file @ 50hz - it doesnt play smooth? That seems wrong, don't you think?

Guest asrequested

Okay, so you can play back my file at 60hz using MadVR, but you get one frame drop every 50 seconds? The problem I have is that I am very sensitive to dropped frames, and refresh rate judder, and audio / video sync issues. I can watch both files to some degree using EVR+ and MadVR but every now and then I see a skipped frame, and it is annoying as hell! I have tried hitting Ctrl + J to see some stats but never got any, but this thread has told me how to get those, so I'll try again.

If you do use refresh rate switching though, you say it judders? So if you play back the 25fps file @ 50hz - it doesnt play smooth? That seems wrong, don't you think?

No, it's one frame every 0.5 secs. But that's of the upscaled frame rate. The original is 25 fps. If you lost some of those, you'd notice it, but this is a loss of the 60 fps. You're gaining frames, not losing them. The motion is even smoother than the original. And it also plays the same with EVR+

Edited by Doofus

Okay. I'm confused, can you clarify for me please?. So, you are suggesting that I play the file back at 60hz in MadVR - I don't have a powerful enough graphics card to do anything too fancy in MadVR - so what settings do I need to use in MadVR? Also, it seems really illogical. Surely 50hz would be a closer frame match than 60hz.?

Ctrl + J does not work for me in MadVR but stettler posted some instructions earlier on in this thread about what to change to get it working.

Guest asrequested

Okay. I'm confused, can you clarify for me please?. So, you are suggesting that I play the file back at 60hz in MadVR - I don't have a powerful enough graphics card to do anything too fancy in MadVR - so what settings do I need to use in MadVR? Also, it seems really illogical. Surely 50hz would be a closer frame match than 60hz.?

Ctrl + J does not work for me in MadVR but stettler posted some instructions earlier on in this thread about what to change to get it working.

No. Mine only plays at 60hz because that is what my tv is set to. My display adapter is set to let the app take control of the video playback. So even with EVR+ it plays back at that rate. I have an i7 6700k, which has QuickSync. But is doesn't take much effort to do this. 

Never

Okay, that is quite niche. Maybe your i7 is much more powerful than my i3. But playing everything at a mis-matched frame rate and using MadVR to sort out the judder, I am guessing, is quite system resource heavy.

Guest asrequested

Okay, that is quite niche. Maybe your i7 is much more powerful than my i3. But playing everything at a mis-matched frame rate and using MadVR to sort out the judder, I am guessing, is quite system resource heavy.

57f350faa2a75_Snapshot_297.jpg

stettler

EVR+ played it with ease

Yes, same...

To summarize:

EVR: Play fine but with black border all around

EVR+: Play fine (but then some video have problems with subtitle position)

MadVR: Play fine as long as MadVR settings are fine for the CPU/GPU resources you have.

If MadVR shows a lot of droped frames, that's probably because there isn't enough resources. Try using a faster resizing method.

If MadVR shows a lot of "presentation glitches" then there is a problem between MadVR and the GPU driver (or something like that). I had that with a recent Intel CPU/GPU and I fixed it by letting the GPU handle the resizing itself (using the DXVA2 method).

When I speak of judder, I don't mean the small glitch caused by refresh rate: I mean that it looks like the frame rate is very very low (1-5 frames / sec). It's the result of droped frame or presentation glitches.

stettler

Your computer monitor/TV refresh rate is probably set to 60hz (or 59.9) because that's what computers usualy use. The output of a computer is not PAL or NTSC so it's different (check in the graphic setting of your computer).

To play at 50Hzs correctly, your TV will have to switch to that mode, even if it's a PAL TV, because, to display the ET interface, or your computer desktop, it will be set to 60Hz.

When playing the video, you really need to look at the information given by your TV and what refresh rate it is actually using. Only way to make sure.

stettler

If you use madVR, enable avoid judder

Really, I am not sure you are both speaking of the same kind of judder...

This setting is to reduce judder if there is a mismatch between the the video frame rate and the TV frame rate. In most case, it's barely noticable and most modern TV can handle the various rates (yes, PAL is 50Hz. But all modern PAL TV have computer input and so need to handle 60Hz in a reasonable way).

If you have really noticable "judder", that make watching the video totaly impossible, than it's probably another problem. It's probably because you are losing a lot of frames because of errors.

As a start, I would disable "avoid judder" to reduce the load. I would try either a low resources upscaling method or letting the GPU handle it. Once you have a setting that play okish, without frames drop or presentation glitches, you can try to enable back features or use algorithm that need more resources. As long as you have frame drop or presentation glitches, there is no point playing with refresh rates and such: that must be solved first.

@lisag Can you post a picture of the MadVR statistics while you are playing a video?

Edited by stettler