Lip Sync problem

On the main HTPC in the lounge, I am having lip sync issues.

This machine has an Intel i3 and Nvidia GT 730 connected via HDMI to a Sony AV Receiver which is then connected to a Sony 55 inch LCD TV.

The audio video lag is worse when using MadVR renderer, and less when using EVR, video is jerky when using EVR+

I have audio set to WASAPI - using Reclock makes it worse.

I think this is a new issue, I have been a user for about 3 or 4 months now, and although I have noticed occasional sync issues, I am noticing it all the time now, on this machine.

It happens with a range of different file types, some are worse than others.

I have done a range of troubleshooting, including different video players / cables / graphics cards, and I am pretty sure it is this version of Emby Theatre (version 22) on this particular machine that is the problem.

If I exit Emby Theater and switch to a different player (eg MediaPortal) and playback the exact same file, on the same machine - it is in sync.

I have ET running on some other client machines, and I'm not noticing the issue there - these are lower spec machines, and are using stereo analog audio out.

Jdiesel

What are your madVR settings? Default?

Do you have refresh rate switch enabled? If so does is issue exits with refresh rate switching disabled?

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, MadVR are at default settings.

I did just try a total uninstall and re-install of ET, and that did seem to help on a recorded TV file (50fps).

I then tried a 24fps file with auto refresh rate switching switched on, and it was horribly out of sync.

I switched the auto refresh rate switching off, played the file again, and it was much better!

So, it could be that when the refresh rate switching is in action, the audio and video goes out of sync, is there a fix or workaround for this?

I'd like the video to be in sync with the audio, and free of refresh rate judder, I don't really want to have to choose one or the other  :wacko:

Jdiesel

What TV do you have? My guess is that the 24p mode on you TV is causing the lipsync due to processing features which delay the video. Every TV is a little bit different but have a look in your TV's settings for things like "motion" "cinema" or "film" modes and try disabling them.

Thanks, it is a Sony 55W829 - a 55 inch LCD. The only setting I have switched on is motionflow, I tried switching it off, and it does help a bit, but I massively miss it. The video looks much worse with it switched off, there is slight 'ghosting' on moving images.

Jdiesel

Google "24p Lipsync" and you will find thousands of mentions of issues like this. Sometimes the fix is simple and sometimes it is due to a combination of issues and can be quite complex. As someone who is sensitive to lipsync issues I feel your pain. I have fought with it on many different pieces of hardware and software throughout the years. As I see it some of your options are:

1. Discontinue using madVR as it adds video processing delays especially on weaker GPUs. Reducing the settings might be another option.

2. Disable Refresh rate switching and use 60hz for everything. You may enable smoothmotion in madVR to eliminate judder.

3. Disable Motionflow

4. Setting an audio delay for LAV audio in ET. This can only be done by editing the directshowplayer.xml in your userdata folder. A downside to adjusting the delay for 24p videos is that it may put 25,30,50,60fps videos out of sync. You can always split the difference between the two. You could also set this delay on your AVR if you have one.

5. Try switching between bitstreaming and PCM audio.

It may take trying a few different things and combinations to eventually find a fix or at least something you are satisfied with. When I had issues with my old setup I decided that I liked setting the TV at 60hz, disabling refresh rate switching, enabling smooth motion in madVR, and adjusting the LAV audio delay to get it perfect as the best fix. 

Edited by Jdiesel

Thanks so much for this info, it is really helpful, if not a little depressing  :unsure:

I have been fiddling around with multiple settings and can't find a combination that works for me in every area. I am in the UK, so most of my content is 50fps, but I do have a lot of films that are at 24p and I really want to watch them in best possible quality. I'll keep trying different settings though.

I am coming over to Emby from MediaPortal, as I really like the GUI, server, and multi platform set up of Emby. But it is going to be hard to justify remaining if I am losing playback quality on the main HTPC in the house.

What is puzzling me is why my MediaPortal 1 set up can do all of this - match refresh rates and keep the audio / video in sync - using the exact same hardware?

Then I remembered that I use the MediaPortal Audio renderer with forced AC3 encoding at 448 bitrate - this is what must be keeping everything in sync.

I then had a look in the Emby Theatre config folder and found the directshowplayer.xml that you mention. It doesn't make immediate sense to me, but I am sure I could edit it with some simple(ish) instructions.

There seems to be some options in here that might help me, particularly with using encoding, such as <EnablePCMMixing> <EnableTimeStretching> and even MPAudio Renderer.

How do I use these, they don't seem to be in the main settings GUI, or mentioned in the wiki?

Jdiesel

They are considered advanced settings are are typically not needed. I would suggest not changing anything other than the audio delay. I can't remember the exact tag for it and I don't have access at the moment to check.

UPDATE: I have had some success by splitting audio and video out of the HTPC. I now have DVI out of graphics card to HDMI in to TV for video and HDMI out of graphics card into the Sony AVR for audio. This has helped a lot to improve the audio / video sync at 24fps (or 23.976) so maybe my AVR was introducing some delay at that frame rate. Seems odd, but that is my findings.

I do notice a lot of dropped frames, so I am working on using Reclock to correct those. That is not without it's challenges  :(

Guest asrequested

If you're splitting them and don't require greater than 5.1 audio, have you tried using HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver?

If you're splitting them and don't require greater than 5.1 audio, have you tried using HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver?

I do require high quality 5.1 audio so that arrangement would not work for me, I would lose lots of audio quality.

You're AVR will have delay settings.

Indeed it does, but I do not want to manually configure it each time I play back a video at a different frame rate.

Guest asrequested

I do require high quality 5.1 audio so that arrangement would not work for me, I would lose lots of audio quality.

Optical will stream 5.1 but not above. You only need HDMI for streams with 6.1 ES or 7.1 TrueHD. If you only stream AC3 or DTS you should be fine.

Indeed it does, but I do not want to manually configure it each time I play back a video at a different frame rate.

It should be defaulted and not have to be re-adjusted

I want full quality high bit rate audio that optical does not support such as Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD, True HD and multi channel PCM. Also, I don't know what my TV supports in terms of audio pass through, but I don't think that would have any benefit to my current arrangement of splitting the audio and video out from the HTPC?

Also, the issue is that the out of sync only occurs on videos that have frame rates of 23.976 / 24 fps, where the TV switches to 1080p/24, so setting a global delay to correct this would just mean that videos at other frame rates would be out of sync instead, eg 50hz / 60hz

It is a Sony 3500ES AVR.

Guest asrequested

I don't see anything on page 28 that helps? It is all set to auto and amp only. Amp no longer passing through video, as explained.

Try page 81

57f1432b7110f_Snapshot_291.jpg

Ah yes, I am aware of that setting - it is very annoying and is switched off, as is all other processing. When it says 24p auto sound sync, it doesn't mean audio - video sync, it is about applying a certain sound processing feature (HD-DCS) when it detects a 24p signal. 

Guest asrequested

Ok, one last idea. Have you tried replacing the LAV filters and MadVR filters? You can download them from the source and replace the existing files.

Madvr

LAV

Guest asrequested

I uninstalled and re-installed Emby Theater, which I presume would do the same thing.

No, it won't..at least not in the same way

Edited by Doofus