Madvr not working correctly

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

@@babgvant In some recent updates to ET I have noticed video playback not being smooth using evr or evr+ so I tried today to use the MadVR setting. However, when I try to play a video I get a black screen but still get audio. Then, when I try to exit the App it hangs up with a spinning circle and won't close. I have to pull up the task manager and kill it manually. Earlier today I saw a little pop up box with a message saying that MadVR crashed but this last time I just tried that box didn't show up.

Here are my latest logs from just trying to play with it again.

I am on the desktop version on my HTPC (not the Windows store version)

ET log:

theater-63610087444.txt

Server log:

server-63610012800.txt

Guest asrequested

Check this line in the directshowplayer.xml file. What is the number?

<NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>1400</NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>

jasonmcroy

Check this line in the directshowplayer.xml file. What is the number?

<NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>1400</NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>

Here is the line that I found: <NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>1400</NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>

Guest asrequested

Here is the line that I found: <NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>1400</NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>

Ok, and you're sure your MadVr settings are correct?

jasonmcroy

I have never touched any settings. All that I have ever done is select MadVR in the settings section in Emby Theater and nothing else. 

I have used it in earlier versions of ET (sometimes I switch back and forth between MadVR and EVR) and I never had any issues with it before.

jasonmcroy

Thanks. I tried that and now I get just a spinning circle. Then when I try to back out of that screen after hitting play it will finally start playing, but it's still just a black screen but the audio is there. 

I then tried uninstalling ET altogether and reinstalling. Same thing occurred with the existing MadVR folder so I tried your suggestion again but same thing occurred.

Guest asrequested

This almost sounds like something to do with your display adapter. Do you have the latest driver? Are you using any kind of hardware decoding?

jasonmcroy

No hardware decoder. I did just update my Graphics driver last week. I wonder if there is some issue with the last driver update causing an issue.

I haven't had any issues with using MadVR in ET before, so maybe that could explain it. Plus, even using EVR in the past with my recording TV, the picture quality was always fine as well. 

I haven't done any other changes to the HTPC that I am aware of. 

Do you have the 'Change refresh rate' option enabled when using MadVR? I had the same problem (black screen but with audio). If you do, you need to check your display modes in the MadVR config. I was getting so frustrated by this problem, it was driving me 'mad' (no pun intended).

jasonmcroy

Do you have the 'Change refresh rate' option enabled when using MadVR? I had the same problem (black screen but with audio). If you do, you need to check your display modes in the MadVR config. I was getting so frustrated by this problem, it was driving me 'mad' (no pun intended).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have Change Refresh Rate enabled. In fact, I usually keep all the settings pretty much at default unless I see issues.

Try rolling back your driver.

I tried that but still have the same problem and doing so also seems to have introduced a new problem. Now ET is starting to crash on me when I try to play a video. It's very frustrating because I have never had issues with ET until the last couple of updates. It has always worked flawlessly for me. I am out of ideas at the moment for what else to try.

Just use one of the evr variants and enjoy your video. With madvr there will be increased volatility due to driver updates that sometimes require a madvr update. If that's not something you want to have to deal with then I would use evr.

jasonmcroy

I will try that a little later on when I get back home and have a little more time. 

It seems like it's happening on all files. I have some Emby TV recordings that are transcoded into MKV, some Bluray rips (also to MKV) that I tried and some of my original TV recordings that are in the original .ts format. 

I also noticed this last couple of times I was playing around with it that when I changed the Video settings to use MadVR, exit the settings page, try a file then go back to settings they are reset somehow back to "Default" instead of what I changed it to. 

I will post my results later of a reinstall.

jasonmcroy

Just use one of the evr variants and enjoy your video. With madvr there will be increased volatility due to driver updates that sometimes require a madvr update. If that's not something you want to have to deal with then I would use evr.

Thanks Luke. The actual reason I even went back to trying MadVR is that my Emby TV recordings were starting to look choppy with the EVR and EVR+ settings. I had that happen once or twice in the past and switching over to MadVR back then resolved that issue with me. Otherwise I would just stick to EVR.

jasonmcroy

Yes, I've tried those before but I honestly have never noticed a difference between the two as far as how the video looks.

jasonmcroy

Not at this time. I can use either one that is working and I'm fine with that. Since EVR seems to be working now I will stick to it. Thanks for your help though!

EVR 'works', but if you're serious about video quality, then MadVR is the only real option. When properly configured, MadVR upscaling (inc Chroma) is faultless, and it can make even standard DVD rips look so much better. On my 4k TV, I really make use of it, *and* most importantly, it can switch refresh rate to match the source. There's nothing worse for me than watching something in the wrong refresh rate and watching it judder all over the place.

tjmcd.314

EVR 'works', but if you're serious about video quality, then MadVR is the only real option. When properly configured, MadVR upscaling (inc Chroma) is faultless, and it can make even standard DVD rips look so much better. On my 4k TV, I really make use of it, *and* most importantly, it can switch refresh rate to match the source. There's nothing worse for me than watching something in the wrong refresh rate and watching it judder all over the place.

Could you post your settings? I am in the process of setting up ET and am curious what settings you've found to be the most important for 4k image quality. Also ET has a refresh rate switching option, is that only for if you are using madvr? Or does madvr have it's only refresh rate switching option somewhere?

Guest asrequested

Could you post your settings? I am in the process of setting up ET and am curious what settings you've found to be the most important for 4k image quality. Also ET has a refresh rate switching option, is that only for if you are using madvr? Or does madvr have it's only refresh rate switching option somewhere?

Take a look here