Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • Local time: 01:53 PM
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

***Last Modified January 25, 2016***

I’ve put together a guide for setting up madVR on the new ET to help with those new to madVR and ET as well as hopefully narrowing down some of the issues that some individuals are having. As ET is still beta software there will likely be many changes in the short term. I will do my best to keep this guide updated. 

Pre-Install

The new ET includes all required filters packaged within the software including LAV, EVR, madVR, XySubFilter, and xy-VSFilter. This means no additional filters, renderers, or codecs need to be installed. 

1. First the Windows audio interfaces need to be configured if they have not previously been setup. Right click on the speaker icon in the notification area and select “Playback devices”.
Cc6Awin.png

2. Select your playback device and run the configuration for your systems capabilities.

3. Next you must make sure Window's Desktop Composition is enabled. This is enabled by default but it is worth checking to make sure it hasn't been disabled to avoid issues down the road. Navigate to the Windows system menu.
oXtJSzm.jpg

4. Go to Advanced System Settings
FerAgci.jpg

5. Performance Settings
OUjiO9l.jpg

6. Make sure Desktop composition is enabled

7. Also make sure the Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) service is set to automatically start. This can be done by opening the task manager and selecting services.
jsEusry.jpg

8, Right click on Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
uHRqRtL.jpg

9. Ensure startup type is set to automatic.
OU1L1pe.jpg

Installation

1. Download the ET installer from:

https://github.com/M...lease/setup.exe

2. Run the installer. Once it is complete you will hopefully see the ET login screen. I personally don’t use any virus scanning software other than windows Defender, if you use virus or firewall software you may have to add an exception for ET or disable it.

If you only see a black screen wait at least 5 minutes before force closing it. ET auto-updates itself and might be downloading assets during the startup. Try closing the black window and reloading ET. If you are still getting a black screen after waiting and restarting, post on the forum for further assistance.

ET will scan your network looking for any instances of Emby Server. Depending on your network configuration you may need to add it manually.
dvJVICM.png

4. Login using your credentials.

Configuration

1. Navigate to the person icon at the top right of the ET windows to open up the settings. The screenshots are my setup for madVR playback and bitstreamed audio over HDMI, your setup may differ.

***You should use DXVACopy2Back even if you have an Nvidia GPU***

SLZjAMv.png

DsV3LUT.png

J9810kv.png

aXyb9Iz.png

s6t6QxJ.jpg

uOWRGRw.png

2. Close ET after changing all your settings.

3. Open ET and restore the window if it is in full screen. Select a video from your library and start playback. Once the video is playing you can pause it but don’t stop it.

4. In your tray area there should be an icons for madVR. Currently the LAV audio and video control panels are not working by default therefore settings will have to be changed manually by editing the directshowplayer.xml in the %appdata% folder.

5. Next open the madVR control panel.
QhBoba0.png

6. Expand the devices menu and navigate to display modes. Enter all of the valid refreshrates your display supports.
g2V05zB.png

7. Next navigate to user interface-->keyboard shortcuts. Uncheck “use only if media player has keyboard focus”. Now pressing “Ctrl-J” during playback will bring up madVR’s OSD.
j3eq9cm.png

8. At this point you should have a working setup with madVR and bitstreaming HD-audio. Close ET and reopen it to make sure all the changes stuck. While playing a video hit “Ctrl-J” to bring up the madVR OSD where you can check to make sure the correct refreshrate is being used and if there are any dropped frames or presentation errors.

Edited by Jdiesel, 29 January 2016 - 09:07 PM.

• Luke, swhitmore, Abobader and 9 others like this

#2 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

RGB Levels

If you care at all about proper color and want to avoid color banding you must set your colorspace conversion chain correctly. Almost all TV’s operate in the RGB Limited (16-235) colorspace. Many TV’s will accept a RGB Full (0-255) signal but will internally convert it to RGB Limited. If you are unsure if your TV accepts RGB Full it is a safer bet to send it a RGB Limited signal, you won’t be missing out on any color information by doing this. PC monitors on the other hand accept RGB Full signals. If you are using a laptop or PC monitor you can output a RGB Full signal.

There are three points one must consider when outputting the best signal with the fewest conversions:

1. Converting the source video from Y'CbCr to RGB. This conversion is done by madVR and the output can be changed in the madVR control panel under devices-->properties.

01yZ1Vb.png

2. The GPU outputting the signal to your display. I believe the Intel, Nvidia, and AMD all have selectable options on whether RGB Limited or Full is outputted.

3. What your display does with the signal once it receives. Most displays will convert the signal to it’s native colorspace.  Almost all TV’s have a option in their menus to select what input signal they are expecting. It might be called “limited and full”, “low and normal”, “black level”, etc.

What does this mean? Depending how you intend to use your PC or Media Center there are a few options. I will list the three options that will give the best results without clipping the signal.

Option 1

If you use your PC or Media Center for not only ET but other programs and games this is the best option for you. This will give you correct colors on your desktop and in other programs while still outputting video with minimal colorspace conversion that isn't clipped. In this scenario madVR expands the source video to RGB Full, the GPU the converts the signal back down to RGB Limited and the TV receives the expected RGB Limited Signal.

madVR – RGB Full (0-255)

GPU – RGB Limited (16-235)

Display – RGB Limited (16-235)

Option 2

If you only use your PC or Media Center for ET or do not care about proper colors in other programs this is the best option as only one conversion is taking place. madVR expands the source video to RGB Limited, the GPU when set to RGB Full will pass the signal through as is without doing any conversion, and the display with receive a RGB Limited signal. Some displays can have issues with this scenario so it is best to compare it to option 1 and decide what looks better to you. When working properly option 2 should provide a better quality video with less color banding.

madVR – RGB Limited (16-235)

GPU – RGB Full (0-255)

Display – RGB Limited (16-235)

Option 3

This option only works if your display accepts RGB Full signals and is the best option for PC monitors and laptops. The source video is expanded to RGB Full, the GPU is set to RGB Full and does not do any conversions, and the display is expecting a RGB Full signal.

madVR – RGB Full (0-255)

GPU – RGB Full (0-255)

Display – RGB Full (0-255)

Profiles

1. In the madVR control panel select the “scaling algorithms” folder and select create profile group. Check all four boxes and create the new profile group.

QjfXxLa.png

fKIMAEi.png

2. A new subfolder will be created. You can click on it to bring up the settings. Give your profile group a name, I named mine “Emby Theater”.

3. Next we will enter the profile rules. These rules will determine what profile to use based on the resolution and frame rate of the video file. You do not need to add all the rules and can edit to suit your needs but for consistency sake I created rules based on the categories in my Recommended Settings section of this guide. Enter the following rules into the “profile auto select rules” field:

elseif (srcHeight < 481) and (deintFps < 26)"SD <25fps"

elseif (srcHeight < 481) and (deintFps > 26)"SD >25fps"

elseif (srcHeight < 721) and (deintFps < 26)"720p <25fps"

elseif (srcHeight < 721) and (deintFps > 26)"720p >25fps"

elseif (srcHeight < 1081) and (deintFps < 26)"1080p <25fps"

elseif (srcHeight < 1081) and (deintFps > 26)"1080p >25fps"

elseif (deintFps < 26)"2160p <25fps"

else"2160p >25fps"

o76gs7q.png

4. You will notice that after entering the rules there will be a warning to the top right of the “profile auto select rules” field. This is because the rules are referencing profiles that do not exist yet.

5. You will now need to create the profiles, in this case 8 of them, and name them all using the same name in the rule. Once you have created all the rules click apply. If everything is entered correctly the warning in the profile group folder should have changed to a green checkmark.

a0Z6Rxq.png

6. You are now free to configure each profile with your desired settings.

7. To see what profile is active bring up the madVR control panel while playing a video. The profile that is currently in use should be in bold.

lCpfm8K.png

***The exact same instructions can be used to setup profiles rules for the "Processing" and Rendering" menus***

Performance Monitoring

Some of the more advanced scaling algorithms and dithering require lots of GPU processing powering to accomplishing the task. That doesn’t mean you need a high end GPU to run madVR as even most iGPU made in the last 5 years can run madVR with basic scaling algorithms. In order to determine what settings your hardware can handle there are a couple of things to consider.

1. The resolution of the source material. The higher the resolution the greater the number of pixels that need to be processed. Going for SD-->1080p is less intensive than going from 720p-->1080p because there are more pixels in the 720p video. Makes sense right.
  2. The framerate of the source material. The greater the framerate the quicker the GPU must process each frame of video in order for it to be presented on time.

If the video frame is not processed quickly enough madVR will drop that frame and move onto the next one. Sometimes a couple frames will be dropped over the course of a movie and this usually occurs when the video is first started or after FF/RWing. This is just the queue filling and is normal. What is not normal is when you have dropped frames during normal playback which results in choppy video or out of sync audio.

To see if your GPU is capable of rendering the video effectively bring up the madVR OSD while playing a video by pressing “Ctrl-J” on your keyboard. You should see something similar to this:

BovvJZx.png

The first thing you want to look at is the “movie frame interval”. This is the amount of time that each frame of the video is shown also meaning that the following frame needs to be ready in this time window. The higher the framerate of the video the lower the “movie frame interval” thus there is less time to process the following frame.

Next you will want to look at the “average and max stats”. This is the time it is currently taking the GPU to render and present the frame to the display. The names are self-explanatory, average being the average times since the start of playback and max being the maximum times in the last 5 seconds.  The sum of the rending plus the presentation time MUST be less than the “movie frame interval time”. In order to have excellent playback with no dropped frames it is recommended to keep the sum or the rendering and present times well below the movie frame interval. I personally like to keep mine under 15ms. 

Finally the “dropped frames”, “delayed frames”, and “presentation glitches” indicate if there have been any frames that were not rendered in time. Like I mentioned above it is common to have a few dropped after starting a video or FF/RWing. If you are experiencing dropped frames or glitches you must use a less intensive scaling algorithm to correct this.

Sample Profiles

The following tables are settings based on display resolution and GPU hardware. These settings are only meant to be used as a starting point and there is no guarantee that they will work on your hardware or that they will provide the best results. Scaling algorithms are subjective, you will need to make your own decision on what looks best to you. I will try to populate these tables and keep them updated. Any suggestions or verified results would be greatly appreciated.

rZ1vr3e.png

zjI7QyP.png

Edited by Jdiesel, 26 January 2016 - 10:21 AM.

• ebr, Abobader, Xzener and 6 others like this

#3 MrWebsmith OFFLINE  

MrWebsmith

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1660 posts
  • Local time: 02:53 PM
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

well done.. thanks for this.. i just saved this out to a pdf for later messing around at home.

#4 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11486 posts
  • Local time: 12:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

This is incredible! Thank you. This will give me all the control I wanted. I'm great with audio, but I'm not familiar with Madvr, so this is perfect.

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131591 posts
  • Local time: 03:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

Well done, although ultimately the goal is to do everything in app so as new settings get added make sure to revise this
  • swhitmore likes this

#6 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11486 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

The problem with doing everything in one place is that you want different settings for listening to music. Right now, I use a different player, because it allows me to output to all channels equally and not processed. I posted a feature request for this.

#7 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

Well done, although ultimately the goal is to do everything in app so as new settings get added make sure to revise this

Definitely, as options are added within ET I will update the guide to reflect those changes. In the meantime this will hopefully help those who want a little more control.

• Doofus likes this

#8 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11486 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

It totally helps me get more control. Thank you, again!

#9 Mayankel OFFLINE  

Mayankel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 09:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Thank You very much for this guide Jdiesel. That's what i was looking for, just one question, i'm getting some Judder effect in live tv bassically with soccer, the other programs looks ok and videos (mkv, avi...) all fine but with sports in live tv i'm getting lot of judder, any help?

Regards :)

#10 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

Thank You very much for this guide Jdiesel. That's what i was looking for, just one question, i'm getting some Judder effect in live tv bassically with soccer, the other programs looks ok and videos (mkv, avi...) all fine but with sports in live tv i'm getting lot of judder, any help?

Regards :)

It could be a few things. First off what are the details of the live video? framerate, interlace or noninterlaced? and what framerate is your display switching to? This info can be found on the MadVR OSD. 

50 and 60 fps 1080i video can be demanding to render. Are you noticing any dropped frames on the OSD?

Also what GPU are you running MadVR on?

#11 Abobader OFFLINE  

Abobader

Super-Tester

• Administrators
  • 14471 posts
  • Local time: 10:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:34 PM

Well done!

#12 puithove OFFLINE  

puithove

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 722 posts
  • Local time: 03:53 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for this - while I'm an experienced Windows admin, I'm newish at HTPC type setups on Windows (always preferred Linux for HTPC).  I've been figuring it out as I'm going along, and there's definitely some stuff here I hadn't gotten to figuring out yet.

#13 Deathsquirrel OFFLINE  

Deathsquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1982 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

Great guide.  I get the LAV audio icon but see nothing if I right click that icon.  Anyone else running into this or have a fix?

#14 Mayankel OFFLINE  

Mayankel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Great guide. I get the LAV audio icon but see nothing if I right click that icon. Anyone else running into this or have a fix?

Me too. Nothing clicking Lav Video nor Lav Audio.

Saludos :)

#15 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Great guide.  I get the LAV audio icon but see nothing if I right click that icon.  Anyone else running into this or have a fix?

It turns out I still had an external copy of LAV installed when I was doing up the guide. There is likely a way to enable the tray icon however it may break future updates which I would not recommend. I will see if there is a clean way of doing it.

In the meantime is there a setting not currently in the directshowplayer.xml that you need? It would be best to edit the directshowplayer.xml for the setting you need until it is added to the ET interface. I will modify the guide until a proper fix is found.

Edited by Jdiesel, 19 January 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#16 Mayankel OFFLINE  

Mayankel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

It could be a few things. First off what are the details of the live video? framerate, interlace or noninterlaced? and what framerate is your display switching to? This info can be found on the MadVR OSD.

50 and 60 fps 1080i video can be demanding to render. Are you noticing any dropped frames on the OSD?

Also what GPU are you running MadVR on?

Here is my OSD:

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453243350.120075.jpg   432.67KB   32 downloads

I'm running a Windows 10 in an htpc with CPU AMD A-6 3650 and Radeon HD 6530D. This is connected via hdmi to my Sony Bravia KDL-55W829B and via Toslink to my Pioneer VSX-324-K-P with the last version of Emby Theatre.

I've done a clean install of Emby, deleting previouslly everything ( codecs, programs...) and now, after this clean install, the judder is substantially reduced but it's still there.

Thanks and best regards. :)

Edited by Mayankel, 19 January 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#17 Xzener OFFLINE  

Xzener

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 3113 posts
  • LocationLemoore, CA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

Brilliant!

#18 Deathsquirrel OFFLINE  

Deathsquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1982 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

It turns out I still had an external copy of LAV installed when I was doing up the guide. There is likely a way to enable the tray icon however it may break future updates which I would not recommend. I will see if there is a clean way of doing it.

In the meantime is there a setting not currently in the directshowplayer.xml that you need? It would be best to edit the directshowplayer.xml for the setting you need until it is added to the ET interface. I will modify the guide until a proper fix is found.

Thanks, I'll look through the xml to see if there is a setting to disable bitstreaming of truehd since my video card won't do that.

#19 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

Here is my OSD:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453243350.120075.jpg

I'm running a Windows 10 in an htpc with CPU AMD A-6 3650 and Radeon HD 6530D. This is connected via hdmi to my Sony Bravia KDL-55W829B and via Toslink to my Pioneer VSX-324-K-P with the last version of Emby Theatre.

I've done a clean install of Emby, deleting previously everything ( codecs, programs...) and now, after this clean install, the judder is substantially reduced but it's still there.

Thanks and best regards. :)

Yep your GPU can't quite handle the scaling algorithm and is dropping frames. I plan complete the guide by adding how to test if a scaling is too intensive, adding profiles based on resolution and framerate, and recommended settings based on hardware.  

In the meantime you can try changing both Chroma and Image Upscaling to Bilinerar, if that works okay you can probably bump both settings up to Bicubic 75 with AR. Also make sure you have Ordered dithering selected under rendering. Ideally your dropped and repeated frames will both be zero.

• AdrianW likes this

#20 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, I'll look through the xml to see if there is a setting to disable bitstreaming of truehd since my video card won't do that.

I added an optional section in the guide to enable the LAV tray icons. I don't recommend it as it will bypass the settings within ET and everything will have to be configured externally through the tray icons. You can revert the changes easily so it would be a good way to test if disabling True-HD bitstreaming fixes your issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: madVR, Emby Theater, ET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users