Unfortunately, Emby has Stopped

crocodillis

crocodillis

Hi I'm running Android 4.4.4 on an Asus TF 101 tablet just did a complete wipe  and installed Fresh  Katkiss Android 4.4.4 Custom rom.

Have been using this for 2 years and emby for android has been rock solid I have never had 1 issue with it.

I'm running Server Version 3.0.7100.0 on a Win7 HTPC

However this time and for the last 5 Emby for android updates since reflashing the Rom  Emby will not even open I get the above Unfortunately, Emby has Stopped message.

I have been an emby supporter since the original Media browser and am a lifetime supporter It works fine on my S4 with the same Rom on it.

I have cleared the cache uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail

Crash reports submitted

any ideas 

Android log.txt

Transcode log.txt

server log.txt

Edited by crocodillis

• 4 weeks later...
TravellingGuy

Sorry for the "me too" post.

Any ideas/updates on this?

I just dusted off my old TF101 to use Emby as well and am suffering the same issue.

I've tried both the KatKiss MM 6.0.1 and KatKiss Lollipop 5.1.1_r24 ROMs and they both fail to load with the same error.

Sorry for the "me too" post.

Any ideas/updates on this?

I just dusted off my old TF101 to use Emby as well and am suffering the same issue.

I've tried both the KatKiss MM 6.0.1 and KatKiss Lollipop 5.1.1_r24 ROMs and they both fail to load with the same error.

Hi, can you provide a log from the app? Instructions are here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15638-how-to-report-an-android-problem/

Thanks !

TravellingGuy

Hi, can you provide a log from the app? Instructions are here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15638-how-to-report-an-android-problem/

Thanks !

I actually discovered the problem. If only I had looked at the logs first. :-)

After installing KatKiss, Android System Webview was not installed by default. I simply had to install it from the Play store, now Emby works.

This was with KatKiss 5.0, I'm assuming it'll run under KatKiss 6.0 as well, once I install Android System Webview.

TravellingGuy

Another update to this, for anyone having troubles, and how to get it working.

I mentioned that I was able to make Emby work on KatKiss Lollipop (5.1.1_r24 #030c) by installing Android System Webview from the play store (and theorized it would work on KatKiss MarshMallow (6.0.1 #029) by installing ASW from the play store as well).

For Lollipop, I soon found out that it only worked at about 75%. After clicking on the More menu, then selecting one of the items in the menu, Emby would hang, and then close (with no errors at all in the log) and go back to the Android home screen. For Marshmallow, installing ASW just didn't work, Emby still wouldn't open at all (no errors).

However, I seem to have found a working combination!

Download the 028 release of KatKiss Marshmallow from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=13980#downloads

(The changelog indicates that he included webview in the ROM in 029 (http://public.timduru.org/Android/KatKiss/6.0/ChangeLog.html), so I figured I'd try 028 and see what happened.)

After installing 028, install Android System Webview from the play store, install Emby and voila! You should have a fully working Emby. I can even access the menu items in the More menu.

At the end of the day, it appears to be related to compatibility issues with Android System Webview that's causing it not to work too well. As an FYI, according to this post (http://forum.xda-developers.com/eee-pad-transformer/development/rom-t3318496/post69145885), he says ASW is not compatible with the TF101, so maybe there are some compatibility things going on.

Thanks for the update. Yea i guess i'm not surprised. the newer webview might be depending on certain features within android, and then reacting in a negative way once it finds out they're not available. When you don't have it installed then the app uses it's own bundled version of chromium.

TravellingGuy

Thanks for the update. Yea i guess i'm not surprised. the newer webview might be depending on certain features within android, and then reacting in a negative way once it finds out they're not available. When you don't have it installed then the app uses it's own bundled version of chromium.

Ahhh, that explains a lot. Chrome browser does not even run on the TF101 (it doesn't even show up search results in the Play store on the TF101). I installed an APK and it just crashes. I noticed on my phone (Nexus 5X), I don't have Android System Webview installed, but Emby still runs, because of the bundled version of Chromium.

Thanks for the input.