Can MB3 use existing xbmc metadata?

trpltongue

sfnetwork

530f5bc77a3d8_Capture.jpg530f5bd6c5876_Capture1.jpg

That is the log of after i erase the backdrop and leave only 9 (2009)-poster.jpg and 9 (2009)-fanart.jpg in the movie folder. It picks up the  9 (2009)-poster.jpg but not 9 (2009)-fanart.jpg (unless i rename it to fanart.jpg before i refresh)

ok, well, officially, the format "(moviefilename)-fanart.jpg" is only for movie files all mixed up in one movie folder, when using dedicated folder for each movie, fanart.jpg, poster.jpg, etc... is the standard to use.

2014-02-27%2010-50-27%20AM.jpg

So based on your structure, it should be like this

2014-02-27%2010-53-06%20AM.jpg

BUT, yes, MB server should also read this format as it is supposed to still be supported under this structure... (I think) @@Luke

Edited by sfnetwork

saitoh183

Ok...but if you do a XBMC export and choose separate folders it will not export as fanart.jpg, it will export as <movie_name>-fanart.jpg and that is the default and no way to change that behavior

Edited by saitoh183

sfnetwork

Ok...but if you do a XBMC export and choose separate folders it will not export as fanart.jpg, it will export as <movie_name>-fanart.jpg and that is the default and no way to change that behavior

Yeah... this is why MBserver should also read this structure (the second standard).

BTW, what's the purpose of exporting from XBMC? Just curious...

saitoh183

Yeah... this is why MBserver should also read this structure (the second standard).

BTW, what's the purpose of exporting from XBMC? Just curious...

I spent many hours customizing my artwork because default scrape didnt always get the artwork i like. Also exporting once a week(nfo and artwork) insures me that if i were to lose my xbmc DB or it gets corrupted or if i migrate and want a fresh install, i can easily scan everything back in via nfo and my artwork and get back everything how i had it...including my watched flags. Now if i move to MB3 i dont mind it scanning the metadata a new (even if it can use my nfo files) but i dont want it to start using new artwork. So i guess my only solutions is to rename all the <movie_name>-fanart.jpg to fanart.jpg.

sfnetwork

I spent many hours customizing my artwork because default scrape didnt always get the artwork i like. Also exporting once a week(nfo and artwork) insures me that if i were to lose my xbmc DB or it gets corrupted or if i migrate and want a fresh install, i can easily scan everything back in via nfo and my artwork and get back everything how i had it...including my watched flags. Now if i move to MB3 i dont mind it scanning the metadata a new (even if it can use my nfo files) but i dont want it to start using new artwork. So i guess my only solutions is to rename all the <movie_name>-fanart.jpg to fanart.jpg.

ok, Well, let me tell you how I handle this (just to give you options  ;) )

I never backup/export/import XBMC database/library

Instead Trakt is my primary tool, it keeps all watched states, etc... so when/if I need to reinstall XBMC from scratch, I start fresh scanning everything (so all artwork, etc.. is in the folders already) then import from Trakt (get all my watched states etc...). Then MBserver also has Trakt to keep everything in sync.

I also never used XBMC to create/manage my metadata/arwork, MBserver or MetaBrowser IMO is much better to manage this.

Because basically, your issue is more because you export from XBMC, so if you would take that out of the equation, no more issue...

So, in my scenario, metadata and artwork are in the folders and watched states are in my Trakt account. never need to backup a database...

***But like I mentioned, MBserver still should also read the second structure. I'll confirm with Luke for that part.

And also: yeah! Saint-Eustache, Qc.; respect!  :D

Edited by sfnetwork

sfnetwork

your lucky because i just put up the final revision of the recent beta, and it includes a fix for this. {moviename}-fanart.

however, it was only tested quickly and we're not doing another revision unless something catastrophic comes up. so if there's an issue it will wait until the next release.

So it should read all those?

• [movie file name]-(poster/banner/fanart).(png/jpg)

Not sure about landscape.jpg since there is no official standard though...

saitoh183

ok, Well, let me tell you how I handle this (just to give you options  ;) )

I never backup/export/import XBMC database/library

Instead Trakt is my primary tool, it keeps all watched states, etc... so when/if I need to reinstall XBMC from scratch, I start fresh scanning everything (so all artwork, etc.. is in the folders already) then import from Trakt (get all my watched states etc...). Then MBserver also has Trakt to keep everything in sync.

I also never used XBMC to create/manage my metadata/arwork, MBserver or MetaBrowser IMO is much better to manage this.

Because basically, your issue is more because you export from XBMC, so if you would take that out of the equation, no more issue...

So, in my scenario, metadata and artwork are in the folders and watched states are in my Trakt account. never need to backup a database...

***But like I mentioned, MBserver still should also read the second structure. I'll confirm with Luke for that part.

And also: yeah! Saint-Eustache, Qc.; respect!  :D

i Also have trakt in place and i even backup my MySQL DB on a frequent basis. But the problem with only have 1 means of getting your stuff back if you lose it , is if they arent available, your screwed(trakt website does go down from time to time or is over run by connections ) and my export also does make me have to rely on have access to the internet.  but the export was only a one time thing from XBMC, i plan to use MBC or MBT(when its more viable) exclusively and only keep XBMC for streaming (tou.tv, illicoweb.tv) addons and Playon (until MB supports Upnp). What i need from MB the most is the profiles ...XBMC profile management is awful...

your lucky because i just put up the final revision of the recent beta, and it includes a fix for this. {moviename}-fanart.

however, it was only tested quickly and we're not doing another revision unless something catastrophic comes up. so if there's an issue it will wait until the next release.

can i update to it right now?

Edited by saitoh183

saitoh183

i only fixed fanart. the others it may or may not already read.

If people do exports of there library like i do, then only <movie_name>-poster.jpg and <movie_name>-fanart.jpg are used in this format the others are normal. and <movie_name>-poster.jpg does work

sfnetwork

i Also have trakt in place and i even backup my MySQL DB on a frequent basis. But the problem with only have 1 means of getting your stuff back if you lose it , is if they arent available, your screwed(trakt website does go down from time to time or is over run by connections ) and my export also does make me have to rely on have access to the internet.  but the export was only a one time thing from XBMC, i plan to use MBC or MBT(when its more viable) exclusively and only keep XBMC for streaming (tou.tv, illicoweb.tv) addons and Playon (until MB supports Upnp). What i need from MB the most is the profiles ...XBMC profile management is awful...

can i update to it right now?

With all my testing, I had to start over often and never was blocked because Trakt was down, but maybe I was lucky...

Anyways, it should be reading your structure now (or later)

***You could try XBMB3C addon for XBMC to use MBserver environment and keep using XBMC and your addons. This would centralize your library more in one place..

BTW, I didn't know you could have tou.tv, illicoweb.tv as addons... thanks for that!

Edited by sfnetwork

saitoh183

If people do exports of there library like i do, then only <movie_name>-poster.jpg and <movie_name>-fanart.jpg are used in this format the others are normal. and <movie_name>-poster.jpg does work

Updated to server Version 3.0.5171.19958 and it works now :) 

Thank you Luke :)

• Like 1

Will this be fixed next release by any chance?

@@sfnetwork can you review this?

First we need to see if there's actually a problem. We a group size test our xbmc support and none of them reported this.

• 5 months later...
saitoh183

our testing efforts led by @@sfnetwork showed that fanart.ext was the most compatible. it's also consistent with metabrowser. if some skin requires something differnet, i suppose configuration is going to be the only way to solve it. but really, what we did is target compatibility for a broad range of skins, you are better off getting a fix from the skin so that you're not locked into what that skin wants.

But the problem is that XBMC default process to export does not do folder/poster.jpg or fanart.jpg...It exports <filename>-poster.jpg and <filename>-fanart.jpg which has nothing to do with skin support. Yes XBMC understands in general other formats but the default is <filename>-poster.jpg and <filename>-fanart.jpg

Ballistic

i only fixed fanart. the others it may or may not already read.

How do we enable the fix?

Mediabrowser does not seem to create <filename>-fanart.jpg for movies in thier own directory.

XBMC with Refocus skin seems to require it.

How do we enable the fix?

Mediabrowser does not seem to create -fanart.jpg for movies in thier own directory.

XBMC with Refocus skin seems to require it.

our testing efforts led by @@sfnetwork showed that fanart.ext was the most compatible. it's also consistent with metabrowser. if some skin requires something differnet, i suppose configuration is going to be the only way to solve it. but really, what we did is target compatibility for a broad range of skins, you are better off getting a fix from the skin so that you're not locked into what that skin wants.