"Resume view" gets easily "polluted"

chjohans

chjohans

The "Resume view" is extremely useful as it obviously let's you watch and continue watching several videos, and easily continue where you left. But I have notice that over time my "continue watching" view gets "polluted" with videos I've already watched.

This migh happen because I watch Emby from several location, and synchronize my "watch status" between the servers by using the Trakt plugin. So videos that I have seen (and that are flagged as "watched") get's stuck in the "Resume view".

Over time this becomes quite chaotic and the "Resume view" loses it's effectiveness. To do "housekeeping" I have to continue watching each of the videos that "pollutes" this view and fast-forward to the end of the video so it will disappear from the "resume view". This is not very effective.

I would like to see the following:

1) A simpler way of deleting videos from the "Resume view", something like the "Watched" button except it should delete the item from the "Resume view"

2)  An option to not show items that are flagged as "watched" in the "Resume view"

Solution 2 would solve my issue completely, but it would probably be a good idea to make this a configurable option in case someone still wants watched items in their "Resume view", some probably have favorite shows/movies that they watch over and over again :)

Solution 1 is useful also in those cases I browse through movies/shows and watch bits of some (maybe just to see what they are), but I don'tr want them to remain in the "Resume vies".

Whoever can do something about this please consider it.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Easiest current solution is use multi-select in web client and select every thing you want to remove and select "Mark as Watched" and refresh the screen.

pir8radio

hold the mouse down on one of the resume videos and check the other ones you want to clear, in the green bar at the top click the three dots and "mark as played"  refresh the homepage they will clear...

chjohans

Thank's for the suggestions, but it really does not help me much. I have 50+ videos, all marked as "watched", but still in the "Resume view". No mouse, using Apple TV and Roku to run Emby clients.

So the way I see it "watched" items still show up in the "Resume view". Take note that these items might or might not have gotten their "watched" status from syncing via the Trakt plugin from another server.

It might be that your solution will work, but it still means that I have to repeat this again and again. And it's just as easy (or troublesome in the case of many videos) to just quickly play and ff to the end to get "resume" status to go away.

So I would still like to see an option where "watched" items (watched before or after "resume" status is set) does not show up in the "Resume view".

pir8radio

ahh ok, we are talking about accessing emby via the web interface from a PC.     you can check all 50 and mark as watched.   If you are getting false "resume" videos you can change the settings in emby so it doesn't mark them as unfinished and put them in the resume section..   I would post your request in the features request section, if none of these suggestions fit what you want.

57ce2c0d6a2b9_Screenshotfrom201609052137

Edited by pir8radio

chjohans

Yes I understood that you were talking about a browser :)

There is nothing wrong with the settings and the "resume" status is not really false, it is just not relevant. Please refer to my first post.

So this is really to those who can do something about the issue that videos with the "watched" flag set still show up in the "resume view", I would like a toggle option (in the server so it goes for all clients) to toggle that on or off.

You say this occurs on the roku. Which library is resume incorrect? Movies, tv, etc...

The roku is filtering on isResumable for the resume toggles for all library types. Watched movies are stripped from this by the server, not the app. If you have watched movies showing something is set wrong in your server config, you have a user setting set incorrectly on the server, or something is marking your movies as partially watched like a plugin/another-app.

What exactly are you asking? The roku app to have a way to mark watched en-masse? The server to do something different?

An item can have both. A played count with a watched indicator, and a resume point shown. The fact it shows watched isnt relevant that much. Marking watched has to be done after the resume point is created to wipe the resume point. So after marking it watched, some "ghost in the machine" is altering the resume point in the item.

Have you tried the emby blue neon night app on your roku?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/

This thread explains the difference and has the roku store link to the app. I am curious, does the resume row show incorrectly in this app too? Notice as well the blue neon app calls it "clear the resume point" when marking a resumable item as played. This will remove the item from resume. This is exactly the same as "mark as watched" would do, it simply marks it watched, but the text lets you know doing so also wipes the resume point. Let me know if this isnt happening...

6b5a94292479a1310f3d8aaf6cadd02e.jpg

Edited by speechles

chjohans

It obviously happebns on all platforms as the "resume view" is shown on all the clients, I assume it's a server feature to keep track of watched state. I said I'm using Roku and Apple TV on the client side. Have not tried the neon blue Roku app as I prefer the "official app", and as I see it this is a server issue not a client issue.

Read my first post for what exactly I'm asking :)

It obviously happebns on all platforms as the "resume view" is shown on all the clients, I assume it's a server feature to keep track of watched state. I said I'm using Roku and Apple TV on the client side. Have not tried the neon blue Roku app as I prefer the "official app", and as I see it this is a server issue not a client issue.

Read my first post for what exactly I'm asking :)

Notice it is only you with the problem, and you brought up irrelevant things in your first post. Try to encourage others to help you, by providing more info. Dont refer back to your original post over and over as this will discourage any others from trying to also post help and get told to do the same. Common courtesy goes a long way.

Answers to your requirements:

1) it does do this

2) if you rewatched a watched show, you must want it in the resume list. It could remove them, but imagine the outcry when it doesnt keep track of a previously watched items present resume point. I expect it can remember if I rewatch where I left off the subsequent times... It cuts both ways, no matter how it is done. An option would be a cool compromise.

I suspect trakt isnt really marking the item as watched, but just increasing the play count artifically. To have it honestly marked as watched it needs a last played, and a play count.

Edited by speechles

Once you mark the show as watched it is removed from the resume section.

I have done this many times for shows or movies that I started watching and have no desire to finish.

chjohans

Speechles: Well common courtesy goes both ways. I don't see how I lack that for referring to my first post where I describe what I experience. You on the other hand come across as both arrogant and rude in your post above. Anyhow let's move on and not make this personal.

In my case the resume view is definitely "polluted" by lots and lots and lots of shows/movies that I've finished watching. It might be that this happens because of my multi server setup, and that I at some point started to watch these movies/shows and then finished them om another Emby server, and then the "watched" flag was set by synching via Trakt. But it's still an issue, at least to me it's an issue.

So I would still like to see an configurable option on the server side to toggle if items with the watched status set shows up in the resume view or not. Or alternatively, any other technical solution to the issue. Manually doing "housekeeping" is possible, but not an preferred option.

So speechles when you in a sarcastic way mention that only I have the problem, and 

I understand what you are asking for and we will take it under advisement with the acknowledgement that your's is a very rare situation.

Also, the option you are asking for is not going to truly correct the issue because the resume points will still be there when you go into the details of any given item.

chjohans

Thanks, yes I understand that this is a rare situation. Even if the resume point is there that could be a "feature", ir means only unwatched items with a resume point set would show up in the "resume view". And watched items with a resume point set would show the resume point if you try to play them. Perfect :)

I guess the ultimate solution would be real-time server to server sync of "everything" (including playstates, resume points, the works), but I thought that was a bit much to ask for...

llygoden

I have had the same issue as @@chjohans and actually only went through yesterday and cleaned up the "Resume View" items.

This was done on an Amzaon Fire TV.

Similar to cj I had to start playing the media then immediately stop playing the media which cleared the resume point and removed the item from my list. A remove from list option for the Amazon Fire/Android TV app would be a useful solution for me, all this would do is clear the resume point without me having to start and stop the media.

Happy2Play

If you want this via a client then you will need to post in that client section of the forum, but server side you can toggle the played status checkmark or "use multi-select in web client and select every thing you want to remove and select "Mark as Watched" and refresh the screen", as already stated.

At least for me multi-select-mark as watched or toggling checkmark removes resume point completely.

As for chjohans issue, yes it a sync issue between two different servers.  It isn't automated by the Server Configuration Backup plugin can transfer that exact information.  backup server a and restore on server b or vice versa.

chjohans

Thanks for the info re server config backup. Interesting, but I can't do real time synch between 3 servers using backup and restore :)

But the devs could automate the process of synching between servers, that would have been a great feature. I do realize tho that most people does not run multiple servers so I guess this is far down on the list, if on the list at all.

But a configurable server side option to chose if watched items with an resume mark is shown in the "resume view" or not should be a relatively small change :)

I have had the same issue as @@chjohans and actually only went through yesterday and cleaned up the "Resume View" items.

This was done on an Amzaon Fire TV.

Similar to cj I had to start playing the media then immediately stop playing the media which cleared the resume point and removed the item from my list. A remove from list option for the Amazon Fire/Android TV app would be a useful solution for me, all this would do is clear the resume point without me having to start and stop the media.

You don't have to play it back.  Simply use the check button on the detail screen to mark watched/unwatched and that will clear the resume point.

• Like 1