[Feature request] Series pooling support

xarath

Angelblue05

In what sense? Emby does the work, not the add-on. Unless you are talking about a specific thing about series pooling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what I mean.  I have the same tv show across multiple hard drives.  When I access emby library with a browser, everything is fine.  However, in kodi, sometimes only the seasons from one of the drives shows up and other times every season show up but with duplicate show names.  I suspect that I will have the same problem with music albums from the same artist on different drives.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Have you tried doing a reset of your Kodi library, since series pooling was implemented server side? Let me know if it has any effect on what you are seeing, thanks.

To do a reset, just launch the emby for kodi add-on > Reset local database > Yes/Yes/No

Edited by Angelblue05

LongMan

I can confirm that only episodes from one location is showing up in Kodi. Previously there were two entries, each showing the entries from a different location. Now there is only one entry showing episodes for a single location. (ie some episodes are missing). The interesting thing is, in the Living Room, it shows episodes from one location and in the basement it shows episodes from the other location. Let me know if you need logs.

Cheers,

LongMan

Edited by LongMan

Angelblue05

Series pooling is not done by the add-on, but by the server. When we query the shows, the series pooling is already in effect and will only return one entry rather than both from the server api.

It is important to note that Kodi does not support multi versions playback. Meaning you can't select which file version to playback... However, it is something we can offer via add-on playback mode.

Unfortunately, logs wouldn't help. If I had to guess, the video tracks represent each duplicate, maybe they are not returned in the same order, hence the discrepancy between your living room/basement?

I'll try to test it on my server. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Angelblue05

LongMan

You are welcome. However, it is I who should be thanking you.

In my case, there is no overlap in episodes. My files are mainly ripped from DVDs so it in seasons in each location. The particular show that I was referring to was Star Trek TNG, Seasons 1& 2 are on one disc, and the other seasons are on another disc. I have noticed the same thing with a couple other shows. Again, very little if any overlap in episodes.

On another note there seems to be a problem with the tagging of the libraries. I thought that I had done something wrong but no number of resets have fixed it. The libraries for tv shows are mixed up in Kodi. I seem to have all the shows but some are in the wrong place. The movies are funky too, it syncs all the movies into one section (omnibus) that is normally empty, (made it on the server but never added any folders) then it syncs each library (Main, Docu and Kids) as expected but that omnibus section take a long time.  Not sure about music videos because I separate those using genres. All the libraries are fine in the browser.

Cheers,

LongMan

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Interesting too. Well, during the initial sync, it takes the library name under which we found it as we are importing the content. But after that, it's pulled via the ancestor server api. Maybe it's acting up again. I will have to check all this.

As far as series pooling, it will be reviewed at a later time when I have a bit more time.

Trello card for tracking:

https://trello.com/c/DcybcHv3/235-review-emby-series-pooling-s-effect-in-kodi

Edited by Angelblue05

Have you tried doing a reset of your Kodi library, since series pooling was implemented server side? Let me know if it has any effect on what you are seeing, thanks.

To do a reset, just launch the emby for kodi add-on > Reset local database > Yes/Yes/No

I have tried reseting Kodi library but it didn't help.  Sometimes, I open kodi and every season of the show will be listed under the duplicates show names.  Other times, I will see the show name only once but some seasons will be missing.

Angelblue05

Ok thanks for reporting. I was told we didn't need to do anything since this happens in the server api, on the other side of the curtain. We will need to review it at some point. I don't use series pooling, but I'll have to test it myself to see how the weird outcome can be resolved. A trello card is already there to keep track of progress.

Angelblue05

I've tested series pooling on my server and I see the issue. I've contacted Luke and a solution for this will be provided. A fix in Emby for Kodi will be worked on, at that time. You can track the progress with the trello card: https://trello.com/c/DcybcHv3/235-review-emby-series-pooling-s-effect-in-kodi

Thanks for your patience

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

+1 for this implementation. It's keeping me to move to emby.

I have the EXACT same problem as original poster.

As you can see here, my problem description for the ones who still don't get it.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39085-multipathing-tv-shows-on-several-hdds/

EDIT:

PS: This situation is also reported on the following threads:

1 (from 2014):

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9273-organizing-libraries-on-different-hard-drives/

2 (October 2015):

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26946-series-on-different-hdds/

3 (April, 2016):

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34258-tv-show-pooling-across-multiple-drive-locations/

4 (from 2014):

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/6172-merge-same-tv-show-spanning-different-folders/

Of course not all are kodi addon related, but the problem is the same. Server side/client side being the game changer, only.

Edited by djhifi

Angelblue05

Alright guys, I've written a bit of code to manually apply series pooling in Kodi. It's not perfect, but it's a starting point. I'm still waiting for Luke to complete the server side modification to allow us to quickly apply series pooling in Kodi as it is reflected in the web client.

One thing I did notice is the server only seems to return one of the duplicate series. So the only way to get the additional series added to your Kodi database is to run a manual sync.

Please test the build by installing from zip in Kodi. You will need to reset your local kodi database, then let your content resync. Then once it's completed, run a manual sync to import the duplicate series. Let me know if you see any quirks in the final result, thanks.

plugin.video.emby-2.2.31~alpha.zip

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Will test ASAP. Reporting soon.

EDIT:

I guess I can safely say: THANKS Angelblue05 !!

So far so good. Nothing worked after the restart of KODI + resync but things got sorted out after the manual sync!! Lets hope it stays like this.

One question subsides, tough, each time I add a new season of a show that already is on another HDD, will I need to make a manual sync?

Edited by djhifi
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

No you don't need to keep doing a manual sync. The server will automatically communicate this info with the addon and it will be added/updated in Kodi. The manual sync is only required that first time, because additional series are not added during the initial sync process due to the server api only returning one of the duplicated series.

I expect once the server modification is in place, the manual sync will not be needed.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

It's how it's supposed to be. Normally, we should not have to do anything to get series pooling working, because the api already has series pooling applied. But since we actually look at ids and parentids, etc, the series pooling is not reflected there, that why we don't have it working in Kodi.

There's apparently a key in the single series returned, that reflects all the seriesIds combined that makes up series pooling, but it's not exposed right now. Once this is exposed, we'll easily be able to apply series pooling using the series Ids.

Luke told me that series pooling is based off the view Id + tvdb Id, so I added those verifications to apply series pooling manually, but it does require extra lookups in the database to backtrack if the series was already created. This slows things down a tiny bit, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

No, it was in PM when I started investigating the issue. Did you have a chance to test the build? Does it work for you? I only have one test series for this... So feedback is always good.

Anyway, I'm about to release a new beta version with this included. Hopefully, this will work out.

Edited by Angelblue05

Hi.  It worked as described.  However, when I close Kodi and reopen, the shows that benefited from pooling are gone.  If I close and reopen again, they reappear with pooling right.  This cycle keeps repeating...

Also, I have a show with seasons in three locations and I could not have every seasons to appear.  Only seasons from two of the locations get pooled.  If I do another manual sync then the show disappear from the list.

Edited by xarath

Angelblue05

Hi.  It worked as described.  However, when I close Kodi and reopen, the shows that benefited from pooling are gone.  If I close and reopen again, they reappear with pooling right.  This cycle keeps repeating...

Thanks for reporting. I'll check this out.

Angelblue05

I can't reproduce this outcome. My supernatural series is still combined after restart. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

@@xarath can you provide your Kodi log after the manual sync, thanks. I can't reproduce this...so hopefully with more info, I can see where things go wrong.

Edited by Angelblue05