Problem streaming Emby Live TV channels on TCL Roku TV

Sam865
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

Don't know the technical details for sure, but I assume that most cable programs are being broadcast in 1080p and the HDHomeRun Prime tuners pass that content to my Emby server. The server then streams the content over my LAN, which is pure gigabit. The internal Roku in the TCL TV receives the stream via WiFi. I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i (or 720p for that matter) just by looking at the picture. I will say that the TCL picture is amazingly crisp and clear, with no pixellation or freezes when using Emby Blue Neon.

• 4 weeks later...
roberto188

I don't really know what was done to fix this problem, but thanks! After the Version 3.0.8100.0 server update, I tried Emby Blue Neon on the built-in Roku on my TCL TV on the off chance that the problem I've been having might have been fixed. Amazingly enough, something made the problem go away. I can now stream every Live HD TV channel that I have tried! The problem appears to be fixed. It would be nice to know the root cause, but in my case I guess ignorance is bliss. Thanks to the Emby team for making this problem go away!

Still doesn't work for me, no matter what setting I chose, direct stream or transcode. No dice. Any thoughts? What Roku TV software version do you have?

The TCL Roku TV software version is 7.2. (Fortunately, my Roku TV sees version 7.2 as the latest available version.) The problem went away for me when I made the changes that speechles suggested back in October, and they also seemed to coincide with the release of Emby server version 3.0.8100 on October 10. I also updated Emby Blue Neon Night at about the same time.

Please note that there is a similar problem currently being discussed on the forum that addresses a total streaming failure for all Live TV channels. This is NOT the same problem that you are experiencing where only part of the live TV channels will stream.

The latter is a  problem that is affecting MANY Roku users and not just TCL TV users. I believe the the problem is related to a problem (bug) in Roku software version 7.5, since people with version 7.2 don't seem to be having the problem. IMO, this is a serious problem because just the act of checking for Roku channel updates can trigger an unwanted "update" of Roku system software.