Local cache of images

MEB

I have my server data spanned with DrivePool and images saved with media. Would be nice to keep a local cache of images on my htpc that is running ET. This would help with not having to spin up all drives when browsing media and speed up browsing. This might be a niche need but maybe others have the same feeling.

• Like 1

anderbytes

I have to comment on this, because recurrently that topic "cache" pops up.

I understand that for devs... copying resources like media images, audio... is considered caching and "problem solved".

Have you ever used an app that can run locally (offline) and only needs Internet to update content?

Good examples: GMail, Chrome, Firefox, WhatsApp...

From my experience in Android app of Emby... what I expected from a real smooth experience is that SOMETHING be usable (screens framework), even if unsynced content is not reachable.

Would people still love WhatsApp if 100% of the time it needed connectivity? Even to see old downloaded messages?

Would you like your browser to be usable ONLY while Internet is Up?

That's what Emby is doing today. When we say "cache" and "local", it doesn't mean only content. But all experience of the software...

That's just my opinion.

• Like 1

I have to comment on this, because recurrently that topic "cache" pops up.

I understand that for devs... copying resources like media images, audio... is considered caching and "problem solved".

Have you ever used an app that can run locally (offline) and only needs Internet to update content?

Good examples: GMail, Chrome, Firefox, WhatsApp...

From my experience in Android app of Emby... what I expected from a real smooth experience is that SOMETHING be usable (screens framework), even if unsynced content is not reachable.

Would people still love WhatsApp if 100% of the time it needed connectivity? Even to see old downloaded messages?

Would you like your browser to be usable ONLY while Internet is Up?

That's what Emby is doing today. When we say "cache" and "local", it doesn't mean only content. But all experience of the software...

That's just my opinion.

That is a completely different issue than what we are talking about here though.  When we say "cache" we are talking about a temporary store of information for fast access that is for performance reasons.

You are talking about offline operation.  Which is something we plan to implement in apps that support syncing.

anderbytes

Yeah... I just saw the topic and found it was pertinent to complement the user demand, with related content

That is a completely different issue than what we are talking about here though.  When we say "cache" we are talking about a temporary store of information for fast access that is for performance reasons.

You are talking about offline operation.  Which is something we plan to implement in apps that support syncing.

Problem is its not caching right, because it doesn't cache the theme videos and sounds so it still hits the server when browsing for something to watch, which in turn spins up drives. Sure I can browse covers but that wont give me synopsis so I can decide if its something to watch.

It does not cache entire media, only image files and sometimes other metadata.

It should cache theme songs and videos optionally though