[idea][plugin] Credit cutter

trusselo

trusselo

It would be nice if there were a plugin, where for each TV show (possibly option for sub-divided by season) you could specify a length of time to start and/or end episodes late/early (and make sure marked watched), effectively removing the "previously on.." and "credits" from the TV show.

For ending credits most shows have the exact same length of credits every episode, or if they do change it changes with a new season. Opening credits is hit and miss, some shows are consistent, others not.

Some shows have really long credits (or the show is really short), and ending / stopping  playback at beginning of end credits does not mark show watched.

It would also be best to not apply opening credit cutting (if enabled) on S01E01 of any show...

This plugin would open doors for themes and other plugins to auto-play the next episode, and keep your kids watching spongebob without any credits playing to loose their attention.

which brings me to my next idea...

A theme for kids, PLAY and STOP only, pick a show, it plays from where you last pressed stop. something a 2 year old could use. Most likely would only be possible with MBTheater.

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 2

trusselo

lol,

yeah but when on a marathon of a show... gets old quick..

with consistent credit times, such as in Dexter, and an auto-next feature, would make a really long movie-like experience. 

trusselo

Wouldn't you need a marker in the video to identify these to begin with?

no. manual input per show/ or season

eg.

plugin configuration > Shows > Dexter > All Seasons> Opening cut : 2:00 (2:00)  Ending Cut: 1:23 (42:15) (start 2 minutes late, end 1 minute 23 seconds early @ 42:15)  perhaps too having a relative/absolute time option

edit nevermind absolute timing would mess up double episodes S02E01-02.  Relative timing only.

Edited by trusselo

If we were to maintain a set of images for each Series as well as the length MBS could scan each episode and find a match.

Eg.

• Opening Cut
    • Screen capture of start of Opening Cut
    • Length of Opening Cut
  • Credits
    • Screen capture of start of Credits
    • Length of Credits

You would probably want to disable skipping the Opening Cut for certain shows like the Simpsons as they different every time and therefore worth watching.

The Theme Videos plugin could show the Opening Cut instead that way if you watch a show you have never seen before at lease you know what the opening cut is.

trusselo

No. No. No. Don't even get me started listing the reasons that would be a horrible idea

- Sent from my Galaxy S IV

MediaBrowser - Take your media to the next level.

XDA developers - Your home for mobile device development.

• Like 1

Haha, fair enough. I have no idea how hard that would be to implement so I'll take your word for it

trusselo

If you want to bankroll the server space to host all of the images for every TV show ever imagined then it might be possible to work with a few bugs every 10 percent of shows (relying on images alone), if using times anyway, just use times.

- Sent from my Galaxy S IV
MediaBrowser - Take your media to the next level.
XDA developers - Your home for mobile device development.

Edited by trusselo

I don't think a plug-in could do this unless it actually modified the video content because playback is not governed by the server.  It is handled by each individual client app.

Also, it is already possible to play episodes one right after the other.  You can play entire folders and most themes (I think) also have "play from here" functionality in a list of episodes.  In MBC anyway.

• 4 months later...
ghostguy

Im currently watching 24 on Netflixs and it does this FLAWLESSLY.   Just as the end credits start, there's a "the next episode is starting in 5....4...3....2...1"   If you don't press stop on the remote the next episode starts, passing by all the "last time on 24"   

Im not sure if Netflix has someone on payroll just sitting and watching and marking each video or not, but I would love this feature myself 

techywarrior

Im currently watching 24 on Netflixs and it does this FLAWLESSLY.   Just as the end credits start, there's a "the next episode is starting in 5....4...3....2...1"   If you don't press stop on the remote the next episode starts, passing by all the "last time on 24"   

Im not sure if Netflix has someone on payroll just sitting and watching and marking each video or not, but I would love this feature myself 

Sometimes the best technology is a guy at a desk... I bet that they have someone mark it. Maybe when they do their encoding.

Maleficarum

I like the netflix/crackle style idea but a manual option would be a killer. I know a lot of the shows I have vary runtime of the actual episode content, maybe only by a minute or so but it happens. I'd have to watch each one and take a note of the timings.

Once we have the ability to manually edit/add chapter points, those could potentially be used for this purpose.

• Like 1