ShieldTV / Audio Losing Sync

Admo16

Exactly what you were doing and what happened. Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem

--- Watching HGTV - when audio switches from DD to Stereo (during some commercials), the audio goes out of sync. This occurs with other channels as well, but easiest for me to recreate the issue with this channel.

Any options you have changed from their default settings

--- Unknown at this time. I made several changes to try to resolve the issue, but no changes seem to work. The option to down mix to stereo seems to prevent it, but I'd prefer not to change the setting whenever I'm watching live tv vs. streaming movies.

The time you sent the log

--- Approximately, 7:20pm CDT

The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

--- AdmoHTPC

Thanks for the help!

Kramerika

I saw your post in my thread and wanted to link back to it because I think my issue is the same.  Did you try not using VLC to stream live TV?  That fixed it for me as it seemed to be an issue with VLC versus the internal player.  I was still able to have DD 5.1 sound and have the video direct play with the internal player.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37704-directi-vs-directv-for-live-tv/

Yup, it's the same/similar issue, but it sounds like you are having better luck with getting around it.

If I watch TV using Direct/V (Direct Streaming / VLC?), this is where I see an issue. If I turn the option off to use VLC, then Direct/I fails and changes to Trans/I. In Trans/I, no issues at all, but I'd rather avoid transcoding as much as possible.

This doesn't happen with all channels -- just channels where audio switches between DD and Stereo.

Unfortunately, this does appear to be a problem with vlc. Hopefully it will get fixed with a future update.

jasonmcroy

Just to add my experience in here, I have seen the same thing on the Shield TV that if I use VLC for Live TV I get that audio sync issue and if I don't use it there are no issues.

I can also fix it by setting downmix to stereo option. My receiver will convert it back to 5.1 for me anyway so even though I can't see the little message saying "Dolby Digital" on the screen of the receiver I am still getting surround sound. In fact, it seems like if I do it that way the voices portion of the TV shows I am watching come through better anyway so I have sort of gotten to the point where I like it better that way.

If I turn off VLC, then playback errors out and switches to transcoding. I'd like to avoid transcoding, if possible, to minimize on wear on my hard drives and avoid booting my family from watching tv if I'm working on the server.

Sort of side topic... If I try to use live tv from same PC as my server, it always seems to transcode. It doesn't matter if I run from theatre, the web client, or the new chrome app - all transcode. If I use the same apps from another PC, it plays direct. Any ideas on this?

Sort of side topic... If I try to use live tv from same PC as my server, it always seems to transcode. It doesn't matter if I run from theatre, the web client, or the new chrome app - all transcode. If I use the same apps from another PC, it plays direct. Any ideas on this?

Nevermind this... I set the video hardware acceleration mode to DXVA2CopyBack and it stopped transcoding. I'm still a bit ignorant when it comes to all this, so I'm really not sure why this is needed. I did run some live tv for about an hour and the audio did not go out of sync. I DID have a small issue where everything was very stuttery when I first starting playing live tv, but a simple minimize/maximize fixed that.

Nonetheless, I think this is a workable solution for me until the VLC player gets fixed. My shield tv and my server are sitting right next to each other, so all is good for now.

I will continue testing with live tv in this configuration and will report back if I find any other issues.

Thanks again for your help.