Select quality - no change in A/V quality and A/V is out of sync

jeffshead

jeffshead

When using the Android app and streaming over the mobile LTE network, the video sometimes starts and stops while buffering. I know this is normal when the connection is not fast enough to handle the stream. The issue I am reporting is that changing the quality of the stream doesn't actually work. No matter what I change the setting to (in the Android app), I still get the same high quality. You should be able to select a lower quality setting to avoid buffering at the expense of losing quality. This is not working in the app. 144p (or any other quality setting) looks and buffers the same as the max quality that was automatically set by the app. It does not matter if I change from Auto to a lower bitrate in the app's main settings or if I the lower the bitrate in the per movie, quality settings.

The A/V is also out of sync, more often than not, when transcoding.

Below is what I typically see in the Dashboard when I stream over the mobile network:

bTJqjQY.png01SjgHt.png

I don't understand the second image above. I see that even though I'm still streaming.

Occasionally, more info is displayed as depicted in the image below:

dsFsaP4.png

Notice it says Direct Playing in the image above. I actually have the quality set to 144p in the Android app.

I currently have only port 8920 open and forwarded in my gateway device in order to access the server via HTTPS from the Internet. Do I need to open any other ports?

Trying to stream via web browser, over the Internet, on the same mobile device does not work. I can access the server and login just fine but nothing plays. The video controls do appear but after a while, I'm brought back to the movie info page. I've tried Chrome, Dolphin browser and Firefox. 

I also want to mention that I have been using Serviio Pro for years and do not experience any of theses issues. I'm not plugging, just mentioning that so you know the issue is not a matter of hardware or lack of resources. For testing purposes, I started with two identical Windows 2012 VM's. I installed Emby Server on one and Serviio on the other. I am running only one VM, at a time.

Edited by jeffshead

I tested mobile browser playback, no problem found. Thanks, I will test the in-app quality change for android.

jeffshead

I tested mobile browser playback, no problem found. Thanks, I will test the in-app quality change for android.

I tried three different Android phones and five different mobile browsers. I cannot play movies on any of those phones. I tried on the LAN and over the Internet. I can play movies on any PC, with any browser, locally or remotely.

Did you use an Android phone in your test?

UPDATE: It just dawned on me that I neglected to try the HTTP port. I can play movies on the Android phones if I use http://myserver:8096. However, using https://myserver:8920 does not work on my Androids, locally or remotely, but HTTPS does work just fine on any PC, locally or remotely.

Edited by jeffshead

jeffshead

Thanks, Luke. Switching from self-signed to commercial cert did solve the issue of not being able to play movies in a browser on a remote mobile device.

Now that I'm able to test playing movies in mobile browsers, I will test for A/V sync issues and compare overall performance with the Android app and report my findings.