DEACTIVATE SERIES POOLING

tatumana

Vidman

Except the developers didn't do it because they felt it was better, they responded to the requests of alot of users that wanted it to be that way

Edited by Vidman

tatumana

Except the developers didn't do it because they felt it was better, they responded to the requests of alot of users that wanted it to be that way

You say (and others peoples) A lot of users but How many ?

What category of users ? Alpha Users ? Premiere Users ? Casual Users ?

Where is the survey ?

Edited by tatumana

bfir3

Users complained pretty regularly about having to have every episode of a TV show on the same drive, in the same folder structure.  The old answer of 'manage this outside Emby' wasn't popular.  I din't have an issue with it but plenty did.

That doesn't explain why it would be problematic to let the users who do not wish to use this new feature retain their old ways of library management.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Here are two topics just in Feature Requests but I know there are a dozen more spread throughout the forum.  But yes this feature should be configurable do to issues like this.  Or it forces the user to change a established media structure to accommodate Embys changes.

• Like 2

dcook

Just because some users request something does not mean its a good idea, or that it should be implemented into EMBY.

I am sure if you were to survey all users of EMBY that it would be a small percent who want pooling, that vast majority have no need for it.

Perhaps going forward all feature requests should be voted on and only if a majority of EMBY users votes yes then that feature is added?

But again, the easiest solution for ALL THESE UN-WANTED FEATURES is to make them configurable, you don't even need to have it in the Dashboard, just have a .ini or .xml file that we can edit: Series_Pooling="No" for example

Edited by dcook
  • Like 2

Deathsquirrel

That doesn't explain why it would be problematic to let the users who do not wish to use this new feature retain their old ways of library management.

Right, the posts above it DO however.  It sounds like this could become a configurable option.  Fine by me, but I do understand the desire to make user-selected options the method of last resort.  If Emby worked like Kodi lots of their users would move on.  Easy to use is clearly a primary goal for the team.

arrbee99

Well, and not just to annoy people, I think we should go back to series pooling like it was before "Limit series pooling to same library" was introduced.

I have the different parts of the same series in different Windows folders and in different types of Emby libraries and it would be nice if it could all be pooled together. For instance Homeland series 1 and 2 on bluray in the Windows bluray folder (Emby library type TV) and series 3 and 4 recorded in the Windows PlayOn folder (Emby library type Mixed as there are films in there as well).

Or how about a three way option ?

tatumana

ARRBEE99, it's a post to have the possibility to deactivate series pooling. Please Open another post for your problem.

arrbee99

Yes it is. I support your idea of an option. I am also suggesting making it a 3-way option.

• Like 2

tatumana

It's going to be reviewed for an upcoming release. Thank you for your patience.

Almost a month has passed and still no news. Are you really working on solving this problem ???

bfir3

Almost a month has passed and still no news. Are you really working on solving this problem ???

Considering there's posts like that from years ago on multiple different requests, I would say features and revisions just take a really long while to be implemented, so hang tight.

• Like 1

tatumana

Considering there's posts like that from years ago on multiple different requests, I would say features and revisions just take a really long while to be implemented, so hang tight.

The most disturbing is the rapidity to force the series pooling feature and the slowness to make a function to deactivate it.

Edited by tatumana

Deathsquirrel

The most disturbing is the rapidity to force the series pooling feature and the slowness to make a function to deactivate it.

It went though the normal full beta cycle I'm sure.  I only update my server with release updates normally and they don't exactly happen all the time.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Something we all should remember is that a lot of developers don't have public forums that allow user input. I think it's great that these guys do that.

Vidman

For those that were waiting for series pooling the introduction of the feature was not rapid.... Some things take time Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

Fratopolis

And I'll say it again, this feature must be an option!

Did he really say that!! 

Buddy first I really do hope you are a subscription member because if not I'd even write you off. Second take it easy you and everyone else, if the devs say it will cause others issues then it will cause others issues. I do not see how you can fight them on something most of you know nothing about; although if you did know for a fact then you must be a pretty dang good programmer in which go program your own EMBY like application and prove it. 

Hopefully someone will agree with me on this. Or am I wrong and everyone's gonna take the "I'm the smartest person alive so it's my way or the highway" mentality. God I hope not. If so trust me the devs wont be walking down that long highway. You will.

Edited by Fratopolis

tatumana

Did he really say that!! 

Buddy first I really do hope you are a subscription member because if not I'd even write you off. Second take it easy you and everyone else, if the devs say it will cause others issues then it will cause others issues. I do not see how you can fight them on something most of you know nothing about; although if you did know for a fact then you must be a pretty dang good programmer in which go program your own EMBY like application and prove it. 

Hopefully someone will agree with me on this. Or am I wrong and everyone's gonna take the "I'm the smartest person alive so it's my way or the highway" mentality. God I hope not. If so trust me the devs wont be walking down that long highway. You will.

Thank you buddy for your interest.

Firstly, I'm a lifetime subcriber because I want to support the developers. And I still pay again if necessary.

Secondly, I invite you to read the entire posts from the beginning to better understand what we are talking.

You are not wrong. You just do not understand.

Fratopolis

Something we all should remember is that a lot of developers don't have public forums that allow user input. I think it's great that these guys do that.

Well said. Glad I can quote you on these forums. But I am not sure I read the entire thread from beginning to end since I am only quoting you from page 2 of this very long 3 page thread. I am obviously being sarcastic here.

Thank you buddy for your interest.

Firstly, I'm a lifetime subcriber because I want to support the developers. And I still pay again if necessary.

Secondly, I invite you to read the entire posts from the beginning to better understand what we are talking.

You are not wrong. You just do not understand.

Just because I quoted you from the first page of posts what gives you the idea I didn't read it all. Enlighten me please?

Wait wait let me guess:

Multiple show version/languages under one series folder

You want them to show separately not all together

You do not want to make libraries for each version/language separately because your scripts are so complicated

It used to be the way you wanted before the update

Now it is not after the update

Your scripts will break if you change how they work

One could assume you could write a more complex script to solve your issue much faster than them writing actual code to solve for the few out there that do what you are trying to do.

Sorry I had to make an edit. Or you might post since I had a spelling error I may not know what I am speaking of.

Edited by Fratopolis

tatumana

Well said. Glad I can quote you on these forums. But I am not sure I read the entire thread from beginning to end since I am only quoting you from page 2 of this very long 3 page thread. I am obviously being sarcastic here.

Just because I quoted you from the first page of posts what gives you the idea I didn't read it all. Enlighten me please?

Wait wait let me guess:

Multiple show version/languages under one series folder

You want them to show separately not all together

You do not want to make libraries for each version/language separately because your scripts are so complicated

It used to be the way you wanted before the update

Now it is not after the update

Your scripts will break if you change how they work

One could assume you could write a more complex script to solve your issue much fast than them writing actual code to solve for the few out there that do what you are trying to do.

You did not understand. We simply want an option to disable the series pooling feature. That's it.

Fratopolis

No, that actually creates a different (and much bigger) problem for a lot of other people.

This may end up being something we create an explicit option for but we always have to weigh the value of every option against its cost (which is complexity for the user overall). So options are only created when they are extremely high-value for a majority of users.

Maybe I explained my thoughts wrong. He is saying here it would too difficult to do without affecting the masses. EMBY in my mind is meant as an easy solution. creating too many options that are not clear to your everyday user will cause problems for your everyday user. In effect causing problems for the devs trying to help.

I do see what you are saying but if i ever want my mom to use this, which she does desperatly, i want it to be easy. Emby is for the "many idiots" that want easy not the few that can understand the confusion of ex. pooling within a single libray verses not or just create separate libraries. LOL for this I called my mom who has been in the management of mine and she said and I quote "What the hell is that? Do I need it" In turn to hard to implement without the majority going bonkers.

But on a side note in everyone defense whos for this option and other advanced options. Maybe have an extra section called advance users with a terms popup that says don't know what your doing dont touch this lol

But from the devs point of view from what im gathering they are thinking and I could be wrong unless they comment is it is another thing to support that not many will use. When something is implemented it doesnt mean it will always work. Every release they have to check "well ok we made a change here so does this feature still work, well crap no it doesn't so why does this other feature now not work." from what i also gather is they are not a huge company with unlimited man power. Man im rambling.

Fratopolis

Take it easy, guys. We're all brothers under the Emby flag :)

EMBY has a flag? Where have I been and how do I buy one? I would so buy an Emby is better than Plex shirt. So long as it was cleverly worded. I am not a word smith by any means.

Wait I got it. On the front it would say "Emby eats Plex for breakfast" and on the back it would say "So long as Silicon dust was standing behing him" Hopefully others get it or my mind just gets it cause i thought of it in which case damnit :(

Edited by Fratopolis

tatumana

Maybe I explained my thoughts wrong. He is saying here it would too difficult to do without affecting the masses. EMBY in my mind is meant as an easy solution. creating too many options that are not clear to your everyday user will cause problems for your everyday user. In effect causing problems for the devs trying to help.

I do see what you are saying but if i ever want my mom to use this, which she does desperatly, i want it to be easy. Emby is for the "many idiots" that want easy not the few that can understand the confusion of ex. pooling within a single libray verses not or just create separate libraries. LOL for this I called my mom who has been in the management of mine and she said and I quote "What the hell is that? Do I need it" In turn to hard to implement without the majority going bonkers.

But on a side note in everyone defense whos for this option and other advanced options. Maybe have an extra section called advance users with a terms popup that says don't know what your doing dont touch this lol

But from the devs point of view from what im gathering they are thinking and I could be wrong unless they comment is it is another thing to support that not many will use. When something is implemented it doesnt mean it will always work. Every release they have to check "well ok we made a change here so does this feature still work, well crap no it doesn't so why does this other feature now not work." from what i also gather is they are not a huge company with unlimited man power. Man im rambling.

I agree with you that Emby is, as you say, for "many idiot" but only for the Emby's client apps side. It's plug and play. I'm login, it's working.  ;) My mom love Emby for that. But don't ask her to manage the server.

Emby Server is "user friendly" but you must have some basic network knowledges and more. Manage server, database, plugins, movies, shows, live tv, transcoding... it's not for 'many idiots" but for advanced user.  :ph34r: 

I don't ask to rebuild Emby entirely, I'm asking a simple option to deactivate series pooling and continue to manage my server.