DEACTIVATE SERIES POOLING

tatumana

tatumana

What would we have to do to allow your mom to manage the server?

She is just not interested by the management side. All that she want, it's that working. She is a pure End-User. Backstages are for me.  ;)

Fratopolis

What would we have to do to allow your mom to manage the server?

For my mom not much. This coming from her who can do your average users computer tasks.

I ran her through it and asked her to explain it to me before I even thought of letting her have this. I told her I'd let her set it up if she wants it and ill watch. Thought it would be funny to watch. Not so much.

Mind you she is 65 and uses media center only cause I set it up. We went through EMBY months ago originally when I told her that Media center is going away

-She understood the settings page.

-Devices she didnt until she connected her phone at the end of the whole process and saw "oh i get it whatever connects" paraphrased here obviously I cannot remember verbatim

-Local users were easy for her and once she fiiiiinaly clicked learn about emby connect link she set up her own account to connect to me so she could watch all our old home movies I have.

-Emby Premiere tab was a given for her.

-Took her a bit with library as I sat and just watched her select folders with no idea what to do. Here maybe add an option to go directly to the user profile as well as the drive letters. She finally got it because she has seen C:\ drive on her laptop. Typically maybe not an issue for everyone as I have 6 drives to choose from where most will have 1 which would be your avg user.

-Metadata she read and understood. "Download all images in advance" confused her for a second until she actually read what is does. I remember her saying how would it know what pictures and videos I am going to add tomorrow today. bahahahaha she realized once she thought about it.

-Subtitle she just skipped over cause she said she didn't care

-The playback page was a confusing so she skipped that. And to be honest she didn't really need to configure anything there.

-Sync she left alone

-Only other thing she clicked on was live tv. She has a HDTC-US I gave her but she got stuck at tv guide. Maybe offer to be a third party seller for schedules direct for premiere users to buy guide data right from there. just a thought.

-She left most extras and expert alone. LOL she said well im not an expert so i am not gonna even try.

Told her to download the app on her phone and boom she connected to our test server. So I said once I get you a decent Desktop you can set it up. 

So right now not completely idiot proof. Like me I entered the beta program and completely forgot I did. Luke you know what I am talking about with the other thread. (Show closing as soon as I clicked play duhh)

But the average masses that would even think about this type of thing really would not need much help in our generation and before our gen. A lot are decently savvy enough.  Maybe I'll do another trial and see how it goes with someone in their 40's instead haha. 65 was pushing it with my mom.

Kind of typed this fast as I rushing so I can head out. If you need me to explain anything better LMK.

tatumana

This thread has now lost its way. Let's be sensible, guys

This is because of Luke. He's talking about Moms.  :lol:

tatumana

But to return to our subject, please Luke can you tell us your decision about this feature ?

moviefan

It would be just nice to know that Emby has stopped changing the system in ways which materially alter it for hardcore Emby users.

They've already mostly destroyed collections which used the prior (manual) system, now it seems they are destroying the separate series aspect with manual folders.

Plex sucks.  I don't want to use it.

Are there any options out there which support manually configured collections (according to the rules of the software at the time) and won't keep catering to the masses (to support features which very few care about) which won't donate them any money anyway?

Frustrating...

Edited by moviefan
  • Like 3

Deathsquirrel

They've already mostly destroyed collections which used the prior (manual) system, now it seems they are destroying the separate series aspect with manual folders.

I used to use manual collections and thought the new system was a step back.  I think I was wrong.  The new collection system is vastly easier to manage and more flexible.

Ditto series pooling.  To date I've had to move series around my drives when I couldn't get all the season's to fit in the same folder structure.  I didn't see a problem with it but let's be serious, that was wasted time.  Series pooling is better.  They may need to provide an option to disable it or a server function to leave it enabled buy support some of the use cases in this thread, but this is a step forward for ease of use and ease of management.

moviefan

The new collection system is vastly easier to manage and more flexible.

I strongly dispute this statement.  It may be more flexible for YOUR given use case.  But for the subscribers of this program who have, for years, amassed hundreds of collections, both standard and custom, and spent the time keeping them meticulously organized, the new system is just a way to force them to spend hours upon hours of time getting their system to look the same as it always did.

In addition to this, people who create fanart for the system, e.g. @@Nick's MCE, and make the artwork for collections possible, can't use this system.

Lastly, the portability of this system is essentially destroyed.  If you move the files the collections are pointing to, you have to redo ALL of them, since the xml files now contain pointers instead of just being where they should be.  Everything else within Emby is designed to keep the data within the folders where the video files reside so this doesn't happen.  Except collections, for some odd reason.

So no, I do not agree that is either easier to manage nor more flexible.  It is more rigid, less resilient to system crashes, and significantly less portable between systems.

Edited by moviefan
  • Like 2

Deathsquirrel

I strongly dispute this statement.  It may be more flexible for YOUR given use case.  But for the subscribers of this program who have, for years, amassed hundreds of collections, both standard and custom, and spent the time keeping them meticulously organized, the new system is just a way to force them to spend hours upon hours of time getting their system to look the same as it always did.

In addition to this, people who create fanart for the system, e.g. @@Nick's MCE, and make the artwork for collections possible, can't use this system.

Lastly, the portability of this system is essentially destroyed.  If you move the files the collections are pointing to, you have to redo ALL of them, since the xml files now contain pointers instead of just being where they should be.  Everything else within Emby is designed to keep the data within the folders where the video files reside so this doesn't happen.  Except collections, for some odd reason.

So no, I do not agree that is either easier to manage nor more flexible.  It is more rigid, less resilient to system crashes, and significantly less portable between systems.

To each their own.  I'm exactly the person you describe.  I reluctantly switched and am far better off now than I was then.  Setting up and maintaining collections takes me almost no effort now.  It used to consume enough of my time that I felt invested in it and wasn't happy at all to switch methods.

My continual suggestion to Emby users on these forums is to look at the direction of the project and make feature requests that work with those goals to meet their needs.  Collections managed in the file system simply isn't the way they want to do things.  Where the new method can't accomplish something the old could you can log feature requests and bugs until you can replicate the old results in the new systems.  Ditto for series pooling.  It's simplifying something in a way lots of users have requested.  Where the design is causing problems there is clearly more work to do for the dev team, but the core idea of the feature almost certainly isn't going anywhere.  I look for ways to improve it rather than continue doing things the old way and fighting change.

• Like 1

dcook

I agree, these system changes are not wanted nor needed.  And if Luke insists on making such changes they should be optional.

It would be just nice to know that Emby has stopped changing the system in ways which materially alter it for hardcore Emby users.

Plex sucks.  I don't want to use it.

Are there any options out there which support manually configured collections (according to the rules of the software at the time) and won't keep catering to the masses (to support features which very few care about) which won't donate them any money anyway?

Frustrating...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
tatumana

New Per-Library Settings

The list of available options are:

Realtime monitor

Display of photos in home video libraries

Detecting archives

Look for more settings to become configurable per-library in future Emby Server releases.

There is maybe a good news from the 3.0.6400 update ! I really hope that an option will appear in the next release to deactivate series pooling. :rolleyes:

Edited by tatumana

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
PurposelyCryptic

Update 3.0.7200.0 and still not able to deactivate series pooling. Any news ?

Not trying to be a pain to you devs (I love you guys, really!), but I have to reiterate this request for an update, as the automatic series pooling implementation has seriously affected Emby's basic day-to-day usability for me.

This may seem like a trivial, nit-picky issue to some people, but for those of us negatively affected by it, it's a serious problem. In my situation, where I have a mid-large library of anime (1.8k series), and often archive multiple versions of series based on source, subtitle quality, etc., it has not only made it mostly impossible to distinguish which is which (since they now all share one meta-data entry, with one title and description), but has also made simply browsing though a series an exercise in ridiculousness, as to get from episode 1 to 2 I have to browse past every alternate version of episode 1 first (again, with no way of telling them apart).

It is particularly problematic since (and please correct me if I'm wrong in this) the issue doesn't seem to lie with how Emby collects meta-data, but how it interprets it, so even using an alternate meta-data provider would lead to the same result as long as the tvdb id matches (and going back to MCM or metabrowser, if they still exist, would likely drive me nuts, anyhow). 

Any news at all would be welcome - if it's been implemented in the dev branch, awesome, I'll switch to that immediately, but even being told that it's a low-to-zero priority that won't be addressed for months, if then, would be helpful, albeit sad; I'd have to figure out how to best go about downgrading Emby to before the change, and finding compatible versions of all the plugins, but at least I'd know to do that.

Thanks in advance for any info!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
tatumana

2 month and 15 days later.... and nothing. 3.0.8100 ?? Nothing!

Frankly, I'm fed up to talk in space, to give my money for that, to stay courteous with disrespectful devs.

So I have a simple question : WILL YOU FIX THAT OR NOT ? It's a simple question. A baby level question.

YES or NO, it's simple, nothing fancy, just an answer with three or two letters.

And if YES, I would like to know WHEN. And keep for you your magical sentence "It's going to be reviewed for an upcoming release. Thank you for your patience."

So ?

Edited by tatumana
  • Like 1

In your example, in post #1, have you configured the metadata language for each series? Or rather, each series that differs from your default metadata language?

PurposelyCryptic

2 month and 15 days later.... and nothing. 3.0.8100 ?? Nothing!

Frankly, I'm fed up to talk in space, to give my money for that, to stay courteous with disrespectful devs.

So I have a simple question : WILL YOU FIX THAT OR NOT ? It's a simple question. A baby level question.

YES or NO, it's simple, nothing fancy, just an answer with three or two letters.

And if YES, I would like to know WHEN. And keep for you your magical sentence "It's going to be reviewed for an upcoming release. Thank you for your patience."

So ?

I'd try posting in the feature request thread HERE as well, my post there was responded to fairly quickly by ebr and Angelblue05 - not the response I was hoping for (namely, "Yes, of course, we realize now that non-optional pooling was a terrible mistake and has caused naught but suffering for so many, but we've seen the error of our ways and are releasing an update making it optional tomorrow! And to help make it up to you, here's a sandwich! Also, this wheel-barrow full of gold!"), but it made the impression that they understood that it was a major problem for some of us. Also, different devs/mods/admins read different threads/sub-forums, likely due to a lack of omniscience, so it can only help spread awareness.

In your example, in post #1, have you configured the metadata language for each series? Or rather, each series that differs from your default metadata language?

I really, really hate being that guy that just bitches and moans right when someone is actually trying to help, especially when that someone is working as hard as you are (going by the multiple-times-a-day beta updates authored in your name alone, I'm surprised you have time to even eat), but I think you're looking at this issue in the wrong way:

Trying to see if there's a technical work-around that might help one person in their very specific scenario avoid one way in which this feature can cause problems, is likely only going to drive the already rabid crowd affected by this even more rabid. They (We) have waited for months for something that seems like it would be a simple fix, so completely avoiding that issue is like oil to the fire. I emphasize "seems like", since I'm guessing if it was as simple as adding a toggle or even a quick-and-dirty plug-in, you'd probably have done so already. So the feature is likely more deeply embedded, and there is no easy way of turning it off. If that is the case, please just tell us.

I'm pretty sure 90% of the reason tatumana is so upset is that getting any kind of straight answer is like pulling teeth from an angry tiger; even knowing what the basic situation regarding this issue is would go a long way towards cooling everyone down. I've personally had to manually reorganize all my hard drives so that ~60% (several thousand series folders) are no longer in my Emby libraries, so knowing whether I can ever move them back is a big deal.

So again, any update would seriously be appreciated. And sorry for the whining. I do appreciate your work, and I'm still grateful for your efforts earlier this year in keeping the Anime plug-in working a while longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
tatumana

FOR ALL USERS WHO WANTS AN OPTION TO DEACTIVATE SERIES POOLING go here and click "LIKE THIS" button's first message to support this request. Thank you everybody  :)