Server - support for read-only media

anderbytes
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

anderbytes

Devs, is it possible to make Emby support folders where it doesn't have write access?

As of today... My emby's got VERY slow (probably exploding with errors inside logs) when I tried that.

I needed it once and I can point some utilities for it:

1. Beta/Dev Emby test installations pointing to official libraries without risks of breaking or updating anything done in stable

2. Reading of folders that are ultra-critic aren't worth the risk of tampering with metadata or images generation/download (ex: family, personal...)

3. Creation of immutable libraries where metadata, pics and subtitles will never be updated, guaranteed by filesystem

#1 reason above was what I needed for.

Edited by anderbytes

anderbytes

It's already supported.

My Emby's got very slow when it saw read-only folders.... any explanation possible?

Will be paying more attention to logs when doing this.

Tnx

Happy2Play

Obviously you have to turn off all the feature that want to write/get metadata and images or just ignore the errors because it can't.

anderbytes

Obviously you have to turn off all the feature that want to write/get metadata and images or just ignore the errors because it can't.

But if Emby may be slow because of that... probably he's trying to write stuff and retrying... retrying...

What I'm suggesting/asking is: Does Emby verify permissions and skip the writing operations? Because if not... it doesn't support read-only folders correctly :mellow:

No, we do what you tell us to do. If you enable something, then that's what we try to do.

anderbytes

No, we do what you tell us to do. If you enable something, then that's what we try to do.

Okay... I can see that exception scenario won't be implemented.

Tnx