mp4 h.264 transcoding issue

d3lta

jamesplay
Just a little modification for users that want to watch mkv files on chrome without needing to transcode.

Transcoding is still obviously required if the mkv file is not h264 or unsupported audio track.

No idea if I'm implementing this wrong or not, but my media files seem to be streaming fine now.

Open mediaplayer.js and add ctrl + f for "return $.browser.chrome" and make the if statement modification.

if (extension == 'm4v' || extension == 'mkv') {

return $.browser.chrome;

}

Unrelated - is there any way to modify a specific users preferred bitrate? Tried looking at the database structure but couldn't find anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not to bump an old thread, but I have been noticing that the web client still transcodes everything while the android/windows apps will stream copy based on the settings I've selected. I primarily am using the Chrome browser. Can someone just confirm that this is the case in general still with the web client or is there something I'm doing wrong or a setting I'd need to alter?

Is this still applicable? I was looking at this file and it seemed like it was already set to the above code except I still am getting transcoding.

jamesplay

It's been implemented on mediabrowser's latest stable. If you check your browser console (ctrl+shift+J) it will tell you why it's transcoding. In the following case below, my audio format isn't aac. It could also be transcoding based on your max bitrate settings.

XoKjhiU.png

Thank you. So at least for a test movie or two it is also because of the audio not being aac. However I thought then it should be transcoding the audio and not the video as well? This is what the android apps seems to do. 

jamesplay

Because I didn't know where the user prefs were located, I took some conditions out of the canPlayVideoDirect function.

Seeing as I'm streaming all my content on a local network, even with a lot of users, it hasn't affected anyone's video playback yet as far as I know.

You can also just change the return value on the getBitrateSetting function to return something like 35000000, 35Mb/s.

4KBJMdr.png

This is all located in the mediaplayer.js file in %APPDATA%\MediaBrowser-Server\System\dashboard-ui\scripts

Edited by jamesplay