Returned from Vacation Tuesday - Still can't get anything to play

Groty
Go to solution Solved by Groty,

Kodi on a FireTV

Emby Server running on OpenMediaVault

I return from vacation, go to play a show as normal and Emby hangs.  I find there's an Emby Update and I install it.  Somehow DirectPlay was removed from the Emby Plugin settings, i'm guessing it updated and wiped things out.

Every time I restart Kodi, Emby does a COMPLETE MANUAL SYNC which takes over an hour!

I play any video, it runs for 10 seconds, then freezes and crashes. Yes, the IP addresses for Direct Path are mapped properly.. 

3 days of fumbling with this and I'm frustrated as all hell.  No issues when I left 3 weeks ago.  I come back to this crap.

I just went to pull the Emby log at it was at 1.5MB and climbing, I'm guessing because it won't stop MANUAL SYNC'ing over and over and over again.

Anyone have any ideas here?  I'd remove Emby and re-install, but I have yet to figure out how to completely wipe the Kodi plugins for it and start fresh.

Edited by Groty

Sorry you are experiencing issues. Nothing has really changed in the add-on, 99% bug fixes. Can you post your Kodi and we can hopefully get to the bottom of this? Thanks

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/

Here's the Emby log - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33502348/server-63604137604.txt

And the Kodi log - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33502348/kodi.log

Edited by Groty

Angelblue05

@@Groty

I've looked over your Kodi log - Something is definitely up. It's as if the emby database was wiped clean. Currently, when it tries to do a manual sync, it's in fact doing a full sync because none of the content references exists. To fix this, do a reset and resync your library to Kodi. I'm pretty sure it will resolved all your issues (including playback, since yo uwere trying to play content while technically a full sync was running).

To reset the emby add-on, launch Emby for Kodi (kodi settings > add-ons > enabled add-ons > video add-ons) > reset local database. Kodi will shut down. Once you restart, the content sync should start. Let it finish. Then you should be good to go. Let me know!

Edited by Angelblue05

@@Groty

I've looked over your Kodi log - Something is definitely up. It's as if the emby database was wiped clean. Currently, when it tries to do a manual sync, it's in fact doing a full sync because none of the content references exists. To fix this, do a reset and resync your library to Kodi. I'm pretty sure it will resolved all your issues (including playback, since yo uwere trying to play content while technically a full sync was running).

To reset the emby add-on, launch Emby for Kodi (kodi settings > add-ons > enabled add-ons > video add-ons) > reset local database. Kodi will shut down. Once you restart, the content sync should start. Let it finish. Then you should be good to go. Let me know!

Thanks, kicked that off at 2:30 this afternoon.  Figured it wouldn't hurt anything.  So 4 hours in now, hopefully it finishes soon, it's up to music now.

Didn't work.  It failed to perform the local database reset.  Because.... it couldn't reset the database while it was scanning it.  There's absolutely no way to stop it from scanning, it just does it auto and locks the db up.  It crashed at 2:30 today, I thought I'd beat it, but it just hung again, I restarted the FireTV and the db hadn't been cleared. 

I changed the IP, pointed it to a bad IP in the config.  Just told it to perform local database reset again. Seems like it cleared it.  Going to shutdown and go back in.

Angelblue05

Indeed, thanks for the feedback. We are working on improving this situation in beta at this time.

What you can do is build the database in Kodi on a faster device/computer, then copy the userdata folder over to your FireTV. Essentially, 4 files are important. The emby add-on settings.xml (found in userdata > addon_data > plugin.video.emby), and emby.db, myvideosxx.db, mymusicxx.db (found in userdata > databases)

SkyBehind

You could also unplug your network connection when booting up, reset the DB, then reenable your network connection... unless kodi is on the same box as your Emby server.

• Solution

Okay - I think it's fixed.  Figuring out how to do the reset worked, no more flickering either.

One thing, I didn't add music to the library, it seemed to hang on that often.  

Thank you for your help.  I've always had DB issues and I'd hoped Emby would bypass the native Kodi and MySQL problems I'd had before.  It does work much better, but Kodi db's are still involved, so...

• Like 1

Angelblue05

The Kodi db is only there to hold the info the add-on provides and present it in Kodi. Kodi is not involved in maintaining the emby data.

Glad you were able to get it working. What do you mean by "hang" and do you have any music import settings enabled in the addon settings > sync options (last few options)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last few days it would get to 7% and crap out on the music.  I would restart Kodi and the whole sync would kick off from scratch.  The problem was that the Kodi DB wasn't clearing, so maybe it was size issues.  I didn't want to run into again so I told it to not import music this time.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, well if ever you do decide to give it a try sometime, let me know. You can back up existing data, and enable music and run a manual sync, then grab your Kodi log so I can see what's going on. I do have a music library, but it's not very large. I do not have issues importing my music library.

Edited by Angelblue05

Ok, well if ever you do decide to give it a try sometime, let me know. You can back up existing data, and enable music and run a manual sync, then grab your Kodi log so I can see what's going on. I do have a music library, but it's not very large. I do not have issues importing my music library.

I may try it Sunday.  

• Like 1