Prevent all episodes for new tv content from showing in Latest screen

ABNParatrooper

ABNParatrooper

Was not sure how to title this. Basically is there a way for the latest content, especially for TV shows (a whole season) to not display the entire season across the screen, but rather maybe as a folder that will have the season in it. Right now if I add an entire season, each episode is displayed, so now I have a ten episodes of let's say Game of Thrones spread across the screen. It would be nice if instead of each individual episode, it show just the grouped folder or something, then I can click that icon/folder and see all the latest episodes in it.

Guest asrequested

That might be possible if someone designs a skin for it, but for now, you can toggle check mark for 'watched' and they should go away

ABNParatrooper

@Luke:This is on my Roku, on the web they are contained with a number that shows how many are inside.

@Doofus: I understand what you are saying, but doing that would remove them from the latest screen. I don't want them removed until I have actually watched them. If there is no fix, then I can just suck it up lol.

ABNParatrooper

Yes, in the web client is is grouped. This is happening in Roku. Hey Doofus, what is your setup: Is ET installed to a laptop or something then connected to your TV via HDMI, and the Emby server on a separate computer?

Guest asrequested

Yes, in the web client is is grouped. This is happening in Roku. Hey Doofus, what is your setup: Is ET installed to a laptop or something then connected to your TV via HDMI, and the Emby server on a separate computer?

No, I have an HTPC/server, connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-95 (7.1.2 Atmos, dtsX) with HDMI, and that is connected to the TV. I also have remote access on other devices.

ABNParatrooper

Look at you with your Lamborghini setup lol. Kool, I am not there yet, and that sounds expensive. Well I suppose this is more of a Roku issue than an Emby issue. I wonder how other Roku users are with this. I hope there are not others, and maybe I missed a configuration setting or something.

Guest asrequested

Look at you with your Lamborghini setup lol. Kool, I am not there yet, and that sounds expensive. Well I suppose this is more of a Roku issue than an Emby issue. I wonder how other Roku users are with this. I hope there are not others, and maybe I missed a configuration setting or something.

Not too bad, the computer was about $3000, I only have 8 hard drives. The whole system was about $8000. It gives me plenty of room to play with it. I am but a fledgling. You should see the systems that some of these guys have.

@@abnranger67

url = url + "/Users/" + HttpEncode(getGlobalVar("user").Id) + "/Items?IncludeItemTypes=Episode"
query = {
   recursive: "true"
   ExcludeLocationTypes: "Virtual"
   fields: "PrimaryImageAspectRatio,Overview"
   sortby: "DateCreated"
   sortorder: "Descending"
   ImageTypeLimit: "1"
}

Above is how the official roku client works. This is still using the old way to get latest items. This doesn't allow grouping or things of this nature.

But...Using the blueneon app you can change it to the method below. This is using the /items/latest preference from the options row at the bottom.

url = url + "/Users/" + HttpEncode(getGlobalVar("user").Id) + "/Items/Latest?IncludeItemTypes=Episode"
query = {
   fields: "DateCreated,ItemCounts,PrimaryImageAspectRatio,Overview"
   ImageTypeLimit: "1"
   EnableImageTypes: "Primary,Backdrop,Banner,Thumb"
   GroupItems: "false"
   EnableTotalRecordCount: "true"
}

Here you can see GroupItems is "false". This is for a reason. The roku doesn't have a content-type for these grouped episodes. To be able to have this feature would mean allowing group episodes to be treated like movie collections are, and have an interim screen. This is possible, I just never went down that road because having them ungrouped was obviously less work since thats how the app was designed. It can be looked at. I understand what you mean exactly.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Here you can see GroupItems is "false". This is for a reason. The roku doesn't have a content-type for these grouped episodes. To be able to have this feature would mean allowing group episodes to be treated like movie collections are, and have an interim screen. This is possible, I just never went down that road because having them ungrouped was obviously less work since thats how the app was designed. It can be looked at. I understand what you mean exactly.

You could just display the series poster/thumb and navigate to that instead.  That is how both the web client and the ATV apps handle it.

ABNParatrooper

Hmm, thanks all. Just to be clear, this is a Roku3 stick not a Roku TV. With that being said, if I can use that theme, I would need to get it from the roku channel store correct?

Hmm, thanks all. Just to be clear, this is a Roku3 stick not a Roku TV. With that being said, if I can use that theme, I would need to get it from the roku channel store correct?

Yes, its a theme, but really its an entirely different app. It has everything the official app can do, and then some. At the moment, there is no grouping.. yet.. I will work on grouping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You could just display the series poster/thumb and navigate to that instead. That is how both the web client and the ATV apps handle it.

That works so wonky doing it that way. How do you navigate easily to these new episodes? Doing it that way adds more clicks, so instead of all that, I would rather have an interim screen with just the new grouped episodes from each series shown. It just seems counter-intuitive to mention 3 new episodes and when clicked it just dumps you into the series. If the system knows what 3 are new, just show those, thats the intended behavior people expect. At least I expect it that way. Less clicks, faster navigation, relevant material on screen. Edited by speechles

That works so wonky doing it that way. How do you navigate easily to these new episodes? Doing it that way adds more clicks, so instead of all that, I would rather have an interim screen with just the new grouped episodes from each series shown. It just seems counter-intuitive to mention 3 new episodes and when clicked it just dumps you into the series. If the system knows what 3 are new, just show those, thats the intended behavior people expect. At least I expect it that way. Less clicks, faster navigation, relevant material on screen.

Well, that's the way all the other apps (other than EMC) are addressing it and probably the way that our official app will address it as well when updated.

With TV episodes, what was just added is rarely as important as what is up next to watch (unless they are the same thing and then it also doesn't matter) and the Series view shows you that right at the start.

Well, that's the way all the other apps (other than EMC) are addressing it and probably the way that our official app will address it as well when updated.

With TV episodes, what was just added is rarely as important as what is up next to watch (unless they are the same thing and then it also doesn't matter) and the Series view shows you that right at the start.

I meant in the context, of latest, navigate to series is incorrect behavior. Latest is just that, the newest things added. A person is using the app has chosen to navigate to latest in an effort to see what is new. This defeats the purpose grouping episodes as you get to know only how many new episodes were added, not which they are, or which seasons they were in. It should offer an interim screen showing the new episodes and you go from there. This seems counter-intutive making it spawn into the series view. It makes it impossible to know what is latest without clicking around through everything.

@@ebr another question, same topic. Suppose one fetches items/latest/ and doesnt make use of the groupitems key at all. Does this cause the sever to respect the value for groupitems internally? The internal groupitems is how the logged in user has set this in their user preferences. If it does, this makes it alot easier. If it doesnt, what is the call to get the logged in users groupitems bit?

Guest Grace1313

I meant in the context, of latest, navigate to series is incorrect behavior. Latest is just that, the newest things added. A person is using the app has chosen to navigate to latest in an effort to see what is new. This defeats the purpose grouping episodes as you get to know only how many new episodes were added, not which they are, or which seasons they were in. It should offer an interim screen showing the new episodes and you go from there. This seems counter-intutive making it spawn into the series view. It makes it impossible to know what is latest without clicking around through everything.

I agree with this.

Seems too many responses from Luke and Ebr are from a view of their own set up/personal preference.  I personally ALWAYS use latest, never up next so yes it is important to some of us.

Also, the most common response is, well we did that to keep it simple, yet there are so many apps that make you click and move around to get what you want.  doesn't make any sense.

ABNParatrooper

I appreciate all the feedback. I looked in the Roku channels store and did not find this Blue Neon there. I searched in the themes section and no result for this came up.

I appreciate all the feedback. I looked in the Roku channels store and did not find this Blue Neon there. I searched in the themes section and no result for this came up.

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

It isnt on the main roku store, to avoid confusion. It is available as a private app. You use a browser and visit the address above, it will ask you to log into your roku account, afterwards it will ask if you want to add the app to your roku.

ABNParatrooper

Thanks again, so I was able to apply the new theme, but it did not fix my issue. I am still seeing all the episodes lined across the screen. I will post a screenshot when I come back from the gym

Thanks again, so I was able to apply the new theme, but it did not fix my issue. I am still seeing all the episodes lined across the screen. I will post a screenshot when I come back from the gym

The default is using /items for the latest row. This way does not allow grouping

You can change the preference for "latest row" to /items/latest/

Now it still wont allow grouping.. as I still have to update the app to support it. The next update will allow grouping. This is all you have to wait for. I am still adding support for grouping and testing out different ways to make it happen. The best will likely be grouped episodes will be treated like a collection. This is the way I am making it to start with.

Also beyond just the new theme, there are many other features present. You can read through the blueneon thread which Happy2Play has posted. That should explain all the extra things available within the app.

Edited by speechles

ABNParatrooper

Again, thanks for all the hard work and support. I had already configured as you suggested before I posted my results. I will wait for the update. I will say, this theme/app does respond faster than the original.