New to emby have a question regarding a feature

LiquidMercury

LiquidMercury

New emby user as of today and really liking it so far. However I do have a question in the past I have used MySQL to create a centralized database between two separate instances of kodi, my main reason for doing this was to be able to start watching something in one room and finish in anothe. Is this feature in emby and am I completely missing it? If it is a feature could someone point me to literature on how to get it working?

Vidman

There is an emby for kodi addon that replaces the mysql method. You should set up everything in emby server they way you want then add the emby for kodi addon to a fresh kodi install and it will sync and maintain the kodi database with Emby server

Note: the initial sync may take a little while but once done it works very well

Edited by Vidman

LiquidMercury

Thanks for the link, I looked it over and did not see what I was looking for. Basically I am curious to know if I can start watching something in my living room on my Windows kodi PC then finish it off n the bedroom on my openelec box. I hope this helps clear things up

Angelblue05

Of course you can, the add-on turns Kodi into a media player only, it will handle everything else so you can use it like any other emby app - your emby server will maintain watched status and resume points so you can easily switch app and pick up where you left off...

The link - click the image, it will link to a youtube video tutorial so you can understand how this works. Right below, still on the github wiki, you'll need to follow the steps. The add-on is contained in the repository. So, to get going, just download the stable repository, install it in Kodi. Then navigate to the repository > video add-ons > emby (install) and follow the prompts.

Edited by Angelblue05

LiquidMercury

Quick question I've got an openelec machine running 16.1 and Windows running 17 alpha 2 the stable version of emby is not supporting 17 my question is do both the stable and beta repo's play nice together?

Angelblue05

I will try to answer the best I can, since your question is a bit vague. If you mean, having both add-on installed within your same network? Yes. You can have different versions installed on different Kodi (unlike MySQL). The reason, the server is the central point. The add-on only communicates with the server.

If you mean having both repositories installed on the same Kodi, I can't say anymore. I noticed in Isengard, Kodi seems to disregard the version I opted to install, and just installs the latest version it can find (meaning, it would install the beta version, even if I selected the stable version, since they have the same name). In that case, I'd suggest to install one or the other.

If I completely misunderstood, I apologize.