Question about Next Up Images

pclausen

pclausen

Sometime over the last couple of weeks, something happened to the way the Roku displays the Next Up TV shows.

Here's what it looks like now from within the TV Library:

rokunextupissue01.JPG

If I back out of the TV Library and look at them from the main page, they look correct and have the proper data displayed below each thumbnail:

rokunextupissue02.JPG

So is this a Roku client issue, or something that was changed with server version 3.1.5x.x?  I'm currently running 3.1.62.0 and the issue persist.

My other clients (Emby Theater, Shield (Android TV) and Apple TV don't have this issue, just all my Roku 3 clients.

Any ideas?

pclausen

I tried "Blue Neon Light" and it behaves the same way.

So nobody else is having this issue when they go into their TV Library and hit down arrow until getting to the row of "Next Up" episodes?

The Roku client is taken the 16:9 thumb image for each episode, and resizing it to that of a movie poster 2:3 image, and dropping the text below it.

What would cause this behavior?

I tried "Blue Neon Light" and it behaves the same way.

So nobody else is having this issue when they go into their TV Library and hit down arrow until getting to the row of "Next Up" episodes?

The Roku client is taken the 16:9 thumb image for each episode, and resizing it to that of a movie poster 2:3 image, and dropping the text below it.

What would cause this behavior?

Which server version?

3dc97cc699e19da2a0a02906f753c0ec.jpg

That row should be requesting the series poster for its image, not a thumbnail. With server updates though, comes possible API changes that may break things. Can you post a screenshot of how yours looks?

What happens if you press * on that screen and choose "Change View Style". For "Image Style" choose poster. Even if it already says poster choose it again. This may fix the issue.

Edited by speechles

pclausen

Latest Beta server version (3.1.63.0).

Here are a couple of screen shots from just now.

This part looks ok:

rokunextuo03.JPG

But scrolling down to Next Up, I get this:

rokunextuo04.JPG

Happy2Play

I believe I have seen this before but backing out or closing app and reopening it fixed the issue.  I believe it to be a cache/memory issue on the Roku itself.  Haven't seen it in await after the 7.2 update my app auto closes after so long, everyday I have to re-open the app.

*Sorry I will have to recheck since you are talking about with the Library not the home screen.

Edited by Happy2Play

pclausen

Hmm, I just power cycled the Roku (have done this already but tried again just now) and the issue persists.

Went to a TV in another room running Emby Theater, and this is what it looks like there:

rokunextup05.JPG

Notice how Animal Kingdom here is also pulling a specific episode image, but perhaps that is because I only have a fanart.jpg file in the Series folder and not also a landscape.jpg file?

Just for giggles, I went to my Shield, and it behaves the same as the Emby Theater client:

shield01.JPG

Edited by pclausen

I see what the issue is. It is a server side change.

... snipped irrelevant ...

else if row = 2
  ' Tv next up
  url = url  + "/Shows/NextUp?recursive=true"
  query.AddReplace("SortBy", "SortName")
  query.AddReplace("fields", "PrimaryImageAspectRatio,Overview")
  query.AddReplace("userid", getGlobalVar("user").Id)
  query.AddReplace("ParentId", m.parentId)

if row = 2
        mode = "seriesimageasprimary"
    else if row = 4
    else if row = 5

... snipped irrelevant...

if mode = "seriesimageasprimary" And i.SeriesPrimaryImageTag <> "" And i.SeriesPrimaryImageTag <> invalid

imageUrl = GetServerBaseUrl() + "/Items/" + HttpEncode(i.SeriesId) + "/Images/Primary/0"

metaData.HDPosterUrl = BuildImage(imageUrl, sizes.hdWidth, sizes.hdHeight, i.SeriesPrimaryImageTag, isPlayed, PlayedPercentage, UnplayedCount)
            metaData.SDPosterUrl = BuildImage(imageUrl, sizes.sdWidth, sizes.sdHeight, i.SeriesPrimaryImageTag, isPlayed, PlayedPercentage, UnplayedCount)

This means, the server is doing something with nextup differently and isn't giving us the series image as primary. This is odd. I have only seen it misbehave like that when there is a problem with the * and the viewstyle. Seeing you just freshly installed the blueneon app it shouldn't be possible to get into that state. I've corrected the issue with this ever happening in the blueneon app in fact. There is no way possible to create a scenario that cannot be undone any longer.

This is why this issue has to be server side. The app is diligently requesting the image be a series image as primary. It is also requesting correctly from the nextup. Something has to have changed on the server that is making this problem.

Has the server stopped using the SeriesPrimaryImageTag to indicate there is a primary image available to use? Maybe this is why since it controls this behavior directly.

Happy2Play

Notice how Animal Kingdom here is also pulling a specific episode image, but perhaps that is because I only have a fanart.jpg file in the Series folder and not also a landscape.jpg file?

Yes that is why you are getting that behavior for that series (missing landscape/thumb image on series). 

pclausen

So I fixed that series by going to "Edit Images" from the browser interface.    I guess none of the scheduled tasks I have running nightly (Chapter Image Extraction, Clean Database, Download missing subtitles, Refresh people, Scan media library) picks up missing landscape/thumb images on series?

Would a refresh from within Metadata Manager/TV pick them up?

In the browser under TV Shows, I noticed that Suggestions, Latest and Upcoming all use thumb images, but the Shows tab use the primary image.  It does so even if I change the treatment from "Case" to Thumb/TV within the Coverart plugin.  This makes it hard to "catch" any missing thumbs.

Anyway, hopefully Luke or someone will chime in on the original issue with the Roku client being server side.  I would say the change occurred sometime in the last 2 weeks.