Why is Emby querying TMDB for future series that don't exist yet?

Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

So I've been trying to get my scan speeds back down again as since the last couple of upgrades they've crept back up and up again. This is partially caused by things I'd switched off in the metadata settings being re-enabled during the upgrade process, can that please stop. Some of us spend ages optimising our systems for the best performance and to have half of those setting changes reversed when ever there's an upgrade done is frustrating at best and a damned annoyance.

Anyway, that's a "by the by".

To the point of my post...

On going through my logs I noticed quite a few Errors from TMDB and thought perhaps some of my metadata may be at fault so decided to investigate it a bit further and was suprised to say the least when I realised what was going on.

Here's a couple of examples from my log to illustrate this.

2016-07-06 12:31:00.7468 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/1412/season/5?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&append_to_response=images,keywords,external_ids,credits,videos&language=en&include_image_language=en,null
2016-07-06 12:31:01.3068 Error HttpClient: Error getting response from https://api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/1412/season/5?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&append_to_response=images,keywords,external_ids,credits,videos&language=en&include_image_language=en,null
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5972.0
	Command line: C:\Users\iana\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 8
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\iana\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\iana\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	One or more errors occurred.
	System.AggregateException
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__1d.MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.Net.WebException
	The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
	   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)

2016-07-06 12:31:01.3068 Error MovieDbSeasonProvider: No metadata found for 5
2016-07-06 12:31:01.5252 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/62710/season/2?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&append_to_response=images,keywords,external_ids,credits,videos&language=en&include_image_language=en,null
2016-07-06 12:31:01.6700 Error HttpClient: Error getting response from https://api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/62710/season/2?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&append_to_response=images,keywords,external_ids,credits,videos&language=en&include_image_language=en,null
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5972.0
	Command line: C:\Users\iana\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 8
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\iana\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\iana\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	One or more errors occurred.
	System.AggregateException
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__1d.MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.Net.WebException
	The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
	   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)

2016-07-06 12:31:01.6700 Error MovieDbSeasonProvider: No metadata found for 2

At first glance these just appear to be fairly innocuous errors that take next to no time to happen so aren't really impacting on the performance very much, then you realise what it's actually doing.

So for example:

-------------------

The first one of these issues a GET to TMDB's api using this: api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/1412/season/5 which breaks down to TV Show 1412 in their database and Season 5 of that show.

TV show 1412 in their database is Arrow https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/1412-arrow and there isn't a season 5 for Arrow yet (it's due to start in October). So quite rightly TMDB sends back a 404 not found.

-------------------

The second one of these issue a GET to TMDB's api using this: api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/62710/season/2 which breaks down to TV Show 62710 and Season 2 of that show.

TV show 62710 in their database is Blindspot https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/62710-blindspot and there isn't a season 2 for Blindspot yet (it's due to start in September). So again, quite rightly, TMDB sends back a 404 not found.

-------------------

Now, as said, I appreciate this isn't taking up a lot of time (up to half a second or so each) so no major performance hit, but it does seem to be a very strange thing to be doing and my log has at least 15 of these in it from one scan. Is this an intentional thing or is there a small bug/regression somewhere causing this?

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Do those seasons show up in the interface?  They exist on tvdb.

We get information for new shows before they premiere.  This is how we provide "Upcoming".

Ian-Highlander

Do those seasons show up in the interface?  They exist on tvdb.

No they don't show up in the interface or in my folder structure as shown below.

577d0870aa1d2_Untitled.jpg

577d08a12df82_Untitled2.jpg

We get information for new shows before they premiere.  This is how we provide "Upcoming".

Yes, to a point I understand that much, but as part of a standard media scan? From experience the TVDB is always ahead of TMDB and indeed I use TVDB as my defacto standard for everything on my system these days, although it's not always right in advance because it's user submitted.

As I've said a couple of times now it's not a particular issue, just trying to understand it (and point it out incase it was something that wasn't known about), seems to me to be a strange way of doing things, querying for things that don't exist (at least on the system you're querying).

Tmdb actually has better metadata for seasons than tvdb but this is within your control.  If you don't want it searching for that information, you can disable tmdb for Seasons in your settings.

You probably have turned off the option to show missing and unaired items which is why you don't see them in the interface.

Ian-Highlander

Yeah I use the missing episodes filter through the episodes page of the web interface if/when I want to make sure I'm not missing anything, don't want them showing up in the main interfaces. Can do with out the "when's this one going to be there Dad" all the time.  :lol: