No playback for HEVC files and wrong subs loaded

Ceten

Ceten

Hello

I've used the new Emby Theater for a while now and it runs very stable and keeps improving constantly.
Thanks for the auto logout btw!

Yesterday however I noticed two errors while catching up with Game of Thrones (yes I know, I'm a few seasons behind but now I can binge watch them;)).
The first one was really a minor one, the episode played fine but the English subs were loaded instead of the Dutch ones that I've set as default in the preferences.
This works correctly with files with external subs, but this one only had internal subs so maybe that's the cause?

The second one was when I tried to watch another episode: the loading circle just kept spinning and the episode didn't start playing.
I tried a few times but the file didn't start.
This morning I checked the logs and noticed that the InternalDirectShowPlayer throws a NullReferenceException on starting the episode.

2016-06-21 23:02:59.7979 Error InternalDirectShowPlayer: InvokeOnPlayerThread
	Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
	System.NullReferenceException
	   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
	   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
	   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)
	   at Emby.Theater.DirectShow.InternalDirectShowPlayer.InvokeOnPlayerThread(Action action, Boolean throwOnError)

2016-06-21 23:02:59.7979 Error InternalDirectShowPlayer: Error beginning playback
	Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
	System.NullReferenceException
	   at Emby.Theater.DirectShow.InternalDirectShowPlayer.InvokeOnPlayerThread(Action action, Boolean throwOnError)
	   at Emby.Theater.DirectShow.InternalDirectShowPlayer.PlayTrack(String path, Int64 startPositionTicks, Boolean isVideo, BaseItemDto item, MediaSourceInfo mediaSource, String forcedVideoRenderer)
	   at Emby.Theater.DirectShow.InternalDirectShowPlayer.Play(String path, Int64 startPositionTicks, Boolean isVideo, BaseItemDto item, MediaSourceInfo mediaSource, String forcedVideoRenderer)

I also noticed the following line in the log:

2016-06-21 23:04:28.4639 Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Current HWA Mode: None Desired Mode: DXVA2CopyBack

Does this mean that no hardware acceleration is used?

I've attached the full log with the complete error and will check my player settings tonight but I think they were set to use MADVR.

Anyone has any ideas on how to solve these 2 problems?

Thanks!

theater-63602144954.txt

Ceten

So if an external sub is marked as default, the server setting for subs will be ignored?
Not a big problem anyway as it's quite easy to change the selected subtitle.
I'll do some tests with other files just to make sure that it's only hevc files that don't play.

Edited by Ceten

Depends on the subtitle mode setting, so make sure to read the description for each one.

Ceten

I did some more testing with several files over the weekend on 2 different pc's. All H264 files play without error, most HEVC files too.
The only differences I noticed between the HEVC files that played and didn't play was the pixel format.

Example of a file that plays, pixel format yuv420p:

577110f2db469_StrikeBackS04E01MediaInfo.

Example of a file that doesn't play, pixel format yuv420p10le:

5771112477e13_S04E01mediainfo.png

I looked this up and it seems that the file that doesn't play has a 10-bit color profile.
Is this not supported by LAV Filters?

babgvant

I did some more testing with several files over the weekend on 2 different pc's. All H264 files play without error, most HEVC files too.

The only differences I noticed between the HEVC files that played and didn't play was the pixel format.

Example of a file that plays, pixel format yuv420p:

577110f2db469_StrikeBackS04E01MediaInfo.

Example of a file that doesn't play, pixel format yuv420p10le:

5771112477e13_S04E01mediainfo.png

I looked this up and it seems that the file that doesn't play has a 10-bit color profile.

Is this not supported by LAV Filters?

Do you have a sample you can share, and the debug log file when it breaks?

It should work, but it's possible that something is configured incorrectly. I haven't tested for this format (no samples), so I can't say for certain.

Ceten

Do you have a sample you can share, and the debug log file when it breaks?

It should work, but it's possible that something is configured incorrectly. I haven't tested for this format (no samples), so I can't say for certain.

I've created a sample, you can download it from here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq9IpqeX5hdplLsBXl_yWZc6at1g1g

The log file when trying to play this file is attached.

Or is there a way to enable more extensive logging?

Thanks for looking into it!

theater-63602748872.txt

• 3 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

I just thought I'd give it a try. Plays perfectly, with any filter (EVR, EVR+ and MadVR) and any audio track. Also with or without subs.

Edited by Doofus

2.5.1 is headed up and contains a very important improvement. Thanks to some fullscreen fixes with the latest version of Electron, the app is finally able to use true fullscreen mode with the OS as opposed to the "fake" fullscreen mode that you were seeing before. I think this is going to help with situations like resuming from sleep or receiver turning on and off leading to loss of fullscreen.

Additionally, due to the a change in the way video renderer settings are stored, you'll need to reconfigure your Video Renderer. The default is now Auto, which will allow the app to decide which one to use based on the hardware available.

Guest asrequested

2.5.1 is headed up and contains a very important improvement. Thanks to some fullscreen fixes with the latest version of Electron, the app is finally able to use true fullscreen mode with the OS as opposed to the "fake" fullscreen mode that you were seeing before. I think this is going to help with situations like resuming from sleep or receiver turning on and off leading to loss of fullscreen.

Additionally, due to the a change in the way video renderer settings are stored, you'll need to reconfigure your Video Renderer. The default is now Auto, which will allow the app to decide which one to use based on the hardware available.

Nice! I'll go get it