Picture folder scan depth

bayn

Hello, 

I have a mixed media folder for my art stuff, one of these folders is 4 levels down as a library /1/2/3/pictures and the server will not scan any of the pictures in it while the videos in it will display fine; it just looks like a folder with video's in it when browsing.

If I copy this folder higher in the tree, say "/pictures" and add that as a library, both the pictures and videos in it will scan fine and show properly, the thumbnail is auto generated fine and the browsing is as expected.

Is there a limit on how far down pictures can be? Videos, as I mentioned, work fine no matter the folder depth. Due to organization I don't want to permanently move this folder higher in the directory but of course I can as a work around for a while.

Server version is 3.0.5972.0

Let me know what information you may need, I will try to pull a log of the scan and attach it shortly.

Thanks!

I don't believe we've ever supported or tested photos in a mixed-content library because it is impossible to know that we should be treating those as media just in that folder.

I highly recommend you split these out to a separate library and define them properly as photos.

Alternately, you can try using the metadata manager and going to the parent "pictures" folder and setting its content type to "Photos" and see if that works.

Hello ebr,

First I need to try and see if I can point to a picture folder to see if it scans that "deep" in the directory, I want to say that Emby still would not show pictures that far down (thought I could be wrong and just missed that when troubleshooting).

Second, my use case (for not splitting these) is that these are lessons with both pictures and video used as references and guides; though Emby's flexibility would let me probably find a way around this. I'll do more testing tonight and report back in case this helps someone else in the future trying to do the same.

Still if this is unsupported, or unsupported for now, I'm not going to lose sleep over it I can try to re-arrange my folders and work around it; as I said its working perfectly when its in a shallow folder. Maybe someone trying to do the same will see this and learn they can just move their directories around to have Emby show them properly.

On an unrelated note - this is one of my favorite features of Emby is that it is a media streamer. I love my TV and Movies as much as the next person but having such a large collection of training videos that i can easily modify the metadata to add my own covers/text etc and have it available anywhere is great. Please don't lose that focus.