Restore "Like" "Dislike" for enhanced Suggested.

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi,

I noticed that "Like" and "Dislike" has been removed from recent builds. The current challeneges around suggestions not withstanding . It would make sense that Like and Dislike would be a central element in suggested content.

"Because I watched" something doesn't mean I necessarily liked it and even more so if I disliked something I wouldn't want recommendations for similar stuff.

Like is also quite different that "Favorite". They are distinct levels of preference.

So can Like and Dislike be brought back? Even if they are not currently being used in suggestions seems like they are a key component.

-Vicpa

Please Like :P  this post if you agree!! ​

• Like 2

spootdev

Yeah, no clue why they were removed.  I was pissed when I found they wiped out many hours of "work" of me setting that value on tons of media.  Was the last nail in the coffin for me.   :lol:

Angelblue05

To be fair, I don't believe the feature was used much to begin with. I didn't personally find it added any real value to my day to day usage. Just to say, Plex doesn't have like/dislike or even favorite... [emoji33]

I think suggestions shouldn't depend on wasting many hours of manual labor. Instead it should be based on passive information about what you are watching.

Also, having both like and dislike seems a bit redundant. Like doesn't bring much to the table and would require you to manually like all your content. It'd be less complex to assume everything is Liked, unless you actually dislike the content. Therefore, I'd only like to see dislike come back. Just my opinion. I don't think the Emby team's decision on this particular feature was a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Vicpa

Hi

"I think suggestions shouldn't depend on wasting many hours of manual labor. Instead it should be based on passive information about what you are watching."

I kind of agree but that assumes a pretty sophisticated internal algorithm or third party tool. Plex uses Gracenote for lots of things wouldn't surprise me if they use some service.

Even Amazon which must have a massive recommendation engine has a way to improve recommended choices. See below

575edc7af19fe_recommend.png

Your point about bringing back only dislike is great!! You are right like is redundant.

Maybe someday we will even get already viewed items removed from suggestions as well.

• Like 1

computerprep

A few cents from me on this subject.

My wife and I use the favorites button a little differently. Those are movies we haven't watched yet but really want to... where we don't want the other watching it without us.

So we share a login, but that's fine for us.

So by its nature, our favorites list contains no watched content and doesn't always give us accurate "suggested for you to watch" lists.

Again, we're okay with that, but some accounting for this type of use would be great. Others might use it this way to.

• Like 1

WelFedTed

I too use the favourites like this, it's essentially my 'To Watch' list.

Having a favourites list seems like an odd choice to me, I'd much rather be able to rate the content and then view movies / tv shows in order of my ratings.

There should be a setting to switch the appearance of the favourites list to be a 'To Watch' list for users that use this feature in this way.
The setting could simply change the name from 'Favorites' to 'My List' or 'To Watch', and the heart icon to something else for add to my list or add to watch list.