Qnap + Emby or qnap Kodi+Emby addon

babuja

babuja

i guys,

I use a qnap ts251+ connected to my tv as media server. I've been using kodi with some addons and want to use Emby addon so i can see content on my tv with hdmi connect to qnap but also in my other devices.

Whats the diference between kodi+emby addon and qnap with bought aplications?

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome. The Emby for Kodi addon is a plugin for Kodi to allow it to display Emby libraries.  What bought applications are you asking about for comparison?

babuja

Hi Luke, thanks. Sorry for my english, not bought but both.

I can install kodi+Emby addon on the device tablet, smarphhone, qnap and i can install emby directly in the qnap (not a kodi addon).

Im trying to find the best solution to play the qnap content and stream movies from salt, 1movie, etc in my TV but also in other devices. Cheers

Angelblue05

No, the add-on only adds your emby content to Kodi. It does not help streaming Kodi content to emby and other devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babuja

Thanks mate. So why would someone want to add Emby to Kodi? Just to introduce a better interface and remote streaming?

Edited by babuja

PhilWhite

Thanks mate. So why would someone want to add Emby to Kodi? Just to introduce a better interface and remote streaming?

A few years ago the main benefit was that Kodi could (and still can) play virtually any type of video file, usually directly without transcoding.  Now Emby (and the Fire TV and other android apps) has improved so much that I, personally, don't see any benefit other than the personalization you can achieve with Kodi.  I've really grown to like the Emby skin, though, so I stopped using Emby for Kodi two years ago.  I started using Kodi for the HDHR live addon (at times), but I use Emby for everything else (including live TV, at times).

When I need a new server I'm thinking about the QNAP as well.  Looks like a very good option.

ETA:  I guess one other benefit in using Emby for Kodi would be if you need to use hardware acceleration.  Kodi does that pretty well now.  Not sure if Emby can use HW acceleration, but I don't think so.

Edited by PhilWhite

• 3 weeks later...
raven-au

A few years ago the main benefit was that Kodi could (and still can) play virtually any type of video file, usually directly without transcoding.  Now Emby (and the Fire TV and other android apps) has improved so much that I, personally, don't see any benefit other than the personalization you can achieve with Kodi.  I've really grown to like the Emby skin, though, so I stopped using Emby for Kodi two years ago.  I started using Kodi for the HDHR live addon (at times), but I use Emby for everything else (including live TV, at times).

It depends on the client your using.

If you are one or more Sony Android TVs the switch away from libVLC has made the Emby client a bit of a problem for me.

It is unable to passthrough DD now and if the bitstream option is enabled it will hang on DD with bitrate > 448k, and likely hang on DTS too but didn't even bother to try.

Also it tends to want to transcode much more than it did and that gets the aspect ratio wrong in quite a few cases too.

I'm really don't want my audio to always be stereo, especially since I added a DD track to a bunch of shows because DTS passthrough isn't supported and DD passthrough was at the time, only to suddenly to find an application change has caused it to hang on higher bit rates.

raven-au

The most common reasons to use the Emby for Kodi plugin is, as  @@PhilWhite says, pliability without transcoding which is fairly important if you are using a NAS, but also to maintain watched status and watched progress when using more than one client on possibly more than one device, since that information is held within the server.