Auto organize question

roberth58

roberth58

How long does it take after a episode is added to tvdb before auto organize recognizes it? Right now I have current episodes from 5 shows that are listed in tvdb, but auto organize has ignored them for 2 days.  

Guest asrequested

How long does it take after a episode is added to tvdb before auto organize recognizes it? Right now I have current episodes from 5 shows that are listed in tvdb, but auto organize has ignored them for 2 days.  

Are they in your activity log? It might have skipped them.

roberth58

Are they in your activity log? It might have skipped them.

Yup, they are listed in red in the log, also tried a manual organize and that fails as well. Auto organize is working on some shows just not all of them and it worked on earlier episodes of the ones its ignoring now..

Starlionblue

Yup, they are listed in red in the log, also tried a manual organize and that fails as well. Auto organize is working on some shows just not all of them and it worked on earlier episodes of the ones its ignoring now..

I had the same issue since the last update or two (beta) but solved it. The episode did not show up in the auto-organize list at all. Emby says it has no access to the path.

Here was the problem: Windows 10 mega-update killed the Emby service. I reinstalled Emby but didn't change the Windows account the service was using. Have now changed to an account that has access...

Edited by Starlionblue

I'm having the same issue since the last update or two (beta). The episode did not show up in the auto-organize list at all. Here's the relevant log passage. Emby says it has no access to the path, but it hadn't created the path yet...

This isn't true. It always tries to create the path before writing the file, and that's when this error was thrown. Notice in the stack trace you see InternalCreateDirectory.

Starlionblue

This isn't true. It always tries to create the path before writing the file, and that's when this error was thrown. Notice in the stack trace you see InternalCreateDirectory.

It didn't in fact create the path. I checked. It said it did in the log but the path wasn't there.

However I noticed that when I recreated the Emby service (after it was killed by a W10 update) it was now on "local system account". Changing the service's user to one with access to the share fixed the issue.

Yes, I know it didn't create the path, because the operating system raised an error when we tried to do that.

Yes, as you figured out, it was permissions. You can make things much easier on yourself by just running the server with the tray icon. 

The Emby Server startup wizard discussed the service and how it requires permissions on the user that the service runs under. If this is not something you're accustomed to configuring, then I would suggest just using the tray icon.

dcook

The tray icon however requires that a user be logged in, I think you should change your design and make the EMBY service the default starting method, that way you don't have to worry about logging into the computer, and the service can be set to start automatically, so even on a power failure or reboot the EMBY service will start up.

Relying on a tray icon which also requires a user logged in seem like a bad design

Yes, as you figured out, it was permissions. You can make things much easier on yourself by just running the server with the tray icon. 

The Emby Server startup wizard discussed the service and how it requires permissions on the user that the service runs under. If this is not something you're accustomed to configuring, then I would suggest just using the tray icon.

The tray icon however requires that a user be logged in, I think you should change your design and make the EMBY service the default starting method, that way you don't have to worry about logging into the computer, and the service can be set to start automatically, so even on a power failure or reboot the EMBY service will start up.

Relying on a tray icon which also requires a user logged in seem like a bad design

Are you volunteering to answer user questions about Windows Services? Because that's what is going to happen if we made the service the default. Emby Server has the same features no matter how it's launched (save for auto-update). But how it's launched can affect what it has access to do on the local system.

Starlionblue

I'm divided on this issue. I definitely want to run as a service because I'm not always logged in. This is also a solution for many other users with a dedicated server at home. It's mildly annoying at update time but otherwise no biggie.

However I can see Luke's point. In the tray is a simpler solution. And if you have a working knowledge of services you can probably figure out how to configure it.

If I might request two minor tweaks to the service:

• Add "Service Log On User must have access to media directories" in the service description. That way when you configure the service you get a strong hint.
  • Add "Delayed Start Recommended" in the same place. If the service starts immediately most likely the network isn't up yet, so no media access. The 20 second delayed start fixes the issue
  • Like 1

dcook

If your documentation is accurate there should not be any issues.  

Almost all other programs like this run as a service, that is what services were designed for, so they start automatically so you don't have to worry about them running.  

Can you imagine if you are running a web server or a email server and had to make sure the user was logged in before they would work?

Seems to me is that your auto update does not work with service, if you fix that so it will stop and start the service then there would not be any issues.

Are you volunteering to answer user questions about Windows Services? Because that's what is going to happen if we made the service the default. Emby Server has the same features no matter how it's launched (save for auto-update). But how it's launched can affect what it has access to do on the local system.

Edited by dcook

If your documentation is accurate there should not be any issues.  

Sorry, but that made me chuckle.... :D

• Like 1

Yea this isn't a question of what's better between the two, it's a question of what is the most practical. So many people would get tripped about permissions and half of them would dismiss Emby as "not working". We're not doing that. But it really shouldn't be a problem. We offer the service which means you can still use it for your own setup if you like.

roberth58

Well, to partially answer my own question it seems that after only 7 days auto organize picked up new episodes from 1 of the 5 shows I'm having problems with. Of course it only picked up 2 of the 3 episodes. Luke, is there some delay accessing tvdb built into Emby? The problem seems to be with the latest episodes. As an example, Season 2 of Bloodline has 10 episodes all listed in tvdb but auto organize only recognizes episode 1.

drashna

I really wish that Emby installed as a system server (exclusively), to the Program Files directory, and used the ProgramData folder on Windows, by default.  You can authenticate samba/SMB/CIFS/Windows Shares as the service account with mono/.NET framework, and you can cache the credentials for said shares. 

Though, I understand that doing this would probably make it harder for cross platform support, may be significantly more difficult to implement, etc. 

Sorry, but that made me chuckle.... :D

As somebody that does tech support and customer service, I have to agree. :)

You can have the best documentation in the world... and people will still ignore it and bitch that things don't work right, even if you have easily searchable, well written guides.

Though, I understand that doing this would probably make it harder for cross platform support...

• Like 1

roberth58

More fun with auto organize today. Organize can't differentiate between "The Librarians" and "The Librarians (2014)" 2 very different shows. Of the 20 episodes of The Librarians 16 were blue (duplicates) and 4 were red because the episodes do not exist in The Librarians (2014). Did a manual organize on a red episode and checked smart match, since all 20 were named the same way I figured smart watch would work on the next organize. No chance, now 16 blue and 3 red. Any chance this can be fixed since tvdb commonly uses (year) and (country) in show titles to differentiate them. 

Guest asrequested

More fun with auto organize today. Organize can't differentiate between "The Librarians" and "The Librarians (2014)" 2 very different shows. Of the 20 episodes of The Librarians 16 were blue (duplicates) and 4 were red because the episodes do not exist in The Librarians (2014). Did a manual organize on a red episode and checked smart match, since all 20 were named the same way I figured smart watch would work on the next organize. No chance, now 16 blue and 3 red. Any chance this can be fixed since tvdb commonly uses (year) and (country) in show titles to differentiate them. 

If you manually correct it in the database, you should be able to use the SMART feature

roberth58

If you manually correct it in the database, you should be able to use the SMART feature

Any hints on what to correct in what database.

We need a little more information to help with this problem:

• Do you have both shows in your local library?
  • How is/are the series folder(s) named?
  • Please provide a filename example of the files that need to be organized
  • Please provide a screenshot of your smart matches list showing the registered match strings for the series

(or send me the autoorganize.xml file from your config folder)

roberth58

We need a little more information to help with this problem:

• Do you have both shows in your local library?
  • How is/are the series folder(s) named?
  • Please provide a filename example of the files that need to be organized
  • Please provide a screenshot of your smart matches list showing the registered match strings for the series

(or send me the autoorganize.xml file from your config folder)

Yes I have both shows, thats why it showed 16 episodes of The Librarians as duplicates for The Librarians (2014).

The show folders are named The Librarians and The Librarians (2014) exactly as tvdb names them

the.librarians.s01e04.mkv, auto organize will match this to The Librarians (2014)

the.librarians.2014.s01e04.mkv, auto organize will match this to The Librarians (2014)

the match string was "the.librarians"

Filebot also gets confused between the 2 shows, but unlike auto organize it lists the show names that it finds that are close and you can pick the correct one. Auto organize does not give you a chance to correct a show that it has matched in error.

To fix it I ran filebot to fix the titles, copied the files to the correct folder, ran a scan and emby happily created the thumbs and nfo files. This also worked last week when auto organize refused to pickup episodes for 5 different shows that has been listed on tvdb for at least a week. As soon as I renamed them and moved them to their folders emby could then find the info on tvdb and added them to my library.

Starlionblue

Yes I have both shows, thats why it showed 16 episodes of The Librarians as duplicates for The Librarians (2014).

The show folders are named The Librarians and The Librarians (2014) exactly as tvdb names them

the.librarians.s01e04.mkv, auto organize will match this to The Librarians (2014)

the.librarians.2014.s01e04.mkv, auto organize will match this to The Librarians (2014)

the match string was "the.librarians"

Filebot also gets confused between the 2 shows, but unlike auto organize it lists the show names that it finds that are close and you can pick the correct one. Auto organize does not give you a chance to correct a show that it has matched in error.

To fix it I ran filebot to fix the titles, copied the files to the correct folder, ran a scan and emby happily created the thumbs and nfo files. This also worked last week when auto organize refused to pickup episodes for 5 different shows that has been listed on tvdb for at least a week. As soon as I renamed them and moved them to their folders emby could then find the info on tvdb and added them to my library.

The first show is actually called "The Librarian" without an "s" while the 2014 one has an "s". Have you tried it without the "s".?

roberth58

The first show is actually called "The Librarian" without an "s" while the 2014 one has an "s". Have you tried it without the "s".?

Sorry wrong answer. "The Librarian" were the TV movies that later turned into "The Librarians (2014)" series. "The Librarians" is an Australian show about librarians. All of this info is on the tvdb site.