Blank Screen

djwhite

Walter

This issue seems to be on the server side. None of the new theaters I have installed on other computers except the one where server is installed work. All have a black screen. The old theater takes forever to start and when it does finally start, it does not respect the remember me option. It just seems now with every server release stuff is getting broken more and more. I had everything set up perfect and now with each release more and more problems occur. Most these issue occurring here don't seem to be related to theater itself but the server.

This issue seems to be on the server side. None of the new theaters I have installed on other computers except the one where server is installed work. All have a black screen. The old theater takes forever to start and when it does finally start, it does not respect the remember me option. It just seems now with every server release stuff is getting broken more and more. I had everything set up perfect and now with each release more and more problems occur. Most these issue occurring here don't seem to be related to theater itself but the server.

Sorry but I can pretty much promise this is not server related. I think it is either a failure to download hosted resources or a rendering problem with certain graphics cards.

See this post here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35256-blank-screen/?p=350217

justpig

I am now experiencing this problem. I had ET working for months and then yesterday it just started with a blank screen and nothing I have tried will resolve it. I am using AMD graphics. 

Walter

So this is an update. I figured out why I was getting a black screen with the new Theater and log on troubles with the old on all my other PC's beside the one server was installed. It ended up being an issue with hyper-v and the way it creates a virtual switch. Somehow windows chose to use the internal hyper-v switch as its gateway. That gave me an IP address inside of that virtual network instead of my local network. Emby server would use this as the local address and issue it to the other clients. Now streaming and all other stuff would work but certain requests would get dropped cause the was no port forwarding on that virtual switch. So if you are having trouble with blank screen make sure you are getting a local IP address. 

post-4950-0-80332200-1471124982_thumb.png

Edited by Walter

So this is an update. I figured out why I was getting a black screen with the new Theater and log on troubles with the old on all my other PC's beside the one server was installed. It ended up being an issue with hyper-v and the way it creates a virtual switch. Somehow windows chose to use the internal hyper-v switch as its gateway. That gave me an IP address inside of that virtual network instead of my local network. Emby server would use this as the local address and issue it to the other clients. Now streaming and all other stuff would work but certain requests would get dropped cause the was no port forwarding on that virtual switch. So if you are having trouble with blank screen make sure you are getting a local IP address. 

Lack of internet connection will currently cause a black screen. But if the internet is OK and Emby Server is unreachable, that should be fine, it will just bounce you to the connection wizard.

Walter

Funny thing is I never lost Internet. Maybe just the server was grabbing the wrong address and messing everything up. I'll I know is once Emby grabbed the local address instead of the hyper-v nat one everything started working again. By the way thanks for all your help with everything Luke, it's much appreciated.

justpig

I can confirm that there is an issue with the ip address. I use a VPN on the machine with the server and if the VPN is running ET starts with a blank screen on the other machines. If I stop the VPN, ET starts up just fine.

justpig

Will there be a fix for this? It is not practical for me to keep my VPN off. This issue seems to be from the server side because it affects all devices, roku, android and PC.

Will there be a fix for this? It is not practical for me to keep my VPN off. This issue seems to be from the server side because it affects all devices, roku, android and PC.

I think you should open a separate topic for your other apps but in those cases I don't think it is an Emby problem. Take Roku for example because it is the simplest example. When connecting to your server, you enter an ip address. It's a very simple thing. If the Roku device cannot reach that ip address then there is nothing Emby can do to change that. So whether you are running a VPN or not, you need to make sure there is an IP address in which the device can use to reach the server.

Walter

Its a problem with the initial way the server responds to a request from one of the apps. It can't communicate with the logon process but all other services work. In the case of the old emby theater app it hangs for around 30 seconds then default to the logon screen where you can logon and everything works fine from there. In the case of the new emby theater you just get a blank screen cause it can never resolve that initial communication. I'm not sure of how the initial communication works but I believe that is the main issue. 

Its a problem with the initial way the server responds to a request from one of the apps. It can't communicate with the logon process but all other services work. In the case of the old emby theater app it hangs for around 30 seconds then default to the logon screen where you can logon and everything works fine from there. In the case of the new emby theater you just get a blank screen cause it can never resolve that initial communication. I'm not sure of how the initial communication works but I believe that is the main issue. 

the initial communication is downloading html from github so if that fails that will cause a black screen.

justpig

This is an Emby problem because it should be resolving the internal LAN IP say 198.162.xxx.xxx but with the VPN on it is resolving the VPN WAN address instead.

This is an Emby problem because it should be resolving the internal LAN IP say 198.162.xxx.xxx but with the VPN on it is resolving the VPN WAN address instead.

But I don't think you understand. The Emby apps do not do any networking. Roku, web, Theater, etc. They rely on the device and operating system for that sort of thing.