Episode playing and some suggestions

Disorganise

Disorganise

Maybe I'm doing this wrong so posting so I can be corrected......or if I'm not doing it, so it can be picked up as an improvement.

It seems to me to be overly complicated to play an episode. I'm not a fan of the stuff on the right if the main "TV" screen cos it seems to be getting info other than what's available on my system....eg it's showing a series that I don't have the new season yet.

So I navigate to the all seasons as my preferred (would like to have this as the default "TV" screen when selecting the TV category).

Now I see all my shows. Two request arise:

Please add a filter for unwatched

Please differentiate between the unwatched count and the tick....they're bkth green and almost impossible to tell apart. In classic, one of them was red so it was easy to tell apart.....although a filter will remove the problem anyway i guess.

I find the show i want to watch and enter it. Now I get a play all button and just below a picture of the next unwatched episode. Hitting play all takes you back to S01E01 and clicking the picture of the next episode takes you into details of that episode where finally you can hit play.

Options;

Add a "play next" next to the "play all"

Change play all to to function as 'play all from here (next unwatched). Add a "restart season" and "restart entire show" option to the 3 dots menu

Add a play button just above the next episode picture

Let clicking the next episode start playing that episode.....if I want details of the episode I'm gonna scroll down to the list anyway

Bugs.....

Started watching s01e11 for a show night before last. Couldn't understand some dialogue. Tried to enable "CC" which I assumed would be subtitles. The exact series of steps escapes me but subtitles failed many times and I got kicked i to the next episode s01e12. No matter how many times I quit ET and reselected e11, e12 would play. I even played the end of e10 and let it finish the credits and it still jumped to e12. Ended up reverting to win10 media player using the mouse to play e11. Oddly, once we finished playing, reopening ET now let e11 play again. (I'm on 2.2.7 iirc).

The first episode playing after starting up ET misses the first 10-20 secs of video (audio plays whilst you're still staring at the episode details screen)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi there, welcome. We love feedback.

How is it complicated, I don't really understand. Click on episode then click play. Also we auto play next episode automatically. I really don't want to put all those extra buttons on the detail screen although eventually there will be right click menus for mouse usage and play buttons on posters for touch usage.

If you have a remote with a play button you can always press play on any poster.

However, a custom skin could do as many extra buttons as it wants:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-302-learn-how-to-create-skins-for-emby-theater/

AdrianW

I do think that @@Disorganise is correct about the "Play All" button on a series. This default button will virtually never be used as all it does is start playback from season one episode one. "Play Next Episode" would make much more sense as the default button.

My wife has hit the "Play All" button more than once when trying to play the next episode.

I'm sure that 99% of the time all that anyone wants to do is play the next episode.

As for "Restart season" and "Restart entire show" - these are not required, as the same can be achieved by checking & unchecking the "watched" tick at the season or show level.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 2

I do think that @@Disorganise is correct about the "Play All" button on a series. This default button will virtually never be used as all it does is start playback from season one episode one. "Play Next Episode" would make much more sense as the default button.

My wife has hit the "Play All" button more than once when trying to play the next episode.

I'm sure that 99% of the time all that anyone wants to do is play the next episode.

As for "Restart season" and "Restart entire show" - these are not required, as the same can be achieved by checking & unchecking the "watched" tick at the season of show level.

100% this, the play all is really weird it should only show when you have zero watched episodes in a series and should be swapped with a play next.

Also the Latest Episodes section should take you to the next episode you need to watch not just the show overview. 

As a side-note, how does the Next Up section get determined? Because I can be watching a series and many many times the next episode will never show up in the Next Up even though I just finished a episode of it(a show that is marked as new episodes), it shows tons of shows that I gave up on and haven't been watched in months.

• 3 weeks later...
sangerhonda

I also 100% this.  Have pushed "play all" only to restart the entire series. I like to see how many episodes are left or which one i may be missing.  With the "play all" i can't determine what episode am i on or how many more need to watch to finish the series.  In addition i tried the delete function and apparently it deleted the entire series.  I just wanted to delete the specific episode it was on.  

swhitmore

I think people need to be more aware that you can just hit the 'Play' button on the remote to start playing something without going to the details. I can't remember, but is there a tour of ET of first start? Does it include this?

AdrianW

I think people need to be more aware that you can just hit the 'Play' button on the remote to start playing something without going to the details. I can't remember, but is there a tour of ET of first start? Does it include this?

I tried this recently in ET, I was at the season list view with an episode half way down selected - I decided to try pressing play instead of navigating to the details view and it played the first episode of the season instead. So, this feature is not fully working yet.

jordy

I use a WMC RC6 remote and the "Play" button only works when the episode is already playing (pause / play). Playback only starts via the "OK" button.

swhitmore

Might be worth putting in a bug report for this. I thought it was all working, but I haven't tested it in a while.

jordy

Actually it doesn't bother me at all. I just like the fact that apart from the TV remote it's the only thing I need to wake the htpc, start ET, select the item, playback, adjust ETs settings and put the htpc back to sleep when i'm done. I actually found out last night that the left and right buttons move playback between chapters - never noticed that before - another plus. :)

• 4 months later...
jsbarde

I have to agree, play all is rarely ever used whereas play next would be super helpful. I don't think I've ever used play all, but I've hit it more times than I care to count. 

• Like 1