Skip Issue (Shield TV)

jasonmcroy

Kramerika

I just wanted to report back that my experiences in the past week with forward and rewind have been almost flawless on recordings in Emby with the Shield TV.  I have been using the MP4 +AAC conversion.  The stable version of the server was finally updated with the option to include the native AC3 stream the other day, so I will test that out this coming week with with our recordings.

Edited by Kramerika
  • Like 1

Kramerika

I can't include the native AC3 stream in the converted MP4.  It transcodes the stream on both the Nvidia Shield TV and Amazon Fire TV, and in doing so, renders fast forward and rewind not usable.  When I hit fast forward, it resets to the beginning of the recording.  Can the media players being used not handle AC3 audio in an MP4 which forces the transcoding?  I want to keep the original 5.1 audio intact to use with my surround sound, but not being able to fast forward and rewind through commercials makes it not worthwhile.  Is there no combination of container, video, and original AC3 audio that can be direct played to allow for fast-forwarding?  All of my MKV files with H264 video and AC3 audio fast-forward and rewind fine.

you should be able to use the native audio in mp4. try and find out why it's transcoding. there's got to be a good reason for that.

Kramerika

I have server version 5971 with MP4 conversion set keeping the native audio.  I have direct play for live TV and audio set and have the max bitrate set to 40 MB/s.  What else can I do in the settings?  When I turn off keeping the native audio, it plays the recordings that result directly.  I'll send a log from both the Shield TV and the Amazon Fire TV tonight.  The account name will be MediaServer.  Here is the media info for the file which comes straight from Emby without me doing anything additional to it.

General
Complete name                            : D:\My Documents\The Voice S10E27 Live Finale, Part 1.mp4

Format                                   : MPEG-4

Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 8.10 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 6mn
Overall bit rate                         : 9 136 Kbps
Writing application                      : Lavf57.32.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 8 744 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.141
Stream size                              : 7.76 GiB (96%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2665 a01e339
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x3 / me=dia / subme=1 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : ac-3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 fps (1536 spf)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 349 MiB (4%)
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1
Edited by Kramerika

well you haven't indicated what the problem is when keeping the native audio. that is the first step to diagnosing any issue.

jasonmcroy

I know that I started this thread but after too many times of getting the "failed to load video" error on some files (see more data below) and random skipping issues I have had to keep with using Kodi with the Addon on my Shield TV device. 

However, I would really like to see this App work because I like a lot of other aspects of it I will continue testing if you would like. I mostly quit because it didn't seem like my logs were giving the Dev anything he could see to fix.

In case it's needed and wanted, I did now just try to play a file I recorded last night (Gotham, Episode 22). I got the "failed to load video" error. I sent the logs from the App as previously requested. This was at around 1:27pm and the user is Jason.

For the past week I have been recording only via Emby's Live TV application with my HDHomerun Prime and Extend unit. I am having the files converted to MP4 but leaving the audio intact. 

Some of my recordings play back just fine in the Android App and some will not load, even though they are all being processed exactly the same way. 

If I changed the setting in the App to "Downmix to Stereo" they all play just fine without errors. However, I am keeping the audio because I want to pass through the audio to my receiver so I have surround sound. 

This is why I have been just sticking with Kodi because it plays everything totally fine with no issues. 

Kramerika

well you haven't indicated what the problem is when keeping the native audio. that is the first step to diagnosing any issue.

I can't include the native AC3 stream in the converted MP4.  It transcodes the stream on both the Nvidia Shield TV and Amazon Fire TV, and in doing so, renders fast forward and rewind not usable.  When I hit fast forward, it resets to the beginning of the recording.  Can the media players being used not handle AC3 audio in an MP4 which forces the transcoding?  I want to keep the original 5.1 audio intact to use with my surround sound, but not being able to fast forward and rewind through commercials makes it not worthwhile.  Is there no combination of container, video, and original AC3 audio that can be direct played to allow for fast-forwarding?  All of my MKV files with H264 video and AC3 audio fast-forward and rewind fine.

If I don't convert the live TV recordings, Emby direct plays them but can't fast-forward/rewind the TS+AC3 files.  If I convert the recordings to MP4+AAC, it direct plays and can fast-forward/rewind them, but I have no surround sound.  I am using an optical connection as I have no HDMI connections on my older receiver.  If I convert the recordings to MP4 keeping the native AC3, it transcodes, and I can't fast-forward/rewind.  Why is it transcoding for MP4+AC3?  My own movies and tv shows are MKV+AC3, and they do not get transcoded and have no issue being fast-forwarded/rewinded.  This happens both on my Fire TV and Shield TV.

The seeking issue with transcodes should be fixed in the beta that went up this morning.

As for the problem with converted Live TV recordings, the issue is that the Google player simply cannot decipher the audio stream as it has been converted.  I don't know why.  I don't know if it is a problem in the conversion we are doing or what but that is the issue.

• Like 1

Kramerika

That's good to hear, but I prefer direct play if possible.  The AC3 stream is the native audio that comes with live TV over the air, so that isn't being converted if I choose the option to keep it, right?  Only the video and container should be converted?  This is essentially what I do with my own movie rips except that I use MKV for the container.  I compress the video to h264, keep the native AC3/DTS audio and subtitles, and wrap it all in an MKV.  Those files direct play and fast-forward and rewind fine on my Shield TV and Fire TV.  It seems that there is some issue with MP4 + AC3 unless the video codec is causing the problem instead, but it does direct play if I choose to convert the audio to AAC as well.  I guess I need to understand how the conversion of the recordings is happening, what the Google player should be able to direct play, and why the app is transcoding them which seems to be the issue with fast-forwarding.

Kramerika

Well, whatever you did in the new beta seems to have fixed the issue, at least for the moment.  I can now direct play and fast forward and rewind MP4+AC3 without issue on both the Amazon Fire TV and the Shield TV.  The same is true for MP4 + AAC.  The only issue that I have is with TS + AC3, but that is to be expected based on what you stated.  Thanks!

jasonmcroy

Hi Ebr,

I had some time yesterday and today to play with the App some more. Per your testing and expectations are there still known issues with playback of the MP4 files with native AC3 audio left in tack? I saw there was an update today to 1.1.98g which is what I see in the app now, so that is the version I am on.

Here is what is happening for me: Some of my recordings play fine, direct play, skipping is great, etc. However, on some of them I am still getting the "Video failed to load error". I am only testing the ones that I have recorded with Emby TV. I have the audio set to "Direct".

For testing purposes I set the audio to "Downmix" to see what that would do. Again, the files that wouldn't play under Direct will play fine under Downmix. However, totally by accident I found one recording that just crashes the App completely when I try to play it back under Downmix (under Direct it just won't load the video, but the App doesn't crash). An option to send you a report came up when that happened so I sent it to you. It was around 1:35 and the user is Jason. I mention it in case the log gives you any clue as to what may be happening (if it's different than anything you have already found).

Anyway, that is what I am currently running into. It's just strange to me that all these recordings I am testing are ones that I have recorded under the exact same scenario (converted to MP4, audio kept as AC3) yet different ones do different things.

I did want to mention that Live TV playback looks really nice these days. I used the App last night to watch the Nascar race (in your back yard?) last night and I saw no glitches or issues at all. That has come a long way since the beginning of adding Live TV in this app!

Edited by jasonmcroy

Thanks for the report.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of Nascar country and have never been to a race.  Traffic around here was awful this weekend though so a lot of people are :D.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the report.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of Nascar country and have never been to a race.  Traffic around here was awful this weekend though so a lot of people are :D.

Funny enough, I am even into watching the races on TV but I've never been to a live race. I lived in Greensboro, NC for about 3 years (before that I was east of Raleigh in a VERY small town) and remember how crazy it was to try and approach Charlotte on a race weekend. 

• 3 months later...
jasonmcroy

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it again (sort of by accident while searching the forums for something else) and I wanted to mention that my experience with skipping in the past week has been flawless so far. With .ts or .mpg (recorded on HDHomerun DVR) I would occasionally have some issues skipping backwards but not forwards. 

However, with the Emby recordings remuxed to MP4 (now starting today to MKV) it has been working flawlessly both backwards and forwards. Fingers crossed this keeps up.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42239-android-tv-beta-13x/

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !