Something Weird is Going On...

theniteow1

Sorry, we don't have an archive of older versions available.  Can you please create the problem and then use the "Send logs" function in the app?  Then come here and tell me what time you did that and what Emby user was logged on at the time.  Also, if a transcode log is produced, please post that.  Thanks.

theniteow1

Sorry, we don't have an archive of older versions available.  Can you please create the problem and then use the "Send logs" function in the app?  Then come here and tell me what time you did that and what Emby user was logged on at the time.  Also, if a transcode log is produced, please post that.  Thanks.

Sounds good, I will do that right now in a couple of minutes.

theniteow1

Hi @@ebr I just sent the logs about 10 minutes ago.  The user I used was "MCuser".  No transcode logs were generated.  Thanks.

Okay, it appears that the provider isn't giving us enough information for the direct stream to work.  Not sure why it isn't just transcoding then, though...

I/System.out( 3609): Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate

theniteow1

Okay, it appears that the provider isn't giving us enough information for the direct stream to work.  Not sure why it isn't just transcoding then, though...

I/System.out( 3609): Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate

@@ebr That's interesting, I have this issue on all channels with anything above version 1.1.49a.  I have a combination of a CableCARD system, and OTA.  Would it be helpful to send you logs from the system that works?

theniteow1

Are you positive you have ServerWMC set to use http?

Yes, that's what I have been using this whole time.  Like I said I have one Fire TV that works just fine with the older version of the Emby App, and it is streaming using HTTP.  Here is a screenshot of the setting in ServerWMC:

5741d46a3a1d3_http.jpg

theniteow1

@@ebr I just tried the new beta, and still no bueno.  What I've observed is that the Fire TV will initiate the Direct/V Stream, but it never seems to hit the Emby Server as I don't ever see it in the console dashboard.  ServerWMC says it's streaming the video just fine, so perhaps it's an issue somewhere between the Fire TV App and Emby Server?

theniteow1

Please always provide a server log, thanks.

@@Luke Noted!  Here are my logs.  I tried to tune into Fox Business Channel 544 several times tonight, only when I turned off VLC did it play it.  However, then it transcoded it and no direct play. 

Edited by theniteow1

Taking emby server out of the mix poses a lot of challenge for us. At that point Emby is hardly involved, as we're literally just feeding libVlc the url that server wmc gives, and once that happens there's very little Emby involvement. that's why i would strongly suggest using the built-in live tv if at all possible. Just to be clear there's no problem with ServerWMC, I'm certainly not trying to suggest that. It's just easier to help you with the live tv support that we created. If it's working with Vlc off then why not just watch the program and enjoy it?

theniteow1

Taking emby server out of the mix poses a lot of challenge for us. At that point Emby is hardly involved, as we're literally just feeding libVlc the url that server wmc gives, and once that happens there's very little Emby involvement. that's why i would strongly suggest using the built-in live tv if at all possible. Just to be clear there's no problem with ServerWMC, I'm certainly not trying to suggest that. It's just easier to help you with the live tv support that we created. If it's working with Vlc off then why not just watch the program and enjoy it?

Hi @@Luke I'm not sure you are following is going in this thread.  So I have been using Emby for quite some time now, and have been using the Fire TV App for direct streaming all my Live TV.  Now, all the sudden which I have tracked down to the latest versions of the Fire TV App, I am no longer able to Direct stream my Live TV channels.  I have to transcode them to get them to play.  Which causes stress on the server, especially when several channels are being streamed at once.  That is why I turned off VLC, just to get it to play, and I am experimenting to help @@ebr troubleshoot what is going on.  I am just trying to resolve the issue, and get back to what I once had.  Which is still working on one of my Fire TVs that is version 1.1.49a.

theniteow1

Hey guys, this morning, I was able to find a version of 1.1.46 and manually apply it to one of the Fire TVs that isn't working, and I was able to direct stream all channels without issue.  I sent logs to you about 20 minutes ago through the app.  I used MCuser to login and stream the channels.  One of the channels I streamed was Fox Business 544, and I think I did 20.2 as well.   It looks like it is definitely something with the latest versions that is breaking direct streaming, at least for me. Thanks for looking into this guys!  

I cannot get the logs from .46.

The difference here is the version of VLC which, on almost every front, is an improvement.  For some reason, for you, its not.  There is no way for us to go back to the previous version though.

theniteow1

I cannot get the logs from .46.

The difference here is the version of VLC which, on almost every front, is an improvement.  For some reason, for you, its not.  There is no way for us to go back to the previous version though.

@@ebr Understood.  Is it possibly the way I have something setup?  Is it the equipment I am using to stream TV?  I am willing to try anything you guys can come up with.  What improvements with VLC am I missing out on?

Using the built-in Live TV, if at all possible, could very well solve the issue as it would just eliminate one more moving part.

theniteow1

Using the built-in Live TV, if at all possible, could very well solve the issue as it would just eliminate one more moving part.

@@ebr I have thought of that, the only problem is I have OTA channels, which are provided by two ATI 650 Theater Pro Cards, and two Hauppauge DCR-2650 CableCard which provides my cable channels.  Emby recognizes the Hauppauge's as HDHomeRun's so I think that would work, but Emby doesn't recognize the ATI cards, so that's why I am using ServerWMC.  Is there any plans to add more support to other devices within Emby, besides HDHomeRuns?

Edited by theniteow1

It's possible in the future but right now just HDHR due to the very friendly api that other tuners don't have.

theniteow1

It's possible in the future but right now just HDHR due to the very friendly api that other tuners don't have.

Ok, sounds good.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
theniteow1

@@krustyreturns is there a possibility you could look at this?  I'm starting to suspect there might be an issue with ServerWMC and the newer version of the Android/FireTV App somehow.  Anything below 1.1.49 works with ServerWMC, and direct streams just fine.  However, anything after that seems it is unable to.  Looking at the logs I tried the latest version of the FireTV App this morning at approximately 7:40ish with v 1.2.00 and the same thing.  I tried to tune into channel 2.1, reviewing the ServerWMC logs I don't see that it ever reached Emby.  However, it is still streaming the channel right now, even though the FireTV has been off since I tried it this morning.  Just grasping at straws here.  Any guidance you could provide would be great.

5751c735c8875_Still_Streaming.png

theniteow1

@@ebr I noticed something today playing with this.  I am still not able to get direct play with latest beta, however, I noticed when it tries to direct play my Live TV content, it says Direct/I.  On the other TV that has the older version that works it says Direct/V, no matter what station I choose.  What's the difference, what does that mean?  Thanks!

@@ebr I noticed something today playing with this.  I am still not able to get direct play with latest beta, however, I noticed when it tries to direct play my Live TV content, it says Direct/I.  On the other TV that has the older version that works it says Direct/V, no matter what station I choose.  What's the difference, what does that mean?  Thanks!

There is an option in the settings now that chooses whether or not to use VLC for direct streamed live TV.  Is it checked?

theniteow1

@@ebr I tried turning it on and off, and I didn't make any difference, but I didn't notice if it changed it from Direct/I to Direct/V.  Does V stand for VLC?

Yes, V is VLC and I is the internal player.

I know some people are direct streaming from Server WMC but you have to have the options set properly on that end.  It is also possible that not all tuners will be able to be direct streamed via the third-party plugins.

• Like 1