Music Library issues

vmcosco

vmcosco

All of my Music is tagged with Musicbrainz Picard and sorted in folders as Artist/Album/Songs.mp3

Emby is picking everything up just fine. In Kodi however, I am having some issues:

1) Recently added do not match up. I have 4 albums that I modified Date Added so the albums would not show in recent. The worked in Emby, but they are still showing in Kodi Recently Added

2) I have a handful of Prince albums. There are three album artists (Prince, Prince & the New Power Generation, Prince & the Revolution). The three album artist folders show up that way in Emby. In Kodi, there is only a Prince album artist folder which contains all albums from all three album artists except for one album that is just completely missing. I am having this same issue with my Ben Harper albums that have different album artists.

Any help would be appreciated.

vmcosco

Had a thought tonight regarding #2:

I was looking through Kodi music settings. I noticed that the default providers for artists albums were set to Universal Artist/Album Scraper. Could it be that Kodi is ignoring my tags (that Emby uses) and pulling its own album artist information? Should I change those options to "Local information only" and reset the database?

vmcosco

Really hoping to get some guidance on this.  I posted a related issue here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/33743-music-artist-improper-naming/

I discovered what could be part of the issue but I am stuck on how to fix it. 

As mentioned in the other thread, I am also having issues with Ben Harper.  I noticed, when I would enter Ben Harper on Emby, that the total time was not showing up next to the artwork like it normally does but all albums were still present. I scrolled down and found Ben Harper was listed in the "You might also like" section.  Hmmm, two instances of the same album artist (artwork was different too).  I clicked on that "Ben Harper" and it took me to a new Ben Harper page.  Same albums, but this time the time was showing and the artist arwork matched what is stored locally.

I removed all of my Ben Harper from my directory structure.  Refreshed Emby db.  Went into an artist similar to Ben Harper, and found Ben Harper listed as a "You might like" artist.  Clicked on it, and the page opens but without any albums. 

So, I seem to have a duplicate/old Ben Harper album artist in Emby.  I have to think that is messing up Kodi.  How can I delete this "empty" album artist listing?

majorsl

Hi! I just went through a similar exercise. To date, I was using Emby for just my video media with Kodi. It was doing such a good job, I decided for music too.

I tag all my music with iTunes, but it's the same concept as Musicbrainz Picard in that you're writing the tags to the file itself (good!)

I think you're right on with Kodi overriding your Emby tags.  If everything looks good in the Emby web interface, that's definitely what is happening.

You should not have your Music as a source in Kodi, remove it.  Leave that up to the Emby plugin and make sure you have the music library enabled in it.  The Emby Kodi plugin can't handle music quite the same way it does with video.  You need to setup Path Substitution in Emby OR in the Kodi plugin tell it to direct stream your music from Emby.

For me, I did the latter since streaming music is such a lightweight resource I don't mind.  It also kept things pretty simple.

I can say that once I had Emby take over my music in Kodi, I did have the Kodi Emby plugin do a "Perform local database reset (full resync)" because the local database was keeping info from when I had Kodi managing it.

• Like 1

vmcosco

Hi! I just went through a similar exercise. To date, I was using Emby for just my video media with Kodi. It was doing such a good job, I decided for music too.

I tag all my music with iTunes, but it's the same concept as Musicbrainz Picard in that you're writing the tags to the file itself (good!)

I think you're right on with Kodi overriding your Emby tags.  If everything looks good in the Emby web interface, that's definitely what is happening.

You should not have your Music as a source in Kodi, remove it.  Leave that up to the Emby plugin and make sure you have the music library enabled in it.  The Emby Kodi plugin can't handle music quite the same way it does with video.  You need to setup Path Substitution in Emby OR in the Kodi plugin tell it to direct stream your music from Emby.

For me, I did the latter since streaming music is such a lightweight resource I don't mind.  It also kept things pretty simple.

I can say that once I had Emby take over my music in Kodi, I did have the Kodi Emby plugin do a "Perform local database reset (full resync)" because the local database was keeping info from when I had Kodi managing it.

Thanks for the insight.  I have had Emby managing my nusic from day one and all of my albums and artists have worked flawlessly excepts for Ben Harper and Prince.

I definitely don't have music as a source and music is set to direct stream in the add on.  Everything works great.  If I wasn't so anal I probably wouldn't even care but I just cannot get these two artists to show up in Kodi the same way they do in Emby.

My primary mission/request now is how this duplicate and empty Ben Harper album artist listing deleted from Emby,

majorsl

Could you have a duplicate listed somewhere in a compilation album? I've chased my tail on a couple of those before. I'm right with you, I've got some OCD tendencies when it comes to my music/media lists too. I'd be going nuts.  :)

vmcosco

Could you have a duplicate listed somewhere in a compilation album? I've chased my tail on a couple of those before. I'm right with you, I've got some OCD tendencies when it comes to my music/media lists too. I'd be going nuts.  :)

There is not. Since removing Ben Harper files there isn't even a listing for him in Artists or Album artists but he still shows up in "you may also like..." listings

vmcosco

So I am trying to reset my entire Kodi music database.  I turned off the "Music Sync" option in Emby for Kodi.  I deleted the entire Kodi music database db file from the Kodi user directory.  I restarted Kodi and, as expected, the music library was gone.  I re-enabled the "Music Sync" in Emby for Kodi.  Did a full rescan.  Unfortunately, the music library did not repopulate.  Any thoughts?