Feature Request: Modifying Fast Fw and Rewind behaviour in UI for large lists

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Hi Roku Dev Team,

When lists are are very long

eg. 1000 Movies, 600 Artists

it can take a while to find content, The search helps of course but is not as ergonomic as a fast 'browse to'

Might it be a useful option to allow the seek buttons on remote to jump to next character eg Start of B's, C's D's etc..

Maybe an option - "Seek Behaviour in UI"

• Page Up/Down,
  • Next/Prev Letter (Fixed),
  • Dynamic (Page Up/Down for lists < 75?, Next/Prev Letter for lists >=75)

If holding down the seek for more than x seconds could change the behaviour to scrolling through letters which appear on the screen even better IMO (making dynamic suggestion redundant?)

What do you think to this suggestion or something like it?

thanks for consideration.

Edited by ginjaninja

It is a fine idea, but it isn't something that is possible. You don't have a full list of the movie names, so I can't jump to the next letter one. I'm also not sure we can even override that FF/RW buttons on that screen. It has built in actions and not sure we can override those actions.

ginjaninja

It is a fine idea, but it isn't something that is possible. You don't have a full list of the movie names, so I can't jump to the next letter one. I'm also not sure we can even override that FF/RW buttons on that screen. It has built in actions and not sure we can override those actions.

HI GCW07,

thanks for considering,

Can the server can be queried for content - return me all movies which start with 'X'?

Can the Roku instance a variable "current letter"?

So if a button can not be defined to issue a query to the server based on "current letter +/- '1'". maybe some precooked virtual folders representing each letter of alphabet could?

this would make music browsing much more viable on large collections.

gcw07

There is no way to currently grab all movies that start with the letter X. There is only an option to grab all movies that start with or is greater then the letter. So for instance, if I grab letter A, then it grabs everything all the way to Z. Then grab letter B, same thing it would grab everything all the way from B-Z.

ginjaninja

There is no way to currently grab all movies that start with the letter X. There is only an option to grab all movies that start with or is greater then the letter. So for instance, if I grab letter A, then it grabs everything all the way to Z. Then grab letter B, same thing it would grab everything all the way from B-Z.

thanks for explaining... so not possible for now.

I wonder why the server api does not allow  clients to issue 'select' statements with criteria and get constrained responses; this would have general applications across many functionality /features i would have thought? 

I'm not an experienced dev but there is a way to constrain the amount of data received back from the server (instead of getting the full list), it's called "limit". At least in the getitems api call. The next call would then supply a StartIndex

gcw07

I'm not an experienced dev but there is a way to constrain the amount of data received back from the server (instead of getting the full list), it's called "limit". At least in the getitems api call. The next call would then supply a StartIndex

limit is just a limit of the number of entries. So it doesn't really help. Because doing a fetch of the letter "A" I have no idea how many are actually starting with A, because it returns A-Z. So I can limit the returned, but it doesn't help any because I can't limit it to just the "A" letter returned. 

thanks for explaining... so not possible for now.

I wonder why the server api does not allow  clients to issue 'select' statements with criteria and get constrained responses; this would have general applications across many functionality /features i would have thought? 

It does allow constrained responses, but there is nothing currently that would only give me the results for one letter. So even if you limit the results you don't know what your limiting. For instance I request the letter "A" and limit it to 20 results, well I don't know if A's continue past 20 results or there are only 10 results for it because it is not fetching just A,but A-Z.