Looking for somewhere to start (Persons)

the-dumb1

the-dumb1

It drives me absolutely nuts that I can't "view" my library by persons.  This functionality used to exist and there is no commitment to bring it back.

I looked at the API, and found that there is a Persons API.  I have, perhaps naively, assumed that I could call http://address:8096/Persons but all I get is a "SecurityException" errorcode.  The message is "Access token is required."

Is the API out-of-sync with the code base, or am I just experiencing an ID-10-T error?

Edited by timid1

the-dumb1

I'm pretty sure I'm being naive.  I'm reading things about authentication, but honestly don't know where to start.

I usually like to do a "hello world" type thing when I dive in on something new, but I just don't know where to start here.

Any tips?  In the end, what I want to do is walk through my library and graphically list the People in each movie, and if a movie doesn't have any people listed in it, then to flag that movie.  I'd like to start small, at least figuring out a good starting point.  Can anyone help/provide some tips?

the-dumb1

Thank you!

Let me try this a different way.

I *have* to create a plug-in in order to "access" the Persons plug-in, yes?

I'm a low-level programmer.  OOP is not my forte, but I know how to RTFM and can do even better when I have examples.  I looked at the XMLSaver Plugin as a start, and that helped just a little, but I'm still struggling a bit.  Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

I want to see a graphical representation of "Persons" in my library.  Do I HAVE to create a plugin?

Edited by timid1

No, I wouldn't think you would have to create a plug-in.  You should be able to get that information via the API - but you will have to authenticate in order to do that.

the-dumb1

I'm tracking now, but I am still having trouble.  I didn't want to let this one die, but I won't be able to look at this again until Sunday.  I'll post a trace so that I can be a little more descriptive about where my struggle is.  I'll bet the problem is me. ;-)

Thanks ebr!

the-dumb1
Request URL:
http://localhost:8096/Users/AuthenticateByName

Response Body:
Errorcode - Request Binding Exception
Message - Unable to bind request

Response Code:

My search-fu brings up this: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/11543-api-sessions-problem/

I'm missing more than just the basics.  My inclination was to look at other plug-ins to find out how to start, but based on what I'm told in this thread, I shouldn't have to create a plug-in.

I'm googling now as I write this message, and I'm wondering if all I need to do is use curl to send the information Emby is looking for in order to authenticate?

Just a smaller push in the right direction, please ... :-)