Emby Theater v2.1.2 has far too many bugs in functionality

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

The current release of Emby Theater v2.1.2 has far too many intolerable bugs that are really getting in the way big time.

#1.) First and foremost Emby Theater DOES NOT remote. You can connect to it with a remote Emby client (Android, Web Browser, etc) but it won't actually run any commands you tell it to. It won't start videos, it won't pause videos, it doesn't even follow the navigation like the previous version did.

#2.) After a long-ish duration, while a video is playing, its screensaver mode will activate and take up 3/4 of the screen and permanently mess up the title bar icons until you restart the client.

#3.) If no video is running and the screen saver activates, you will no longer be able to do ANYTHING with the client until you restart it.

These are all very alpha tester level bugs. This is one of the first time I have to say I am VERY unhappy that bugs this big got into a release product. I've been dealing with these bugs for at least the last two weeks. It feels like bugs this big that cripple fundamental functionality would be top priority to fix. 

Spaceboy

but its not a release product, your little byline is very apt in this situation

Edited by Spaceboy

Lighthammer

Then we have a completely different problem.

My Emby Theater updated this as the "current client". 

I'm not set to be in any beta or alpha feeds on Emby Theater. 

KarterJK

I have to agree with OP,  whatever version I had before. (was the one when the new version just released).  It worked perfect, this one I can't even get it to run half the time.

Wish I wouldn't have ever updated.  That will teach me.

Edited by KarterJK

Deathsquirrel

I have to agree with OP,  whatever version I had before. (was the one when the new version just released).  It worked perfect, this one I can't even get it to run half the time.

Wish I wouldn't have ever updated.  That will teach me.

So download the old client, it's still freely available. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29908-previous-version/. 

Lighthammer

So download the old client, it's still freely available. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29908-previous-version/. 

This finally worked. I was trouble shooting all day. The links on the main site update directly to the alpha/beta version and a pervious version of the standalone tries to act like its in the current revision. 

This needs to be addressed =(. It was very frustrating figuring out what was what and event hings that look "right", aren't.

Spaceboy

This finally worked. I was trouble shooting all day. The links on the main site update directly to the alpha/beta version and a pervious version of the standalone tries to act like its in the current revision. 

This needs to be addressed =(. It was very frustrating figuring out what was what and event hings that look "right", aren't.

you need to look more carefully, below the link you are talking about there is a link to the legacy version. and the legacy version would not have updated itself to the newer version, you would have explicitly installed the new one over the old one. so the fault here only lies with one person

Vidman

How would anyone downloading theater know that? Nowhere on that main download page does it mention that the main emby theatre download is alpha/beta/non functional in any way

And also no mention that it currently requires an active internet connection to run

Edited by Vidman

Spaceboy

Nowhere on that main download page does it mention that the main emby theatre download is alpha/beta/non functional in any way

agreed, but where is the post announcing that its ready for release? MBT never left alpha. anyone close to emby knows that the new version is not ready either

Vidman

Maybe but new users will have no idea about any of that...nor will users that are automatically updated

Edited by Vidman

Spaceboy

i agree i think they should add something to say that but lighthammer has been with us since mid 2014 and would have actively had to uninstall the old version and install the new version, it wasn't as if this happened in the background. its another case of users thinking the grass is greener without considering the consequences. same as adding every plugin without knowing what they do and then kicking up a fuss because the server doesn't work

zerosan

I can't shake the feeling that there is no mention of alpha/beta status for the new mbt on the download page, because it actually has the potential to make people pay money for premium.

I personally find it strange to change a reasonably stable application to "legacy" and have the unstable alpha version of it advertised as the main version.

• Like 1

elshagon

Well one is the stable free version while the pay version is adding new features. There will be some bugs with all the new features being added. There's still the option to move forward with the new Emby Theater or use the old stable build. One thing I learned with media browser thru the years is you must be patient.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk