Custom location for subtitles

gardar

gardar

Can we please get a option to store subtitles in another location than the media dir?

I can already choose not to store the artwork and metadata in the media folders and I'd like to be able to do the same for subtitle downloads rather than storing the subtitles in the media directory.

My library is on a read only network share so Emby can't touch my media dir.

• Like 1

anderbytes

Don't know why the SRT location near the media would bother someone...  but that's not for me to decide.

I'm here only to remember that who uses path substitution may be impacted by that, when enabled.

Edited by anderbytes

gardar

It's a good idea, however we don't support it as of now.

I know :)

Hope you can add this sometime in the future

• 11 months later...
computerprep

Don't know why the SRT location near the media would bother someone... but that's not for me to decide.

Just found this topic. This would be a great feature for me. Parallel to my Emby server, I host a FTP server for my content. Would be such a relief to separate my srt files from my media directories.

For kicks, I tried making a dedicated subtitles folder and adding that network location to my movies library, but my test subtitle file disappeared after the library scan.

Edited by computerprep

anderbytes

Just found this topic. This would be a great feature for me. Parallel to my Emby server, I host a FTP server for my content. Would be such a relief to separate my srt files from my media directories.

For kicks, I tried making a dedicated subtitles folder and adding that network location to my movies library, but my test subtitle file disappeared after the library scan.

Do you keep all related files in the media folder? Like nfo... poster...banner... etc?

Because if so, SRT is just one more file.

For me.. keeping all files of a specific context (Ex: movie) is a much more organized way to do it.

anderbytes

Imagine this scenario: you decided to keep all SRT files in just one folder. No matter what media.... movie... episodes...

How... many... TV Shows... use "S01E01 - Pilot" ?

computerprep

Don't know why your panties are getting bunched over this. Not like you'd be forced to do the same thing. But to answer your questions:

1. No, I don't keep all related files in my media folders. As I mentioned, I also host a FTP server to access my media folders. Extra images, nfo's, etc. would muddy that up real quick.

2. Good for you, I'm glad you like organizing that way.

3. Different libraries would easily use their own custom subtitle directory, separating movie subtitles from tv ones from everything ese. TV shows would also naturally follow the standard organizational structure (series/season/episode). Plus, my series title is included in every single episode filename, so your example would actually work just fine.

Edited by computerprep
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...