Live TV streaming using an hdhomerun - I have some questions please

haeffnkr

haeffnkr

Hello,

When I use emby to view my live streaming on my android TV and phone,  the picture is better than if using the HDhomerun/silicon valley view apps.

I assume emby has written their own viewing apps and not just packaged the HDhomerun apps?

Since the picture is better through emby, at what cost is that to the emby server?

Ie when live tv streaming through emby my linux server does not seem to be processing the stream? just passing it through and the clients have to transcode/encode it for display?

ie  - which is the better option for straight live streaming TV viewing, direct to hdhomerun or through emby (outside the added emby benefits for recording and guide information) and what is the CPU cost for doing it through emby?

thanks haeffnkr

Hi, we do play directly to the HDHomerun for apps that support it. When it's not supported, we use emby server transcoding. I haven't used the hd homerun apps so it's hard to compare but it's a question of decoding on the server vs decoding on the device. Their player is probably dropping data on the device in order to make the video playable. Just a guess though.

haeffnkr

Emby has it's own client app for hdhomerun correct?

By "play directly" you are saying emby is just switching the hdhomerun stream back out the emby server to the emby client?

So other than some network processing, the CPU load should be very minimal, correct? (assuming no transcoding is needed for the client to direct play)

thanks haeffnkr

If direct playing then yes, it will be minimal. For apps that require transcoding there will be some cpu impact as well.