I'm not able to set a password for my user

Nazgulled

Nazgulled

Every time I attempt to set a password I get n error (check screenshot). And this is the error log:

2016-03-29 04:24:32.4465 Info UserManager: Authentication request for Ricardo has been denied.
2016-03-29 04:24:32.4465 Error DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5911.0
	Command line: /opt/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby -restartpath /usr/sbin/emby.sh
	Operating system: Unix 3.16.0.0
	Processor count: 2
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby
	Mono: 4.2.3 (Stable 4.2.3.4/832de4b Wed Mar 16 13:19:08 UTC 2016)
	Application Path: /opt/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
	Invalid user or password entered.
	System.ArgumentException
	  at MediaBrowser.Api.UserService+<PostAsync>d__1c.MoveNext () <0x427f7b80 + 0x008ab> in <filename unknown>:0 

2016-03-29 04:24:32.4475 Error HttpServer: Error processing request for /emby/Users/8f31275948c04c0eae9781386a8fb24d/Password
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5911.0
	Command line: /opt/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby -restartpath /usr/sbin/emby.sh
	Operating system: Unix 3.16.0.0
	Processor count: 2
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby
	Mono: 4.2.3 (Stable 4.2.3.4/832de4b Wed Mar 16 13:19:08 UTC 2016)
	Application Path: /opt/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
	Invalid user or password entered.
	ServiceStack.HttpError
	No Stack Trace Available

Any idea how to fix this?

Nazgulled

No idea how can we debug this issue?

I believe I had a similar problem in the past, clearing all the configuration files and starting over "fixed" the problem, but I really didn't want to do that...

Nazgulled

Solved it.

I'm going to explain the issue and what was the problem but I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done on Emby's side to avoid a situation like this.

Here's the issue I was having and how I fixed it:

The thing was, I previously had a password set and I save all my username/passwords to Firefox (on my local PC) so I don't have to input them all the time. I had some issues configuring Emby for Kodi and set my password to nothing (didn't reset the password, it was literally set to an empty password - maybe this is something that shouldn't be allowed). Now, when I tried to set a new password, it was giving me the error above because the "current password" field (which was hidden because my current password was a blank one) was being filled automatically by Firefox with the old password that was saved to Firefox's password manager.

I used Firefox debugging tools to look for hidden stuff and that's how I found all this. I removed the display: none from the current password div and was able to use that input field. I set that to empty, than I typed my new password and the confirmation and I was able to change my password. Awesome :)

I have 2 suggestions to prevent this and/or make the UI a little bit more helpful:

1. Do not allow empty/blank passwords. A password is a password, why would you want a blank one? Yeah, I know, I did this myself but it's stupid and I shouldn't have done it.
  2. The "Login Failure" message I posted on the screenshot is actually wrong. It states the username/password are invalid which is not exactly correct. The problem was that the "current password" didn't match. Maybe show an error message for just that when that's the case. It would have made my issue much clearer.

All in all, I caused this issue, that's on me not you guys fault :) But I suggest the above two changes to make everything more obvious.