Time to do a spring cleaning in bitrates, and auto-adaptive bitrate???

jscoys
Go to solution Solved by Koleckai Silvestri,

jscoys

Hi guys,

Day after day Emby is getting better, thank you very much! But we can thank ourselves too, for our tests and great ideas [emoji111]

In this point minding, I think that now it's time to do a spring cleaning into bitrates. A little picture to illustrate that :

deec49a5b97c291b71402a01b127c9df.jpg

- 1080p should be available at lower bitrate, minimaly 2Mbps and maybe 1Mbps if FFMPEG is able to do.

- 144p is at 192000 bps. Think we should have 64000 bps option, or at least 80000 bps (like YouTube). I saw in FFMPEG doc that it can easily support that. Oh and I already tested in web playback at 64 Kbps and picture quality is blur but better than the 192 kbps option...

Let me know what do you think about that... Oh and an other idea but very very very exciting feature : is FFMPEG/Emby could be able to do auto-adaptive bitrates? I saw few software able to do that but it already exist (I speak about softwares to watch movies from home, not YouTube or Netflix...). So do you think about it and is it possible? [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscoys

So you are saying you want to actually put more choices on that menu...? ;)

In my opinion and it's a suggestion, one more option at the bottom, 64Kbps or xxxp... And replace 720p - 2 Mbps and 720p - 3 Mbps by 1080p - 2 Mbps and 1080p - 3 Mbps. Finally delete the 720p - 4 Mbps.

So if we count, we finally have the same entry number, and we handle 1080p at lower bitrates and we add a lower bitrate for people in very poor bandwith environment.

Edited by jscoys

jscoys

Oh and please debug the 144p option. I think that FFMPEG doesn't like the parameter of 192000 bps. Maybe an offset or something?

Edited by jscoys

jscoys

Can you take these changes in charge? I know that it's not a priority for you, but it's finally very quick to implement...

jscoys

Is someone going to give me an answer? Is this a weird topic or question I asked there? If yes could someone tell me why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jscoys

Deathsquirrel

You have logged a feature request in the appropriate forum.  This is not something that they are likely to change without any community support and they'll watch that thread to track the level of interest I'm sure.

Happy2Play

Luke already commented in Feature request section post.

jscoys

Thx we're waiting for Community feedback, hope will be positive ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koleckai Silvestri

Don't really see a big importance to this. Wouldn't fight it either. Just not something I care about. I have everything set to the largest possible bitrate and resolution as it is.

Chillout

I think the bitrate selections are fine as is.  720p @ 2.0Mbs will look better than 1080p @ 2.0Mbs.  I really see no need to offer 1080p at anything less than 4.0Mbs.

I do think some kind of auto bitrate option would be good.  Let the software client and/or server decide the highest quality based on the network. Having the video temporarily step down quality until it gets caught up is far less annoying than experiencing studdering.

Amazon VOD does this and once in a while the quality will drop for a few seconds and then resume full HD quality once the buffer is replenished.

Edited by Chillout
  • Like 1

Some clients already have automatic detection and that is the way we are moving.

jscoys

Some clients already have automatic detection and that is the way we are moving.

I think you make a reference to automatic detection at the playback startup. @@Chillout deals with the auto-adaptive bitrate which is able to dynamically change bitrate during playback to insure that no connection issues could affect a smooth playback...

It is a really awesome feature but I think it's not easy to implement. If you could do this, it will be really really really awesome!!!

jscoys

Ok so seems my suggestion interests me only... Thx for feedbacks!

I'm really sad but... I respect community opinion!

Edited by jscoys

• Solution
Koleckai Silvestri

I just think there are more important issues for the developers to spend their time on. I suspect that eventually this will become an issue with a developer and get changed in a day when they apply themselves. We've had 3 different dashboard layouts in the last year so it is obvious their personal preferences influence what they work on as much as community opinion.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 1