Reorganize bitrates

jscoys
Go to solution Solved by jscoys,

jscoys

Hi guys,

I would like to suggest some changes in bitrates available in all apps (Web, IOS, Apple TV, Android... etc.).

Here's what we've got :

5705164b4af2a_deec49a5b97c291b71402a01b1

Here are my suggestions :

- 1080p should be available at lower bitrate, minimaly 2Mbps and maybe 1Mbps if FFMPEG is able to do.
- 144p is at 192000 bps and seems buggy (Maybe it needs an offset or something, image is not great, and it's not due to the low bitrate).

- Think we should have 64000 bps option, or at least 80000 bps (like the minimal bitrate available on YouTube). I saw in FFMPEG doc that it can easily support that. Oh and I already tested in web playback at 64 Kbps and picture quality is blur but better than the 192 kbps option...

So to resume, it are really quick wins that we've got here :

- One more option at the bottom, 64Kbps

- Replace 720p - 2 Mbps and 720p - 3 Mbps by 1080p - 2 Mbps and 1080p - 3 Mbps

- Delete the 720p - 4 Mbps entry/option

- Debug the 144p option which seems to be buggy (192 kbps...)

If you count, we've got the same entry number, so the menu is not more heavy after changes I suggest.

The biggest problem here is that I need 4 Mbps to play 1080p videos. I'm sure FFMPEG is able to handle this well at 2 Mbps.

I'm really concern by this because I have some users connecting on my server and I have a 10 Mbps connection. Sometime it's not enough fast to deliver 3 connections at the same time in 1080p and users have to select 720p, so on their 1080 p TV it downgrade dramatically the quality due to a downscaling... With 2 Mbps it will be really easy for me to handle this. I remain at your disposal to test new bitrates with Emby Theatre client for instance.

Thank you very much!

jscoys

Is someone going to give me an answer? Is this a weird topic or question I asked there? If yes could someone tell me why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jscoys

jscoys

Ok thank you, hope these changes suggestion will find a positive community feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk