Is this how Emby is supposed to handle this?

jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1

So I'll describe mysetup. I recently switched from Kodi with MySQL to Kodi with Emby. I have a server running Windows 7 thats on 24/7. I always have Kodi running on that machine to assist with updating the library. I then have about 3 other computes around the house and a couple android devices synced up with Kodi using the Emby plugin.

I'm having an issue. Last night the server downloaded and sorted the new episode of The Walking Dead. On the server machine I can see it is clearly in the ilbrary in Kodi, ready to be watched. I went to go the living room to watch the episode but noticed it wasn't in the library. I then checked out the other devices and it wasn't on any of those either. 

On each instance of Kodi in the settings I do have the "update library on startup" setting enabled. Updating the library using Kodi doesn't find the episode.

I then go into the Emby addon settings and enabled the "Show syncing progress" option. I then restarted Kodi and it started comparing all the movies and tv shows. It did eventually find the episode and added it to that computer. The problem though is that it takes a good 5-10 minutes for this process to complete.

I then went to another computer and had the same issue again. 

With MySQL once the server added the episode to its Kodi, it would show up instantly on all of my devices. I didn't have to refresh the library or anything even.

Is this how Emby is supposed to handle this situation?

Edited by jeremytodd1

xnappo

Were the devices on at the time? 

If not: Do you have the SyncQueue addon installed on the server?

If so: Likely there are unidentified items in your library that are causing lots of false updates.  See the 'how to report a problem' thread and post a log. 

Note you should *not* have the Kodi scraper running at all - you do not want any libraries set up in Kodi.  I think you probably don't, but that 'update library on startup' is for the Kodi scraper - nothing to do with Emby.

Edited by xnappo

jeremytodd1

Were the devices on at the time? 

If not: Do you have the SyncQueue addon installed on the server?

If so: Likely there are unidentified items in your library that are causing lots of false updates.  See the 'how to report a problem' thread and post a log. 

Note you should *not* have the Kodi scraper running at all - you do not want any libraries set up in Kodi.  I think you probably don't, but that 'update library on startup' is for the Kodi scraper - nothing to do with Emby.

I do not have the Syncque addon installed on the server. I just assumed that the Emby addon would do all the syncing...

Would that fix this problem? Where do I get that addon?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the thread that kind of explains installing the addon. I'll give it a shot!

Edited by jeremytodd1

xnappo

Did the new epp show up in emby.

You don't need Kodi running on the server when you are using emby as your media server.

He said it showed up - it was just slow.

jeremytodd1

It looks like that SyncQueue plugin fixed my issue.

Before, it was scanning my entire library to find new items. Now with the plugin it only scans the new items.

xnappo

Since it showed up eventually, it must be on the server.

I agree 'I always leave one running to assist in updating' makes no sense - that doesn't do any harm or good though. 

I then go into the Emby addon settings and enabled the "Show syncing progress" option. I then restarted Kodi and it started comparing all the movies and tv shows. It did eventually find the episode and added it to that computer. The problem though is that it takes a good 5-10 minutes for this process to complete.

He didn't answer my question as to whether Kodi was already running or not, but since he chose that choose your own adventure answer, I am guessing it was not running.

Edited by xnappo

jeremytodd1

I agree 'I always leave one running to assist in updating' makes no sense - that doesn't do any harm or good though. 

He didn't answer my question as to whether Kodi was already running or not, but since he chose that choose your own adventure answer, I am guessing it was not running.

Kodi was running. I just thought that was assumed because I mentioned how it's always running on the server.

And how I had it setup before with MySQL it was recommended to have Kodi running all the time to help make media appear instantly. 

I suppose I don't need to do that anymore with Emby.

Edited by xnappo

xnappo

Okay, if Kodi was running you may indeed have a second problem.  Emby server should have sent info about the new episode through the web socket, and all running Kodi clients should have been updated 'instantly'.  Experiment with adding a fake episode (just make something like a text file called Cheers/Season 01/S01E01.avi) wait until it is seen on the server and see if it updates properly/quickly on your running clients.  The SyncQueue addon makes it sync quickly when you restart, but if it is already running you should not have to.

And yes, running Kodi all the time is not needed, since Emby is doing the monitoring now.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

jeremytodd1

Okay, if Kodi was running you may indeed have a second problem.  Emby server should have sent info about the new episode through the web socket, and all running Kodi clients should have been updated 'instantly'.  Experiment with adding a fake episode (just make something like a text file called Cheers/Season 01/S01E01.avi) wait until it is seen on the server and see if it updates properly/quickly on your running clients.  The SyncQueue addon makes it sync quickly when you restart, but if it is already running you should not have to.

And yes, running Kodi all the time is not needed, since Emby is doing the monitoring now.

xnappo

So the couple of random episodes it added today were pretty quick to show on other devices after I installed that addon.

Like I could see the other computers had to scan to find them, but the scan was pretty quick because it only had to add the new stuff it looked like.

Is that how it's supposed to be or is this not working correctly either?

Angelblue05

Here is how it works. The server does an action and alerts devices connected via the websocket of that action. Then, the add-on asks the server for the item that changed, and recreates the action in Kodi (update, remove, added, playstate). If your Kodi is offline at the time, two things can happen. One, you have the server plugin installed, so it "records" the action and the time it happened. When Kodi comes online, we get all the server actions that happened from the last time it was online. If you don't have the server plugin installed, then the add-on will pull a basic list of your server content and compare using a checksum value. This process is slower than using the server plugin.

Note there is only one thread for this process, meaning new actions are added as a queue (they are processed in order received, one after the other). Hope this helps understand the process.

So to answer your question, all your devices should update at the same time when adding new content (if they are all online at the time). Best way to test, change a poster for a tv show, check how it reflects in Kodi. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

jeremytodd1

Here is how it works. The server does an action and alerts devices connected via the websocket of that action. Then, the add-on asks the server for the item that changed, and recreates the action in Kodi (update, remove, added, playstate). If your Kodi is offline at the time, two things can happen. One, you have the server plugin installed, so it "records" the action and the time it happened. When Kodi comes online, we get all the server actions that happened from the last time it was online. If you don't have the server plugin installed, then the add-on will pull a basic list of your server content and compare using a checksum value. This process is slower than using the server plugin.

Note there is only one thread for this process, meaning new actions are added as a queue (they are processed in order received, one after the other). Hope this helps understand the process.

So to answer your question, all your devices should update at the same time when adding new content (if they are all online at the time). Best way to test, change a poster for a tv show, check how it reflects in Kodi. :)

Oh, so it only does that when each device is on and has an instance of Kodi running? Because thats not the case.

The server is always on, but thats the only one thats always on. Like the living room PC isn't always on with kodi running or anything like that.

xnappo

If they are off, then they get the updates at startup via the SyncQueue add on.  All we are getting at is your devices should always get the newly added episodes without manual intervention.  If they are not we can help debug.

To be clear, when I asked if Kodi is running,  I meant on the machine missing episodes, not some other machine -- with this setup that makes no difference at all.

Edited by xnappo

jeremytodd1

Ok. So something still isn't right.

So the server has added a few episodes to Kodi. On the server computer I open Kodi and see the episodes in the library perfectly.

I then go and turn on the living room PC and start Kodi but the episodes aren't there right away. It has to scan about 400 or so items.

I then just shut off that PC and start up Kodi on my android phone. That device has to scan 1,887 items. 

Each device has done a scan before the new episodes were added. After it is finished doing the scan (on each device) the episodes do show up on that device.

I do have that SyncQueue addon installed on the server.

I don't want to have to wait several minutes on each device just to show the newly added episodes. 

That SyncQueue addon is supposed to prevent this, right?

jeremytodd1

Please post a log, something is not right

So this is a log from one of the computers that had to scan about 500 or so items just to add one new episode. The new episode did add itself to the library after this scan.

kodi.log

Edited by jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1

So this is what it looks like on my side. This isn't the greatest example because this one was on my nicest PC and it was really quick to do the whole process.

Basically it has to do this on all devices to show the new episodes. On my android devices this process can take several minutes before it shows the new episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa4aLcz2JFo&feature=youtu.be

Angelblue05

Ok, but in the video, it shows the fast sync which is as good as it's going to get. The question is why the server generates so many updates. I don't know if this post would help you mitigate the amount of updates your server generates, but it's worth trying: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23971-fast-startup-sync-server-plugin/?p=315390

Edited by Angelblue05

jeremytodd1

If you start Kodi and see the above (from the video) and then shut down Kodi and then start it again do you see the same items being updated again?

Or does it not happen again until the next day?

Emby updates items on a schedule, it could be updating items overnight that the client needs to sync.

Why it updates items can vary, try the above link with info on how Actor images in NFOs were causing one user problems with item updates.

So I started up Kodi on this PC and it scanned about 140 items. I then exited and restarted Kodi and it did not need to scan.

I'll take a look at that link and see what I find.