Cannot connect to server with Emby Theater (web version tv.emby.media)

Starlionblue

Starlionblue

I am having problems connecting to "tv.emby.media" from a variety of client devices. The Emby Connect pin thing works fine. 

• On Xbox One I do see my server listed. But I get the error message when trying to connect. I have also tried manual connection with both DNS name and IP address. I get the error message "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."
  • On two different Mac OS machines as well as on an iPad and an iPhone, I can't even see the "select server" listing after doing the pin thing. All I get is the Emby logo top left, the time top right, and a whole load of blackness. Same on Chrome and Safari.

I seem to have this problem everywhere except on the Windows machine hosting Emby Server.

Emby clients such as Emby Theater, Emby for WMC and Emby for iOS work fine, as does app.emby.media. 

Logs here.

Any ideas?

Edited by Starlionblue

Starlionblue

Are all devices on the same LAN?

Yes indeed.

Just for yucks I tried to connect from outside the network. Works with other clients (e.g. Emby for iOS) but not with tv.emby.media.

Starlionblue

is your firewall completely locked down prevent traffic out the machine getting in?

I've tried with firewall completely off on the server. No difference. In any case if the firewall was locked down, I think this would also stop other clients (e.g. Emby for WMC and Emby for iOS) from connecting, no?

NWGiles

I have reread

local server and local host don';t work on the never version of windows

look for Windows8LoopbackManager.exe on this site, luke provided a link and instructions

it works on mine, now

Starlionblue

I have reread

local server and local host don';t work on the never version of windows

look for Windows8LoopbackManager.exe on this site, luke provided a link and instructions

it works on mine, now

That does actually fix my iOS devices. However I still get "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."  on the Xbox when I click the server after doing the pin thing.

NWGiles

unfortunately I don't use it on my xbox so i can't offer any advise,

is there an xbox specifc section?

Starlionblue

unfortunately I don't use it on my xbox so i can't offer any advise,

is there an xbox specifc section?

There is not. In theory it's just "Edge browser" and should work as a web app like in Chrome on Windows or whatever.

Thanks for the help in any case. It did fix some of my issues!  :D  :D  :D

I get the same error.   The pin works fine and it displays the server but immediatly gives the "can't connect" message.  Trying to use the "add" server results in the same message.   Of note is that on the "Select Server" screen I see my server name with a screen-sharing type icon but on my PC's I see the person icon with my user name.

​Probably unrelated but hopefully something that can be avoided as it is a show stopper, every time I tried to go to the site I had to re-do the 'sign in' steps including the pin. I don't see this when trying it on my PC's.

​I am able to connect and play content via the DLNA media player app and through the Edge browser by logging into http://computername:port/mediabrowser/dashobard/login.html (movies will play as expected).  I am able to connect to http://tv.emby.media as expected on the Windows 8.1 host machine and on a Windows 10 laptop.  So it isn't a general issue with the network or ability to connect to the server, it is only with http://tv.emby.media on the xbox one.

Edited by Curtis
  • Like 1

Starlionblue

I get the same error.   The pin works fine and it displays the server but immediatly gives the "can't connect" message.  Trying to use the "add" server results in the same message.   Of note is that on the "Select Server" screen I see my server name with a screen-sharing type icon but on my PC's I see the person icon with my user name.

​Probably unrelated but hopefully something that can be avoided as it is a show stopper, every time I tried to go to the site I had to re-do the 'sign in' steps including the pin. I don't see this when trying it on my PC's.

​I am able to connect and play content via the DLNA media player app and through the Edge browser by logging into http://computername:port/mediabrowser/dashobard/login.html (movies will play as expected).  I am able to connect to http://tv.emby.media as expected on the Windows 8.1 host machine and on a Windows 10 laptop.  So it isn't a general issue with the network or ability to connect to the server, it is only with http://tv.emby.media on the xbox one.

Sounds like you and I have exactly the same problem. I'm scratching my head with this one. :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

I think there's just some connectivity issue going on, as in the device can't reach your emby server, and it's probably never been an issue before because you've never tried it before. 

Starlionblue

I think there's just some connectivity issue going on, as in the device can't reach your emby server, and it's probably never been an issue before because you've never tried it before. 

app.emby.media works on the very same Xbox. Of course then I have to use "mouse" commands as opposed to controller but it does playback and stuff.

Wouldn't that indicate that the Xbox can reach the server? They're on the same LAN.

Edited by Starlionblue