emby server - drill down one more level for library access

dnicks

dnicks

i wish in the server settings under User/Library Access you could open up each library and choose specific shows or movies that are in that library that you want a specific user to have access to.  not sure if it's possible, but would be a really easy way to control what shows are in each users library.

dnicks

i guess i just don't understand why you would want to have your users go through that process when there could be a much easier way to do it.  sometimes i think people are so set on showing what they can do with their app that they lose sight of how to actually make things simpler for the user.  for example, all the apps are pretty much the same now because emby wants anyone to be able to pick it up and use it.  that's great and i'm all for it.  why, though, when i open up ET or web app am i greeted with a screen where a random show is highlighted?  that makes no sense.  if i want to get to all my shows, i click down...oh, wait, that highlights favorites.  now i click left and i'm at all series.  same goes for suggestions, etc.  that stuff is cool and looks great, but some of us just want to watch our shows.

my point is, yes, i can do what i described above a lot of different ways, but don't we all want the easiest way possible?

Deathsquirrel

@@dnicks I don't think EBR was suggesting users edit tags and parental controls.  I wouldn't let my users anywhere near those settings.  Pretty sure he meant that if you can you can do it as the Emby admin ;)

You can also do a lot of that through library controls.  Setup libraries that group your movies in a way that supports your users.  It didn't make sense to do that because boxsets were done on disk but now the collection function is virtualized it could work really well.

dnicks

Yes we do and what you want is what's easiest for you, not nessassarly anyone else

show me one person who thinks it's easier to use parental controls and tagging rather than what i'm suggesting.

the truth is, there is nothing about using the app that makes it easier for the user, it's all a way to make things easier for the devs. i get it that you want to come to the defense of emby.  it is a good app, i use it all the time, but it seems like FR and suggestions are usually met with some sort of way to work around the issue instead of taking someones suggestion seriously.  obviously, this doesn't affect you or you would understand why i think there's an easier way.

@@dnicks I don't think EBR was suggesting users edit tags and parental controls.  I wouldn't let my users anywhere near those settings.  Pretty sure he meant that if you can you can do it as the Emby admin ;)

You can also do a lot of that through library controls.  Setup libraries that group your movies in a way that supports your users.  It didn't make sense to do that because boxsets were done on disk but now the collection function is virtualized it could work really well.

i understand that, but as an admin i don't want to do all that either.  there is a much easier way and lots of people have requested it.  sure, i can go through all that, i just don't understand why it should be necessary.  you know, i can get to work 100 different ways, but i like to take the shortest route.  just seems to make sense to me.

Edited by dnicks

Vidman

My point was not to defend the devs, some of the choises they have made I do not agree with. My point is you believing that your way of doing things is the right and most popular one, which is not nessassarly true

Edited by Vidman

This is still a valid request.  I was just offering a way you could accomplish what you want to now.