MB Intros: Limit trailer repeats...

Harblar

Harblar

I love the touch the intros plugin adds to watching movies, especially when properly configured.

That being said, in the last few days I've watched half a dozen movies which should amount to 12 trailers (2 per movie)... However, I've only actually seen 3-4 different trailers. Several trailers seem to be favored much more than others out of the 100+ or so it has downloaded.

There should be an option to limit the maximum number of times any one trailer can be played in a given time period and/or a button on the remote that allows me to perma ban/remove any trailers I absolutely do not want to see again... Ever! (Tyler Perry... I'm looking at you.)

Anyway, just my thoughts on an improvement! :-)

I don't use the plugin so I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think it bases it off of the similarity of a movie. For instance, you start an action movie and well it shows action trailers. @@ebr correct me if I'm wrong on that as I very well may be.

Harblar

Yeah... Which works only somewhat accurately. I keep getting previews for the same two romantic comedies when playing movies like the dark knight rises, wolverine, and kill bill.

Played the hobbit last night and got the trailer for smaug, which is good, followed by some crappy trailer for the best man something or other, which is bad. Seems like it picks this one trailer on every movie I play...that and that stupid Colin Farrel/Russel Crow time traveling loveydovey train wreck.

Like I said, a button to permanently delete a trailer and prevent it from being downloaded again, would be nice! :-)

GC is correct - it tries to be intelligent about the trailer selection.  Which does mean, if you watch similar movies, you will get the same trailers a lot.

The factors involved are primarily rating and genres but if a trailer for a movie with the same director or actor is there, that will get favored heavily.

Harblar

I see what you mean. In the old MB2 version I seem to remember there was a slider bar to adjust how closely it tried to match the movie being played. When you adjusted it down it didn't match as closely, but I never had a repeat trailer. any possibility of bringing that feature back? :)

• 3 weeks later...
Mopar_Mudder

I have a similar issue that may be related or able to be solved the same way. I don't use MBTrailers because it will not download tailers, I download all upcoming trailers manually and keep 30 at time I think.

I use MBIntro's to play two random files from that folder that the trailers are stored in. Now it doesn't do any kind of genre matching when doing this (would be cool if it did!), and I have the same problem with repeating the same few trailers over and over again. For me something as simple as MBintros marking a trailer as watched when it plays would be great. Then have MBintros only play a trailer that is not marked watched, if they are all watched it clears them all and starts over.

Don't know how close this ties in with using MBTrailers. Like I said all of mine are downloaded to a folder and each trailer is in its own folder with the meta data for each movie just like your normal movie library is done.

Edited by Mopar_Mudder