Some comments about navigation

fraenhawk

fraenhawk

I noticed that if you're in the settings and you are on a setting that has a combobox of choices (which almost every setting does), the back button is ignored. If you want to get out of that setting sub-screen, you have to navigate all the way up or right so that the focus is on search or user and then back works again.

There's some awkward navigation using the letter bar at the bottom of the all series/movies screens. If I navigate to a letter and press up, I would expect to be on a movie in that letter range. i.e. I go to J, and press up, I would expect to be on Jane the Virgin since that's a J show. However, instead it picks a show that begins with I (next column over from the J shows). Because it also highlights the letter I now, if I then immediately press down it jumps me to the beginning of the I's! Not sure the cause. At first I thought it had to do with where the letter was compared to the centerline of the posters, but if I go down to W the screen scrolls over so that when I go up from W it ensures I highlight a W poster. Thought it had to do with if the first of that letter fell on the top or bottom row, but in my movies I have H's starting on the top yet when I press up I get the last movie in the G's. Very frustrating to navigate.

swhitmore

I noticed a few of these too. Another I'd like to mention is that the only way to open up all items in a library is by selecting the 'all items' button in the bottom left. I'm finding a lot of the time I'll be looking though 'Next-Up' items for something to watch, then decide I was to watch something else. Because I have just navigated to the right, I now have to go all the way back to the left again to open 'all Items'. 

I think a great solution to this would be to allow the user to open 'all items' by pressing on the collection title. I think this worked on the old Emby Theatre. I think @@Luke mentioned this would make it difficult for mouse users to select a tab, so I'm hoping these is a way to do different actions for a mouse and keyboard/remote.

Edited by swhitmore

puithove

I noticed that if you're in the settings and you are on a setting that has a combobox of choices (which almost every setting does), the back button is ignored. If you want to get out of that setting sub-screen, you have to navigate all the way up or right so that the focus is on search or user and then back works again.

There's some awkward navigation using the letter bar at the bottom of the all series/movies screens. If I navigate to a letter and press up, I would expect to be on a movie in that letter range. i.e. I go to J, and press up, I would expect to be on Jane the Virgin since that's a J show. However, instead it picks a show that begins with I (next column over from the J shows). Because it also highlights the letter I now, if I then immediately press down it jumps me to the beginning of the I's! Not sure the cause. At first I thought it had to do with where the letter was compared to the centerline of the posters, but if I go down to W the screen scrolls over so that when I go up from W it ensures I highlight a W poster. Thought it had to do with if the first of that letter fell on the top or bottom row, but in my movies I have H's starting on the top yet when I press up I get the last movie in the G's. Very frustrating to navigate.

I've seen all of this as well.  Definitely things that would be nice to have fixed.

Edited by puithove

• 1 month later...
Nebular Nerd

I'm finding the same thing with the 'All Movies/Shows' needing to be clicked to access the whole library, the old Emby let you click Movies / TV Shows / Whatever at the top and jump straight into that category it's a very counter intuitive change to remove something that has been part of the interface for this long.

I'm also puzzled by the wonky letter jumping, I was really looking forward to trying this version now it finally supports external players (just) but it's these issues taking away the joy of the shiny interface.

I'm finding the same thing with the 'All Movies/Shows' needing to be clicked to access the whole library, the old Emby let you click Movies / TV Shows / Whatever at the top and jump straight into that category it's a very counter intuitive change to remove something that has been part of the interface for this long.

I'm also puzzled by the wonky letter jumping, I was really looking forward to trying this version now it finally supports external players (just) but it's these issues taking away the joy of the shiny interface.

I have no idea how the letter jumping is puzzling or wonky. It's a pattern used by lots and lots of apps nowadays.

fraenhawk

I thought I was pretty clear in my original explanation of where the letter jumping isn't working well. I've never had another program with letter jumping go to a different letter than what was picked.

MikeMcEwan

I agree with both of these points made in the original post. It seems odd to not be able to just click "Movies" at the top of the home screen.

For the letter navigation, if you go through the letters to "M" and then go up, I think it's reasonable to expect that 99% of people would assume you would be on the first movie to start with the letter "M". It does seem odd that it would go to the last movie starting with "L".